Trade Winds Forum?

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the potential trade pieces and potential destinations:

Gordon Beckham - San Francisco, Baltimore, St. Louis, Miami, Washington, Oakland

Alexei Ramirez - Detroit, Seattle, Cincinnati

De Aza - NYM, Baltimore, Boston, Seattle

Viciedo - Boston, Atlanta, Houston, Seattle

Dunn - Texas, NYY, Oakland, Milwaukee

Quintana - Miami, San Francisco, St. Louis, Toronto, Texas, Seattle, NYY, LAA, Boston, Milwaukee

I think given the need for pitching and Quintana's contract status, he could probably bring back the biggest return of ANY pitcher that will be dealt this summer. I doubt that he is moved, but he would certainly have a lot of value and could fill multiple holes on the roster through one deal.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 04:48 PM)
Looking at the potential trade pieces and potential destinations:

Gordon Beckham - San Francisco, Baltimore, St. Louis, Miami, Washington, Oakland

Alexei Ramirez - Detroit, Seattle, Cincinnati

De Aza - NYM, Baltimore, Boston, Seattle

Viciedo - Boston, Atlanta, Houston, Seattle

Dunn - Texas, NYY, Oakland, Milwaukee

Quintana - Miami, San Francisco, St. Louis, Toronto, Texas, Seattle, NYY, LAA, Boston, Milwaukee

I think given the need for pitching and Quintana's contract status, he could probably bring back the biggest return of ANY pitcher that will be dealt this summer. I doubt that he is moved, but he would certainly have a lot of value and could fill multiple holes on the roster through one deal.

Trading Quintana and Lexi would be dumb if we are ever planning to finish outside of last place again. Embarrassing to finish in last 2 years in a row in a market like Chicago. The rest of those guys are our scraps. If anybody wants them, god bless 'em and good luck Hahn in getting anything but L. Garcia types. I guess if you can get 3 great players go ahead and deal Lexi.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 11:56 AM)
Trading Quintana and Lexi would be dumb if we are ever planning to finish outside of last place again. Embarrassing to finish in last 2 years in a row in a market like Chicago. The rest of those guys are our scraps. If anybody wants them, god bless 'em and good luck Hahn in getting anything but L. Garcia types. I guess if you can get 3 great players go ahead and deal Lexi.

You have to give up value to get value back. Trading players at their highest value allows you to rebuild in a much more efficient manner than waiting for your A ball prospects to eventually make it to the majors. Alexei is going to be a FA right in the middle of the window of contention for the core that is being put together and there are internal options that can handle the position. A deal with the Mariners with De Aza for Nick Franklin, James Paxton, and one of their three struggling prospects Smoak, Ackley, or Montero would make sense. You then have a cost controlled SS, a SP that can be a #2-4 rotational piece, and a lottery ticket to see if a change of scenery will get them going.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 12:36 PM)
You have to give up value to get value back. Trading players at their highest value allows you to rebuild in a much more efficient manner than waiting for your A ball prospects to eventually make it to the majors. Alexei is going to be a FA right in the middle of the window of contention for the core that is being put together and there are internal options that can handle the position. A deal with the Mariners with De Aza for Nick Franklin, James Paxton, and one of their three struggling prospects Smoak, Ackley, or Montero would make sense. You then have a cost controlled SS, a SP that can be a #2-4 rotational piece, and a lottery ticket to see if a change of scenery will get them going.

It is also the quickest way into perpetual rebuilding.

On this team right now, the max value guys are Chris Sale, Jose Abreu, Jose Quintana, and Alexei Ramirez. I'd personally also put Putnam and Noesi on that list, because I think they fall back to earth sooner or later.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 12:05 PM)
He still has played 0 minor league games there.

Micah Johnson was a butcher at 2B last season, so much so that they was talk of moving him to the outfield. He seems to have cleaned up his defense this year, but he's absolutely not a SS. Marcus Semien or Carlos Sanchez would be be more effective replacement. Sanchez has played 21 games at shortshop this season. Marcus Semien has played 214 minor league games at SS, but only six this year.

Edited by southside hitman

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 12:39 PM)
It is also the quickest way into perpetual rebuilding.

On this team right now, the max value guys are Chris Sale, Jose Abreu, Jose Quintana, and Alexei Ramirez. I'd personally also put Putnam and Noesi on that list, because I think they fall back to earth sooner or later.

What is going to make next years Sox team any better than this one? Looking at what is available in FA, they won't likely be heavily involved. Garcia will be an upgrade offensively in RF, but the pitching problems will still be an issue as well as production at LF, and C and a likely downgrade at 2B, DH. Yes, it is a gamble to trade for prospects, but, you have to gamble a little to get rewards.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 01:39 PM)
What is going to make next years Sox team any better than this one? Looking at what is available in FA, they won't likely be heavily involved. Garcia will be an upgrade offensively in RF, but the pitching problems will still be an issue as well as production at LF, and C and a likely downgrade at 2B, DH. Yes, it is a gamble to trade for prospects, but, you have to gamble a little to get rewards.

