NCAA basketball 2014-15 thread

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 04:36 PM)
Stephen Bardo takes to Twitter today to say the cops overreacted to the Darius Paul situation (ignoring the resisting arrest part of the story) and that it only happened because Champaign is a racist town. Well done Bardo. Way to get a fan base to turn on you in a split second.

The type of people that will turn on him aren't relevant to the program anyway.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 05:14 PM)
The type of people that will turn on him aren't relevant to the program anyway.

He's not exactly helping the program by drawing attention to this incident more AND telling recruits the town they might play in is full of racists with 1960's views.

Also f*** him for saying the whole town is racist. The town that followed/follows black athletes like him for decades and decades. He's and idiot and my opinion of him has changed for sure.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 05:46 PM)
He's not exactly helping the program by drawing attention to this incident more AND telling recruits the town they might play in is full of racists with 1960's views.

Also f*** him for saying the whole town is racist. The town that followed/follows black athletes like him for decades and decades. He's and idiot and my opinion of him has changed for sure.

So if you follow black athletes you can't be racist. Got it.

I just don't see what the big deal is. He obviously hates Champaign so much that he let his son attend college there. A few parts of his experience he didn't enjoy, his son had a questionable incident, he is just speaking his mind a little bit. Plus, are you really trying to tell me that Champaign isn't racist at all? Not even a little bit?

QUOTE (kev211 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 08:04 PM)
ISU could make a run too. They're going to be very improved.

The whole conference should be excellent.

Yup. It's going to be a very fun conference. You guys are seemingly adding a JUCO everyday, kinda crazy.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 08:12 PM)
Yup. It's going to be a very fun conference. You guys are seemingly adding a JUCO everyday, kinda crazy.

Plus with Macintosh being eligible, if they can all learn to play together it could be an awesome team.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 06:58 PM)
They bust the under ragers every weekend now unfortunately. White or black, it's a good source of income.

Bardo tries to hard. He basically goes out of his way to bash Illinois to try and pretend he's partial or something and comes out sounding like an idiot.

I got busted in college, but let's not kid ourselves. Campus cops especially in "southern" towns are a bit racist. It says nothing about the campus or students. Cops are pricks.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 02:32 AM)
I got busted in college, but let's not kid ourselves. Campus cops especially in "southern" towns are a bit racist. It says nothing about the campus or students. Cops are pricks.

That seems like a generalization. Heck I thought the stereotype went the other way with "southern" towns and athletes.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 10:46 PM)
Very true.

My brother and I were at am OSU tailgate a few years back and because our cups werent totally opaque we got drinking tickets. Mind you they were not very see through and had maybe one last sip of beer left. Total power trip on 30 year old dudes surrounded by 150k people drinking.

My arrests in college were ridiculous. One was because i went out to the sidewalk to talk to cops about a noise complaint and my ID was in my room. They kept me for over 12 hours. I was over 21. While i was in there they refused my request to go the bathroom so i just about pissed myself before they finally unlocked me because i was in so much pain. Oh yeah, i was handcuffed to the wall.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 10:42 PM)
It is. How about all college cops are pricks?

When I was in college, I was walking home from a party and saw a campus cop eyeing me. So I decided I'd walk through campus and force him to drive around campus to find me, at which point I'd be off campus and he really wouldn't be able to do much. NOPE. He drove on the sidewalk through campus to try and find me. I just kept my head down, kept my pace at a brisk walk, and kept on moving, giving him no reason to get out. There was nothing he could do.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 09:04 AM)
Look, I think it is ridiculous that he would be suspended a year for smoking. But I also think it is equally ridiculous that he took one puff and got busted for it. Come on.

Agreed. I'm sure he was a regular user. Just trying to save face for NBA teams.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 09:04 AM)
Look, I think it is ridiculous that he would be suspended a year for smoking. But I also think it is equally ridiculous that he took one puff and got busted for it. Come on.

Especially since the NCAA only tests for marijuana during the NCAA tourney so your really do just have to be a f***ing moron to get caught. Hell, I'm sure every coach in America has a calendar which tells the players when they need to stop smoking to avoid detection if they are randomly tested during the tourney.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 07:36 PM)
So if you follow black athletes you can't be racist. Got it.

I just don't see what the big deal is. He obviously hates Champaign so much that he let his son attend college there. A few parts of his experience he didn't enjoy, his son had a questionable incident, he is just speaking his mind a little bit. Plus, are you really trying to tell me that Champaign isn't racist at all? Not even a little bit?

Yeah, I think that statement is true. An entire town can't be racist while cheering for, and celebrating, the accomplishments of black athletes (and doing so for a very, very long time). The Flying Illini are talked about in Champaign like the 85 Bears are in Chicago. They're a beloved team. They JUST had a 25 year anniversary celebration for them. I bet Dee Brown is the most famous/favorite Illini of all time, and he happens to be a black dude with cornrows. And the people of Champaign love him despite hating black people?GMAB.

Bardo is still a well known face around town. It's moronic to say that because some black kids have had some bad experiences on/around campus (an experience mind you, when he ran away from cops, because that's NEVER a sign that a kid is trying to hide something), the entire community is racist and stuck in the 60's. Tell people there are still racist cops. Tell people you had some s***ty experiences. Don't stereotype an entire town of people and make the school look bad in the process. You're not being an advocate for the school when you do that. IIRC Bardo's also not exactly the most perfect guy in this regard. In a prior book he s*** on someone in the program and it didn't sit well and i'm sure he did it to sell books (oh and he just happens to have a book that was published recently).

And no, I don't think Champaign is racist anymore than any other town in this country. A small % of people may be racist, but not the town, and not the majority of the people in that town.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 08:36 AM)
More like he failed one drug test for marijuana was suspended for an entire season. More NCAA bulls***

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mitch-mcgary-...-073833742.html

If he falls, I would LOVE to see the Bulls draft him. He would be a great fit for how the Bulls use the big in the high screen roll. The kid can shoot and handle the ball.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 09:52 AM)
Yeah, I think that statement is true. An entire town can't be racist while cheering for, and celebrating, the accomplishments of black athletes (and doing so for a very, very long time). The Flying Illini are talked about in Champaign like the 85 Bears are in Chicago. They're a beloved team. They JUST had a 25 year anniversary celebration for them. I bet Dee Brown is the most famous/favorite Illini of all time, and he happens to be a black dude with cornrows. And the people of Champaign love him despite hating black people?GMAB.

Bardo is still a well known face around town. It's moronic to say that because some black kids have had some bad experiences on/around campus (an experience mind you, when he ran away from cops, because that's NEVER a sign that a kid is trying to hide something), the entire community is racist and stuck in the 60's. Tell people there are still racist cops. Tell people you had some s***ty experiences. Don't stereotype an entire town of people and make the school look bad in the process. You're not being an advocate for the school when you do that. IIRC Bardo's also not exactly the most perfect guy in this regard. In a prior book he s*** on someone in the program and it didn't sit well and i'm sure he did it to sell books (oh and he just happens to have a book that was published recently).

And no, I don't think Champaign is racist anymore than any other town in this country. A small % of people may be racist, but not the town, and not the majority of the people in that town.

Well put. He's not just "speaking his mind a little bit" Littlehurt. He's painting with one hell of a broad brush there, and deserves any and all blow back he receives. It's pretty ridiculous to take one incident (in which, again, he ran from cops...) and have him jump to that conclusion or opinion.