sox need to trade alexei once out of contention

ron883

QUOTE (ron883 @ May 2, 2014 -> 05:27 PM)
The guy is lighting the place up like dynamite this year. He isn't getting any younger, and with the Sox if depth, they can lose him and be ok in the future. He would fetch a killing in the trade market. I think this is a no brainer if the Sox fall out of contention

The trouble is that his salary is pretty high and I think we'd get a salary dump return, so not much value in trading him, especially as we don't have a good alternative.

Ideally, getting De Aza to have a hot 2 months and trading him would be the way to go. But the slow start + OF injuries make that problematic. Beckham too, but slow start will preclude that.

So now we're basically down to someone like Belasario, presuming he continues to pitch well.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreenSox @ May 6, 2014 -> 08:45 AM)
The trouble is that his salary is pretty high and I think we'd get a salary dump return, so not much value in trading him, especially as we don't have a good alternative.

Ideally, getting De Aza to have a hot 2 months and trading him would be the way to go. But the slow start + OF injuries make that problematic. Beckham too, but slow start will preclude that.

So now we're basically down to someone like Belasario, presuming he continues to pitch well.

Everything considered, Alexei Ramirez does not have a high salary. $10 million is the average rate for a SS now a days. Given how well Alexei's playing, the dude's practically a bargain at $10 mill a year.

QUOTE (Dunt @ May 8, 2014 -> 01:22 PM)
Thinking Alexei needs to stay with this team unless they are blown away by an offer at this point

He is in his prime and I agree. Alexei is good and it seems as soon as we get someone good the call is to trade him for unknowns

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 8, 2014 -> 02:58 PM)
He is in his prime and I agree. Alexei is good and it seems as soon as we get someone good the call is to trade him for unknowns

I dunno man this is a classic sell high scenario unfolding. He's 32, his peak is over, probably after this year. His range isn't what it was when he first joined the Sox and although he's still an excellent defensive player he's probably going to regress to average as soon as next year. Father time is still undefeated.

IF, and this is a big if, the market is there for him (and by that I mean a top 100 prospect + an A ball lottery ticket or two) then you make that trade every single time. If the market is a B prospect and filler then that's a hard decision for Hahn to make. If there isn't even that, then yea, keep him.

Third best player on the team, plays a position where we dont have much else at all. MLB has parity (and MLB asks you to get into the playoffs, basically. getting in is the goal). so trading him means you dont think we're going to compete 15, 16 etc. But we would have to be really bad to not compete.

To find that much defense with palatable offense is really difficult at SS. The weird thing is the Sox have the things you seek ...ace, SS, possible all-star cleanup type guy...............but the replaceable stuff just isnt in yet. Bodes well for '15 though. Striking distance.

Round out the rotation, pen, and C.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ May 8, 2014 -> 02:08 PM)
Third best player on the team, plays a position where we dont have much else at all. MLB has parity (and MLB asks you to get into the playoffs, basically. getting in is the goal). so trading him means you dont think we're going to compete 15, 16 etc. But we would have to be really bad to not compete.

To find that much defense with palatable offense is really difficult at SS. The weird thing is the Sox have the things you seek ...ace, SS, possible all-star cleanup type guy...............but the replaceable stuff just isnt in yet. Bodes well for '15 though. Striking distance.

Semien has spent the majority of his time at SS, and for the long term plan of the Sox, he will probably need to move back there to fit either Sanchez or Johnson into the lineup at some point. I don't think Alexei gets traded because there won't be a market for him. Almost all of the teams that will be in contention have long term solutions at the position with the exception of the Yankees, and I don't see them making a play for a SS until next winter.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 8, 2014 -> 02:19 PM)
Semien has spent the majority of his time at SS, and for the long term plan of the Sox, he will probably need to move back there to fit either Sanchez or Johnson into the lineup at some point. I don't think Alexei gets traded because there won't be a market for him. Almost all of the teams that will be in contention have long term solutions at the position with the exception of the Yankees, and I don't see them making a play for a SS until next winter.

Doubtful to me that the Sox are considering Semien or Sanchez to be building blocks. Semien is looking at utility role unless pro-career-long K problems get snipped.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ May 8, 2014 -> 02:08 PM)

Supremely wishful thinking, but I would love for the Sox to get Lester/Shields and Street this offseason. I think that makes them a playoff team next season.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ May 8, 2014 -> 02:25 PM)
Doubtful to me that the Sox are considering Semien or Sanchez to be building blocks. Semien is looking at utility role unless pro-career-long K problems get snipped.

I disagree, Semien's K problem is about as good of a K problem as you can have; Its systemic from the fact that he doesn't swing enough, which to me is a hell of a lot easier to correct than someone who consistently expands their zone. Semien's swinging strike % is 9.5 and his zone contact % is 82.9 lastly his zone swing percentage 59.4%.

TL:DR Marcus swings at strikes in the zone 60% while making contact on said strikes nearly 83%, Simply put he has a very good eye and needs to become more aggressive on strikes in the zone while maintaing his discipline at balls out of the zone to correct his problem. The good news is Semien is getting deep into counts the bad news (see: inexperienced) he is making the wrong decision late in counts that are leading to his prolific K rate.

