2014 White Sox draft pick thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 01:31 PM)
It doesn't say he signed for slot, just what slot value is. Here's hoping though.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/06/whit...ncer-adams.html

White Sox To Sign Second-Rounder Spencer Adams

By Steve Adams [June 9, 2014 at 2:22pm CDT]

The White Sox have agreed to terms with second-round pick Spencer Adams, a source tells Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com (Twitter link). The two sides are said to have agreed to the full slot value of $1.282MM.

Adams, who was selected with the 44th overall pick in this year’s draft, was considered a first-round talent by many. Baseball America ranked him 23rd in the final edition of its Top 500, while Jonathan Mayo and Jim Callis of MLB.com ranked him 27th, and ESPN’s Keith Law placed Adams 37th on his Top 100.

BA notes that Adams, a former basketball standout, is one of the best athletes in this year’s class with a fastball that sits in the 93 to 95 mph range. A high school right-hander from Georgia, Adams throws from a three-quarter arm slot that he struggles to repeat at times (per Law’s scouting report), sometimes teetering on the brink of sidearming the ball. MLB.com calls his slider his best secondary offering, noting that both his changeup and curveball have the potential to be average or better pitches that will complement his two plus offerings. Adams had been committed to Georgia but will instead embark on his pro career.

QUOTE (Butter Parque @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 02:25 PM)
Certainly creates the possibility to sign the Mizzou kid.

Comes down to Rodon now. No one else will likely get their full slot other than him. If you get him so sign for $5M, then you have a really decent shot at signing Montes de Oca.

1 (3): Carlos Rodon, LHP, /$5,721,500

2 (44): Spencer Adams, $1,282,700/$1,282,700

3 (77): Jace Fry, /$726,000

4 (108): Brett Austin, /$485,400

5 (138): Zach Thompson, /$363,400

6 (168): Louie Lechich, /$272,100*

7 (198): Jake Peter, /$203,800

8 (228): John Ziznewski, /$162,100*

9 (258): Brian Clark, /$151,400

10 (288): Jake Jarvis, /$141,300

14 (408): Bryce Montes de Oca, /$100,000

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 01:57 PM)
He is a high school kid who has had Tommy John surgery already. There is huge upside there but you don't forfeit a first round pick that could end up being a really high pick (we still don't know how this season is going to go) to sign him.

I read this. What is the draft like next year. Is it deeper this year?

I'm not saying they should just that it is a thought. You'll have a possibly elite talent already in the system for a year compared to a lesser talent pool, if the draft is weaker.

Just something to consider if this draft was as good and deep as the "experts" said.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 01:39 PM)
Comes down to Rodon now. No one else will likely get their full slot other than him. If you get him so sign for $5M, then you have a really decent shot at signing Montes de Oca.

1 (3): Carlos Rodon, LHP, /$5,721,500

2 (44): Spencer Adams, $1,282,700/$1,282,700

3 (77): Jace Fry, /$726,000

4 (108): Brett Austin, /$485,400

5 (138): Zach Thompson, /$363,400

6 (168): Louie Lechich, /$272,100*

7 (198): Jake Peter, /$203,800

8 (228): John Ziznewski, /$162,100*

9 (258): Brian Clark, /$151,400

10 (288): Jake Jarvis, /$141,300

14 (408): Bryce Montes de Oca, /$100,000

I can't see Rodon going underslot. I'm guessing we get him right around $6m

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 02:40 PM)
Rodon is gonna sign at slot or above. No way he is signing for 750k under slot.

Maybe. I think the Sox can get creative and place him on the 40 man roster and maybe sell him on the Chris Sale plan as that will get him to free agency quicker and mean more $$ in the long run. I doubt that he signs for less than slot, but it is really the only way to get enough money to sign Montes de Oca.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 02:22 PM)
Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 2m

Source said #WhiteSox have agreed in principle to sign 2nd-rd pick, RHP Spencer Adams, at slot. Suggested slot is $1.282 mill.

LET'S GO!!! At slot is amazing.

That is awesome

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 02:56 PM)
yea i know its the rules, but what specifically? the fact you committed to the school or that you turned down being drafted?

It's once you get to July 18th ( i believe thats the date) and theoretical register to begin school in the Fall. Once you begin school, you need to wait 3 years.

yea i know its the rules, but what specifically? the fact you committed to the school or that you turned down being drafted?

It's not in MLB's best interests to allow kids to re-enter the draft every year. They get their first shot out of HS. If they choose not to sign, they don't get their second shot for 3 more years, which would be after the third year of college for most kids. Then if you still don't sign you can be drafted again the following year.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 02:59 PM)
It's not in MLB's best interests to allow kids to re-enter the draft every year. They get their first shot out of HS. If they choose not to sign, they don't get their second shot for 3 more years, which would be after the third year of college for most kids. Then if you still don't sign you can be drafted again the following year.

Unless you are juco player, then you are eligible after two years a la Tim Anderson.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 03:06 PM)
I thought it was one year? Bryce Harper went to one for a year to get drafted earlier

I think graduated from high school a year early though. So he was still on the correct timeline. Something like that happened to change the scenario.

Edited by ptatc

Rule:

High school players, if they have graduated from high school and have not yet attended college or junior college;

College players, from four-year colleges who have either completed their junior or senior years or are at least 21 years old; and

Junior college players, regardless of how many years of school they have completed

So I was right, it can be a year for JC