Electric Lawn Mower

JUSTgottaBELIEVE

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 08:52 AM)
So, anyway, back to the actual topic, does anyone have recommendations on a decent self-propelled mower?

The Honda I bought has been fantastic in the two years I've had it, and Hondas generally last a good long time as well. I forget what model I got, it wasn't high end, but I think not quite their very bottom end either. It is self-propelled, key-start. Toro is a good brand too.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Just spoke with a landscape architect. Looking to drastically reduce our water usage, as I have spoken about in this thread before.

Guy looked at the property on Google Maps and had some great initial observations/ideas. Said his fee is $120/hr. Sort of made my eyes pop out of my head for a second.

Has anyone hired a landscape architect before? Do they generally just do the design and then you bring in a different firm for the labor, or do they do it all?

Just curious.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 16, 2014 -> 12:52 PM)
Just spoke with a landscape architect. Looking to drastically reduce our water usage, as I have spoken about in this thread before.

Guy looked at the property on Google Maps and had some great initial observations/ideas. Said his fee is $120/hr. Sort of made my eyes pop out of my head for a second.

Has anyone hired a landscape architect before? Do they generally just do the design and then you bring in a different firm for the labor, or do they do it all?

Just curious.

I'd imagine the architect/designer is just going to do the layout for you. You'll have to hire the laborers to do the work. But i'm sure he has plenty of references available, or should if he's reputable.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

• 2 years later...

Fired my landscaper yesterday. Just wasn't getting the job done.

Considering taking over the job myself on a weekly basis, but hiring someone to come in once a quarter or something to sort of "clean things up."

Property is about an acre. Priced out some riding mowers and other tools and I honestly think I could buy all the equipment and it would pay itself back within a year, given what I pay to have the work done for me.

Anyone here have one of those zero turn mowers? I have a crapload of trees so this looks like the best option.

Shack you've been looking at possibly moving right? May want to hold off on buying equipment unless you plan on doing the maintenance yourself at the new place, just a thought that it may not be worth the hassle quite yet.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 05:07 PM)
Shack you've been looking at possibly moving right? May want to hold off on buying equipment unless you plan on doing the maintenance yourself at the new place, just a thought that it may not be worth the hassle quite yet.

Yeah, I am aware...I'm just always shaking s*** up looking for the next move.

Waiting on this damn appraiser so we have some kind of idea what we are looking at with our property, particularly after doing the reno work last year.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 07:14 PM)
Yeah, I am aware...I'm just always shaking s*** up looking for the next move.

Waiting on this damn appraiser so we have some kind of idea what we are looking at with our property, particularly after doing the reno work last year.

Ha I feel you, hopefully you find out soon so you can start figuring out the next steps a bit more clearly.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 05:22 PM)
Fired my landscaper yesterday. Just wasn't getting the job done.

Considering taking over the job myself on a weekly basis, but hiring someone to come in once a quarter or something to sort of "clean things up."

Property is about an acre. Priced out some riding mowers and other tools and I honestly think I could buy all the equipment and it would pay itself back within a year, given what I pay to have the work done for me.

Anyone here have one of those zero turn mowers? I have a crapload of trees so this looks like the best option.

My father in law got one a couple of years ago and he loves it. Most of my neighbors have one. I've just got a regular one and it's a bit of a PITA to turn around obstacles, but it was free so can't complain too much.

I mowed our lawn for the first year that we lived in our house. I enjoyed doing it but the time that it took for me to do both front and back yards (about .25 acre) it just wasn't something I could do anymore. We have to much s*** to do on the weekends. We had to hire a lawn service which is about 100 bucks a month but its money well spent. I dont worry about my lawnmower giving me problems every other week and I dont have to factor in 3 hours of my time every weekend being wasted on cutting grass.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 10:22 AM)
I mowed our lawn for the first year that we lived in our house. I enjoyed doing it but the time that it took for me to do both front and back yards (about .25 acre) it just wasn't something I could do anymore. We have to much s*** to do on the weekends. We had to hire a lawn service which is about 100 bucks a month but its money well spent. I dont worry about my lawnmower giving me problems every other week and I dont have to factor in 3 hours of my time every weekend being wasted on cutting grass.