The Sox have the potential for a very good cheap infield and its possible if Davidson gets back on track at the minor league level they move him and leave Semien at 3B he has 20/25-20/25 (across three levels last year he hit 21HR and stole 26 bases) potential which would be well above average for that position. In Carlos Sanchez is see Everth Cabrera as a realistic comp or Erik Aybar if his power continues to develop, his glove has always been highly regarded at 2B and I think he could be average to slightly above at SS where his bat would play even better considering his low .ISO. Lastly Micah Johnson still has a bit of work to do against left handed pitching in terms of driving the ball, but its nice to dream on the idea that maybe he can develop into a Kenny Lofton type of player at the keystone.

QUOTE (beautox @ May 8, 2014 -> 03:06 PM)
I disagree, Semien's K problem is about as good of a K problem as you can have; Its systemic from the fact that he doesn't swing enough, which to me is a hell of a lot easier to correct than someone who consistently expands their zone. Semien's swinging strike % is 9.5 and his zone contact % is 82.9 lastly his zone swing percentage 59.4%.

TL:DR Marcus swings at strikes in the zone 60% while making contact on said strikes nearly 83%, Simply put he has a very good eye and needs to become more aggressive on strikes in the zone while maintaing his discipline at balls out of the zone to correct his problem. The good news is Semien is getting deep into counts the bad news (see: inexperienced) he is making the wrong decision late in counts that are leading to his prolific K rate.

The Sox have the potential for a very good cheap infield and its possible if Davidson gets back on track at the minor league level they move him and leave Semien at 3B he has 20/25-20/25 (across three levels last year he hit 21HR and stole 26 bases) potential which would be well above average for that position. In Carlos Sanchez is see Everth Cabrera as a realistic comp or Erik Aybar if his power continues to develop, his glove has always been highly regarded at 2B and I think he could be average to slightly above at SS where his bat would play even better considering his low .ISO. Lastly Micah Johnson still has a bit of work to do against left handed pitching in terms of driving the ball, but its nice to dream on the idea that maybe he can develop into a Kenny Lofton type of player at the keystone.

Great post

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ May 8, 2014 -> 02:25 PM)

QUOTE (beautox @ May 8, 2014 -> 03:06 PM)

beautox pretty much covered it. And that doesn't even get into the fact that "pro-career-long" is patently false, as his K numbers in his minor league career were mostly very good. In fact his K:BB ration last year was the best in the Sox system.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ May 8, 2014 -> 08:25 PM)

Semien is most likely the super sub

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 8, 2014 -> 04:40 PM)
Semien is most likely the super sub

Yea I wouldn't write off Sanchez so quickly. He's still young for AAA and the power will probably never develop, but he COULD become a very useful player based on his OBP skills and ability to play a passable SS.

There aren't many shortstops that can go 280/350/380.

A Ramirez trade becoming less and less likely, even though from a statistical regression point, it makes some sense...clearly, he had a lot of things on his mind last year, and eventually the entire team lost focus and it snowballed or mushroomed.

Ramirez's father-in-law, Federico Poquelin, was shot to death outside of his home in the Dominican Republic during the spring of 2013. Ramirez was devastated and, no doubt, was affected by the tragedy.

"Every year is different," Ramirez said before the game Friday through a team interpreter. "You know, sometimes we have personal problems that in one way or another affect you. I feel like those things are behind me now."

With his attention more focused on baseball this season, Ramirez appears to be playing free and easy. And the results reflect that. He entered Friday night with an OPS of .853.

"My expectation is to play hard every day and stay healthy," Ramirez, 32, said. "That's my only expectation. God will provide and get some good results."

Manager Robin Ventura notices a rejuvenated Ramirez.

"When you're doing well … it's easier to look like you have life," Ventura said. "Even in games that he doesn't get a hit, he's trying to be a leader out there and taking over in certain situations in the infield, which is nice to see.

"You have a shortstop, he's very athletic, and in the play he made the other night (making an over-the-shoulder catch in the outfield and doubling up a Cubs base-runner at first) … you could see that. He really has taken to that responsibility in the middle of the infield."

Ramirez says he also is inspired by the presence of the 27-year-old Abreu.

"I am very happy to have all of my teammates, especially being Latin … the players from Cuba," he said. "That is a source of pride for us and as a team collectively."

Ramirez was well aware of Abreu's prowess in Cuba and potential for the major leagues.

"I don't know what the people (of Cuba) thought about him, but I know … I played with him for two years," Ramirez said. "… All he needed was an opportunity to do what he has done, and he is a great player."

In the meantime, Ventura has encouraged Ramirez to take more of a leadership role, especially on defense.

