Bullpen Leverage and Maikel Cleto

Feeky Magee

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 02:21 PM)
Do you really like Nate Jones as a prospect? If so, I defer, but what makes you think he will be adequate to special? I know you guys love stats but Nate truly truly does not pass the eye test. I can't remember too many guys I've deemed eye test failures who ended up good. Hopefully I'm wrong.

You don't have to be special to be a closer. Joe Borowski made $14 million in his playing career with pretty pedestrian numbers and stuff.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 03:21 PM)
Do you really like Nate Jones as a prospect? If so, I defer, but what makes you think he will be adequate to special? I know you guys love stats but Nate truly truly does not pass the eye test. I can't remember too many guys I've deemed eye test failures who ended up good. Hopefully I'm wrong.

1. It's not difficult to be an adequate closer if you're an adequate relief pitcher.

2. Nate throws 95+.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 01:21 PM)

The problem with the "eye test" is that it's just a matter of your opinion. What's the difference between your opinion and mine? Doesn't really matter.

Do I think he passes the eye test? Yeah. He's been an average to above average reliever when healthy. That kind of guy can absolutely be a closer. He just probably won't be good for very long. Very few relievers ever are.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 03:52 PM)
1. It's not difficult to be an adequate closer if you're an adequate relief pitcher.

2. Nate throws 95+.

Balta; What do you consider adequate???? The original poster said Jones should be able to match Reed's 40 last year. Also you totally leave out the mental part. Not every reliever can be a closer. Matt Thornton, albeit a lefty, an adequate reliever struggled in that role.

• 2 weeks later...

Hindsight is a remarkable thing. We were trailing 6-4. You use set up guys to get to the point you bring in your closer. If we were tied or had the lead then Lindstrom comes in. There was nothing sinister about the move. Cleto and others have great upsides. He has a good arm and can hit 100 MPH. Problem is oftentimes he doesn't know where the ball is going to go. That is where the work in progress is. Chalk it up to that rebuilding thing we are always talking about

The original post was from a couple weeks before but it is still valid after last night. Our bullpen has improved but bad things can still happen from time to time

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ May 9, 2014 -> 06:56 AM)
More a point on how he obviously wasn't pitching well despite his low ERA and it finally caught up to him

This.

Haven't read the whole thread, but I haven't seen Cleto DFA'd/optioned/whatevered/Francisco called up as I expected to this morning. Maikel has NO idea where any of his pitches are going.

We could give him a chance to screw up one or two more games, or we could just say adios.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 02:21 PM)

How does Jones not pass the eye test? He has the best stuff of anyone we've had since Jenks.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ May 9, 2014 -> 10:54 AM)
This.

Haven't read the whole thread, but I haven't seen Cleto DFA'd/optioned/whatevered/Francisco called up as I expected to this morning. Maikel has NO idea where any of his pitches are going.

We could give him a chance to screw up one or two more games, or we could just say adios.

Now you have.