We went from about 1/4 acre in Woodridge and cutting it with a push mower to about 1 acre in Homer and cutting it with an (old) lawn tractor. It takes me about half the time now, around an hour.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 10:35 AM)
We went from about 1/4 acre in Woodridge and cutting it with a push mower to about 1 acre in Homer and cutting it with an (old) lawn tractor. It takes me about half the time now, around an hour.

When my family lived in Ann Arbor, we had 3.5 acres of grass including a very steep hill on which the house sat. Took about 3-4 hours with our John Deere, man that was a chore.

I currently spend about 30 minutes every Sunday morning picking up dog s*** so my landscaper doesn't curse at me for stepping in it when he mows. I suspect with the right equipment, such as a medium-duty zero turn radius riding mower, I could get through my 1 acre parcel in about an hour. I actually looked into the electric versions of the mower, but it doesn't appear to be sold anywhere near the Las Vegas area (not surprising, I suppose). Given that I can't fix anything, I was encouraged by the notion of having no gas, no oil, no pulleys, etc. But I suspect I will go with a gas model if I do indeed decided to purchase equipment.

Anyways, in regards to the requirements of taking care of the property a bit more myself, I actually think it will help me get to appreciate my property a bit more and get to understanding it a bit more, which ultimately will lead to increased enjoyment of it.

And hell, I figure in over a 3-year period, even splurging on the equipment a bit, I can save $8-10k on what it would have cost to pay someone else.

Spent this holiday weekend cleaning up after Mother Nature took down 3 trees in my yard early last week. Purchased my first chainsaw, and really had no clue what I was doing. Figured it out pretty quickly though and made mincemeat out of these trees that came down.

Was pretty pleased with myself. Even buying a new chainsaw, figure I probably saved myself several hundred dollars versus calling a tree company to haul them off for me.

Funny thing is, to a man, like every person I mentioned this too was very concerned about my safety...they all know me quite well :) Managed to complete the job with all appendages intact.

• 3 weeks later...

Bought a mower!

A honda walk-behind 4 in 1 self-propelled mower. Honda seemed to have the best reputation in this space, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on this instead of a riding mower.

I really don't think this will take all that long. This sucker flies. I guess we'll find out Saturday.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 09:31 PM)
Bought a mower!

A honda walk-behind 4 in 1 self-propelled mower. Honda seemed to have the best reputation in this space, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on this instead of a riding mower.

I really don't think this will take all that long. This sucker flies. I guess we'll find out Saturday.

My honda was purchased in 1983, still runs. They are the best

Haha...I mowed the lawn last Saturday morning...figure I have about 30k sq ft of grass. Took about 1:45 mins, but I had a fuel refill as well as some initial annoyances with the air filter.

It came out gorgeous!

Thinking I can do it every two weeks for the time being.

Next on my list is a string edger and a backpack blower.

The water district here in San Antonio offers $100 towards drought resistance plants to replace 200 square feet of lawn. We have so far replaced about 1000 square feet of lawn with gardens. The area must be mulched to help conserve water. Bonus is we have a butterfly and hummingbird haven. With several sitting areas we enjoy the gardens. Of course this does not work with kids who want to play in the yard.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 01:20 PM)
My honda was purchased in 1983, still runs. They are the best

When I ran the Boy Scout camp we had a Honda and a Deere. Both worked amazingly well. I think I prefered the Honda because it was slightly quieter. The Deere seemed to start easier.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 10:08 AM)
When I ran the Boy Scout camp we had a Honda and a Deere. Both worked amazingly well. I think I prefered the Honda because it was slightly quieter. The Deere seemed to start easier.

Mine is no longer quiet, but it still runs and starts up first pull.