• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

FWIW

http://www.freep.com/article/20140425/SPOR...igan-basketball

McGary told Yahoo that he had been tested eight times in his two years at U-M, including five times this year, when he was mostly injured. He said he passed all of them.

U-M is not allowed to reveal drug-test details without student consent, meaning McGary decided to go public.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 09:52 AM)
Yeah, I think that statement is true. An entire town can't be racist while cheering for, and celebrating, the accomplishments of black athletes (and doing so for a very, very long time). The Flying Illini are talked about in Champaign like the 85 Bears are in Chicago. They're a beloved team. They JUST had a 25 year anniversary celebration for them. I bet Dee Brown is the most famous/favorite Illini of all time, and he happens to be a black dude with cornrows. And the people of Champaign love him despite hating black people?GMAB.

Bardo is still a well known face around town. It's moronic to say that because some black kids have had some bad experiences on/around campus (an experience mind you, when he ran away from cops, because that's NEVER a sign that a kid is trying to hide something), the entire community is racist and stuck in the 60's. Tell people there are still racist cops. Tell people you had some s***ty experiences. Don't stereotype an entire town of people and make the school look bad in the process. You're not being an advocate for the school when you do that. IIRC Bardo's also not exactly the most perfect guy in this regard. In a prior book he s*** on someone in the program and it didn't sit well and i'm sure he did it to sell books (oh and he just happens to have a book that was published recently).

And no, I don't think Champaign is racist anymore than any other town in this country. A small % of people may be racist, but not the town, and not the majority of the people in that town.

Everybody in Chicago loves the 85 Bears who had many black players, so therefore there are no racism issues in Chicago whatsoever. Got it.

Maybe Bardo's comments sounded a bit too all encompassing and didn't need to make it sound like the entire town is racist. I guess I just didn't take them as literally that he's damning every citizen of the town.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 12:11 PM)
Everybody in Chicago loves the 85 Bears who had many black players, so therefore there are no racism issues in Chicago whatsoever. Got it.

Maybe Bardo's comments sounded a bit too all encompassing and didn't need to make it sound like the entire town is racist. I guess I just didn't take them as literally that he's damning every citizen of the town.

I mean that's the problem, he said the community of Champaign, and people got on him for being too broad with that statement, and he just kept going with it. At one point I think he said that the school itself was fine for students but not the cops and the community at large.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 03:19 PM)
Sounds like they tried to use fake IDs at a bar on Little 5 weekend. Brilliant.

I saw that. They would have to be two of the least likely to get away with it, and two of the least likely to need it...

QUOTE (gatnom @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 05:58 PM)
I saw that. They would have to be two of the least likely to get away with it, and two of the least likely to need it...

If they really tried to use fake IDs at a bar for Lil 5 they're morons. Complete and utter morons.

I assume they drink because they're college students. But this is a different level of stupidity.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 07:34 PM)
Iowa's Peter Jok arrested for driving drunk. He was on a moped and blew a .082.

What kind of team could we have with Yogi, Darius, McGary, Jok, and Robinson?

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 11:11 PM)
What can you Purdue folks tell me about Ronnie Johnson (other than his stats)? Apparently he's visiting Tennessee this week.

As long as you can tolerate the floater and the blunts, you'll like him.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 08:25 PM)
Damn racist Iowa City cops

I don't know about other places, but Iowa City cops have been a little more gung ho about arresting athletes than they are the rest of the student body. I wouldn't say racist as they go after white athletes as well. That said, the athletes should be, and are, very aware of this.

I am against drunk driving as much as anyone as one of my best friends was brain damaged for life in HS due to one. But 2:30 AM on a moped in downtown Iowa City, if he is going to hurt anyone, it is only himself. I'm thinking if it was just a Marketing major from Naperville, they would have given him a ticket for not having a flag, and illegal lane usage, and told him to walk back to his dorm and pick up his moped in the morning. It's not like Jok was trashed.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 08:52 PM)
What's wrong with the hire? Don't know anything about him other than the resume. D2 national champion. Hiring d2 coaches is sort of unprecedented but if you just think of as a longtime assistant, which he was, I don't see the problem.

It is honestly one of the worst hires I could imagine.

We know from his assistant years at mizzou that

1. He could not recruit, because nobody he recruited was good.

2. He was an assistant toward the end on some very bad Norm teams.

3. He is old. Really old.

4. He was such a good D2 coach that no low-tier program offered him a step-out.

We aren't talking about Bo Ryan here. By the time this guy builds a program he'll be at the point most coaches start thinking about retirement.