Chris Sale

Jose Abreu

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 09:40 PM)
No, its so simple.

1) They want to break up Sale-Quintana-Danks

2) They would rather have Sale face KC then Astros

I think rest has a little something to do with it too. They have done like that in the past, where they can give him a nice long stretch of down time missing a fewer amount of games.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sale ranked #11 in FanGraph's trade value rankings, the highest rank pitcher in the majors: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2014-trade-value-20-11/

Rank Name Age Team Position Projected WAR Controlled Through Contract Dollars Last Year

11 Chris Sale 25 CHW SP 5.0 2019 $53,150,000 16

Speaking of crazy cheap players in Chicago, Chris Sale is basically Yu Darvish if you extended his deal for an extra three years. Or Felix Hernandez, if the Mariners were also subsidizing 60% of his remaining contract. Sale is right there with the game’s best pitchers, only he’s earning about one-third of what elite pitchers make these days and he has no real chance for a significant raise any time soon.

Or, I’ll put it this way. If a team had a choice between Clayton Kershaw and Chris Sale over the next five years, the money they’d save by choosing Sale would allow them to also afford Adam Wainwright. And that’s why Sale is the most valuable pitcher in baseball right now.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 12:32 PM)
Sale ranked #11 in FanGraph's trade value rankings, the highest rank pitcher in the majors: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2014-trade-value-20-11/

Good stuff. I honestly don't know if the Sox could ever get back a true value for a Chris Sale trade. And that is OK by me.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 12:05 PM)
Sale did a Q and A on Twitter. Said Sierra is the funniest guy on the team. Also said John Danks is his best friend.

I honestly would of never thought that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 12:10 PM)
Addison reed ‏@Areed43 40m

@whitesox who's your best friend who used the be on the sox and now is on the diamondbacks?!

Chicago White Sox ‏@whitesox 36m

.@Areed43 hmmm... I'm going to have to get back to you on that one...

Lol I love Addison Reed, if somehow we can get him back, I'd gladly take him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 12:10 PM)
Addison reed ‏@Areed43 40m

@whitesox who's your best friend who used the be on the sox and now is on the diamondbacks?!

Chicago White Sox ‏@whitesox 36m

.@Areed43 hmmm... I'm going to have to get back to you on that one...

He should've said Daniel Hudson

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jul 27, 2014 -> 02:55 AM)
Saying what? That he may be a top 10 pitcher in the AL right now?

Look at how ridiculous his slider is!

Strikeouts galore!

1.88 ERA!

"But he's on the White Sox so therefore, this will be all you hear about him for 6 weeks."

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 27, 2014 -> 12:00 PM)
Look at how ridiculous his slider is!

Strikeouts galore!

1.88 ERA!

"But he's on the White Sox so therefore, this will be all you hear about him for 6 weeks."

This is one reason I want this team to get hot and go on a run so Sale, Abreu, and Q can get some national love!

Sale has had a tremendous season obviously. An ERA of 1.88 entering August is insane. Unfortunately, he probably has no legit shot at the Cy Young although this is probably his best season so far. Spending time on the DL earlier this year has most likely already killed his chances. His innings pitched and strikeouts will be below guys like Hernandez and Scherzer, and also the amount of starts he has. Is he the best pitcher in the AL? Pretty damn close. Is he the Cy Young in 2014? No.

QUOTE (wardo @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 04:31 AM)
Sale has had a tremendous season obviously. An ERA of 1.88 entering August is insane. Unfortunately, he probably has no legit shot at the Cy Young although this is probably his best season so far. Spending time on the DL earlier this year has most likely already killed his chances. His innings pitched and strikeouts will be below guys like Hernandez and Scherzer, and also the amount of starts he has. Is he the best pitcher in the AL? Pretty damn close. Is he the Cy Young in 2014? No.

Damn you're right. I was going to ask the question has there ever been a team with a Cy Young winner AND the rookie of the year and still finished below .500? You're right though, Sale has no chance at the Cy Young given his projected workload.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 09:47 AM)
Clayton-Kershaw-010.jpg

Say what?

If Sale faced pitchers three times a game, faced NL lineups, and pitched in an extreme pitchers park as Kershaw does vs. the cell, the argument would rage. Personally, I believe it is a very close call.