Yeah, but you don't trade Quintana for anything less than a king's ransom. Good, young cost controlled pitching signed to that kind of contract is incredibly valuable.

Everyone has a price, but that doesn't mean you need to compromise and drop yours. As it stands, the Sox might be able to plan on going into the year with a top 4 of Sale, Quintana, Rodon, and Danks. That alone could add 2-3 wins to the team, and that's not including a potential upgrade to the 5th starter. Trades can be made. Guys can improve. There's a lot that can go right.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 02:39 PM)

If they're not heavily involved this offseason then they're committing to another rebuilding year next year. However, if they were to trade away a guy like Quintana, they're even more so committing to another rebuilding year next year, because you don't expect guys, even from AAA, to step in and contribute right away. We're even dealing with that this year.

Trading one of the big four players on this team would be a PR disaster that would guarantee another major fall in attendance. You might be able to get away with Alexei or Quintana if you got a ready made star in return. If you trade Sale or Abreu because they are max value players, you might as well fold the franchise and move it back to St Paul.

If your goal is "make next year's Sox team any better than this one," your answer should not be "trading top contributors for prospects."

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 02:09 PM)
names??? If its Alexei, who do you feel confident replacing him with? If its Beckham, what is a realistic return?

Yep, those are our middle infielders. Replacements in AAA: Marcus Semien, Carlos Sanchez, Micah Johnson, Tyler Saladino.

As far as Beckham's return: I'm not sure; it's an interesting question. No one is dumb enough to ignore his last four years, but he has the tantalizing pedigree that makes you think he might be on the Alex Gordon development schedule. I guess it'll depend on how many buyers are in on 2B, but if it's 2-3, I'd think we could get something decent, though probably not "exciting."

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 02:13 PM)
Yep, those are our middle infielders. Replacements in AAA: Marcus Semien, Carlos Sanchez, Micah Johnson, Tyler Saladino.

As far as Beckham's return: I'm not sure; it's an interesting question. No one is dumb enough to ignore his last four years, but he has the tantalizing pedigree that makes you think he might be on the Alex Gordon development schedule. I guess it'll depend on how many buyers are in on 2B, but if it's 2-3, I'd think we could get something decent, though probably not "exciting."

In our system "decent" probably is "exciting" as long as there is legit upside involved. Especially if we target pitching, that's our bread and butter. In reality I think Beckham is our best deadline trade chip in that, of all the guys certain or almost certain to go, he will bring the best return.

I think Alexei would have been that guy had Abreu signed elsewhere, but since Abreu is here, Alexei has greater value to our franchise specifically IMO, many of those reasons being non-baseball/on field reasons, and so he's longer a sure thing to go.

Also I am still thinking we should trade for Jacob Turner. Viciedo and Belisario are names that could go in the deal IMO. Otherwise, let's get another RHSP with REAL ability to get in here alongside Noesi. Noesi has a chance, he's done well all things considered, let's get someone else similar as well. Someone else's failure most likely. Turner is another one.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)
Also to the mods: you guys locked the s*** out of this thread, I was going to post in it, but when I saw it was locked I was like "f*** yeah we're opening the Trade Winds Forum!!!" but then I come back and you guys haven't done s***. What gives? Seriously, we need that forum!!!

That was probably Kyyle, he likes to look at threads and then lock them from his phone because he's a jerkface.

I like the idea of bringing in Turner too. He's a little reminiscent of Homer Bailey.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 02:13 PM)

Which one of those guys do you feel confident playing major league shortstop?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 02:35 PM)
That was probably Kyyle, he likes to look at threads and then lock them from his phone because he's a jerkface.

I like the idea of bringing in Turner too. He's a little reminiscent of Homer Bailey.

Well since you're now an admin AND a mod (wite power) you need to keep KyYlE in check IMO. No more thread locking without purpose!

I was going to actually start a new thread, entitled "Gordon Beckham Trade Speculation" but opted not to, I figured it would be redundant. I saw there were other mods in this thread & I thought you guys were separating posts and would basically do that for me.

Seriously, it's Trade Winds time. This team is what it is, and that's not good enough, which is actually great because we need our GM to keep the direction he's been traveling, not take a step "forward" or whatever.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 02:50 PM)
Well since you're now an admin AND a mod (wite power) you need to keep KyYlE in check IMO. No more thread locking without purpose!

I was going to actually start a new thread, entitled "Gordon Beckham Trade Speculation" but opted not to, I figured it would be redundant. I saw there were other mods in this thread & I thought you guys were separating posts and would basically do that for me.

Seriously, it's Trade Winds time. This team is what it is, and that's not good enough, which is actually great because we need our GM to keep the direction he's been traveling, not take a step "forward" or whatever.

When something actually creates a need for the forum, like actual trade rumors, it will come. We don't need a forum simply for people to make up trade ideas. We have twitter for that.