Sox @ Tigers, Quintana vs. Scherzer, 4/24, 12:08, CSN

LittleHurt05

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The Tigers' announcers were already calling for Ventura to be questioned about that inning by reporters after the game as Webb came in.

I think Webb had 5 walks in 11+, so it's not like his control has been impeccable. It's just that Cleto's control is so untrustworthy.

Adam Dunn continues to look dangerous.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 01:39 PM)
Are you the guy from Ireland who doesn't know anything about baseball?

I'm from Ireland, yes. I feel like I've learned a lot about baseball but I accept that others will inevitably know more. I think Cleto is a fairly easy case to analyse though, he just can't throw strikes. Until he learns how to, I would say it's a fairly uncontroversial opinion to say the Sox should stop putting him in for high-leverage situations, no?

That has been the case in many games so far in 2014.

I'll buy the pitching half of that equation, but not the hitting half. Going into today, the Sox were hitting .267/.347/.478 with 2 out and RISP. AL average is .208/.302/.327.

It's not looking good, but Detroit's bullpen is really, really bad. A 3 run deficit is not insurmountable, even with Beckham and Danks in the lineup.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 01:42 PM)
Yeah it's Robin's fault Cleto walks everybody and Webb gives up a hit. What role did your boy Coop play?

None.

You get behind in the count to a Miguel Cabrera and you're dead in that situation. Even one playing at 80%.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 02:43 PM)
I'm from Ireland, yes. I feel like I've learned a lot about baseball but I accept that others will inevitably know more. I think Cleto is a fairly easy case to analyse though, he just can't throw strikes. Until he learns how to, I would say it's a fairly uncontroversial opinion to say the Sox should stop putting him in for high-leverage situations, no?

The problem is that there aren't too many guys in the bullpen who can handle high-leverage situations right now. Cleto has good stuff but lacks control. Hopefully he can correct that, because he could be an effective reliever.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 02:43 PM)

No, it was a not a slight. I was saying for someone who came in with little or no knowledge of the game, that was a very astute comment you made about Cleto, and I feel the exact same way. They need to hone his control in situations that won't hurt the team. Don't give up on his arm, but don't put him in situations where he is likely to fail either. Build him up for it.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 03:45 PM)
These are two terrible bullpens battling it out today. Can't wait to see the Tigers overpay for another reliever at the deadline.

Did they do anything with their weak bullpen last year?