"You can try to do that, but a guy has to want to do it and he just seems like this year he started doing it in spring training," Ventura said. "Part of the result of last year (a 99-loss season) is guys coming in with maybe a different focus on the things that they can get better at. The defensive stuff, he just has been into it more this year."

www.chicagotribune.com/sports

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 10, 2014 -> 05:32 AM)
A Ramirez trade becoming less and less likely, even though from a statistical regression point, it makes some sense...clearly, he had a lot of things on his mind last year, and eventually the entire team lost focus and it snowballed or mushroomed.

If the Sox were of the mind to trade him, his good season should make it more likely that he is traded. Now I don't know that they are of that mind, if for no other reason that they don't have a replacement.

Beckham on the other hand is hitting much better and the Sox do have a replacement for him. But the Sox also see the need to field a competitive ML team (thank goodness).

And then there is the pen....it's pitching lights out. If the Sox are of the mind to trade, the pen is where several chits may reside.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ May 10, 2014 -> 02:31 PM)
If the Sox were of the mind to trade him, his good season should make it more likely that he is traded. Now I don't know that they are of that mind, if for no other reason that they don't have a replacement.

Beckham on the other hand is hitting much better and the Sox do have a replacement for him. But the Sox also see the need to field a competitive ML team (thank goodness).

And then there is the pen....it's pitching lights out. If the Sox are of the mind to trade, the pen is where several chits may reside.

Obviously trades can and will happen but my mindset is you develop your players in hopes they succeed and you win and not be in a perpetual rebuilding/restocking of the farm system mode. It isn't going to hurt our minor league guys to gain more expereince

I think the odds of the Sox trading Ramirez this season are almost nil.

1. The Sox may be out of the AL Central race at some point, given the Tigers pitching, but they aren't likely to be out of the wildcard race at any point where a trade could still logically be made.

2. You don't trade a guy who's playing above his contract, where the Sox have no one who could come close to replacing his production, offensively OR defensively. To trade Ramirez, in other words, is to CREATE A HOLE, when the object of moves is to FILL HOLES.

3. Trading the Cuban would send a very bad message. The Sox have several Cubans now, and with Jose Contreras and El Duque, had several other Cubans recently. This is a plus for the team. We got Abreu for a bargain. Would he have signed with the Sox without that Cuban connection? Would Viciedo have signed?

This would not be a good baseball move. The Sox aren't so poor that they need to unload Ramirez's contract. And it would be very bad for fan enthusiasm.

It's really a HORRIBLE idea.

QUOTE (VAfan @ May 11, 2014 -> 01:26 PM)

1. The Sox may be out of the AL Central race at some point, given the Tigers pitching, but they aren't likely to be out of the wildcard race at any point where a trade could still logically be made.

2. You don't trade a guy who's playing above his contract, where the Sox have no one who could come close to replacing his production, offensively OR defensively. To trade Ramirez, in other words, is to CREATE A HOLE, when the object of moves is to FILL HOLES.

3. Trading the Cuban would send a very bad message. The Sox have several Cubans now, and with Jose Contreras and El Duque, had several other Cubans recently. This is a plus for the team. We got Abreu for a bargain. Would he have signed with the Sox without that Cuban connection? Would Viciedo have signed?

This would not be a good baseball move. The Sox aren't so poor that they need to unload Ramirez's contract. And it would be very bad for fan enthusiasm.

1. Fair

2. No...if you're rebuilding and said player is on the wrong side of 30, you trade him. Plus, the Sox have a lot of middle IF prospects.

3. No it wouldn't. They all know what happens when they sign the deals. If they traded him because he's Cuban, then yes, it'd send a bad message. The Cuban Connection existed long before Alexei.

All that being said, I'd like to hold onto him because I think he'll age well.

QUOTE (VAfan @ May 11, 2014 -> 01:26 PM)

If you don't think you will win with him on this team in the time frame he is signed for, and you get a big offer for him, you absolutely deal him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 11, 2014 -> 04:03 PM)
If you don't think you will win with him on this team in the time frame he is signed for, and you get a big offer for him, you absolutely deal him.

But don't they legitimately have a chance to compete in 2015 and 2016 with another legit starter and a few more veteran bullpen pieces?

(With our current offense, you have to argue yes. But having to replace Flowers/Viciedo/Ramirez/DH and possibly 3B...although Davidson and Gillaspie should provide ONE answer there...then you're pushing things back to 2016 and beyond. That's the year you realistically could expect Rodon to have a big impact too, if he slips to #3 and we can sign him.)

Edited by caulfield12

The Orioles are looking for a good backup catcher. If the Sox fall out of contention, do you think they would be willing to trade for Flowers? They can DH Wieters often when he comes off the dl and will have a replacement for when Wieters leaves at the end of the year due to free agency.

QUOTE (VAfan @ May 11, 2014 -> 07:26 PM)

1. We're eight back in the loss column. I'd say we're out of the Central race right now considering Detroit wins the division every year.

I agree with the rest of your post though.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 11, 2014 -> 09:53 PM)
1. We're eight back in the loss column. I'd say we're out of the Central race right now considering Detroit wins the division every year.

I agree with the rest of your post though.

So you would also agree the Royals are eliminated in early May?