Trade Winds Forum?

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 19, 2014 -> 01:07 PM)
Hey if someone wants to do the Haren deal for Q then I do it. But no, dumping him for s*** is not a good idea. Not that all the Ms players are s*** or anything but given the amount of $$$, quality, youth, the fact that he can pitch just fine in a hitters park in the AL, etc. you ask for a ton & maybe you throw him out there as a counter to Price. But only for a major haul, and I'd rather go quantity of quality Vs. 3 players headlined by some prospect who everyone loves now but who in the end is probably way overhyped.

I agree.

And that's often why you go for prospects in high A, but higher end and more of them. they haven't rotted on the vine, always a risk with AAA prospects.

All these guys except for a few of your players should have a price. No giveaways, and not even "fair deals" for players like Q, but where we get a surplus in return for another team's high need or desperation.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 05:29 PM)
Question for you...have fly balls always been as dangerous as in recent history (say the last 20 years), or is that a more recent phenomenon brought about as a result of the newer, smaller ballparks and the steroid era?

Interesting question, not sure if we (the public) has access to the data to find out. FG shows league-wide HR/FB% back to 2002, and it is always around 10-11% during that period. Not sure how far you havve to go back to see a significant change, though.

Apparently Jays may be looking for a 2B now that Francisco has cooled off a lot (move Lawrie back to third I guess). Anyone think the Jays may want to go all-in and possibly offer up a top pitching prospect (maybe + other lower guys?) for Beckham straight up? I think them of the A's are the best likely teams that would want to upgrade at second in a trade.

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Jun 21, 2014 -> 02:00 PM)
Apparently Jays may be looking for a 2B now that Francisco has cooled off a lot (move Lawrie back to third I guess). Anyone think the Jays may want to go all-in and possibly offer up a top pitching prospect (maybe + other lower guys?) for Beckham straight up? I think them of the A's are the best likely teams that would want to upgrade at second in a trade.

The market is shaping up such that moving him is plausible. I think the Jays could make an offer but no clue what it will be. Will it go through? Talk to you in July.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 21, 2014 -> 02:56 PM)
If the Sox don't intend to spend substantial money for a #2 starting pitcher this offseason, they really should be looking to trade Alexei (while his value is still high).

That's why I think it would be wise to sign Shields and put him in between Sale and Quintana.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 21, 2014 -> 09:01 PM)
That's why I think it would be wise to sign Shields and put him in between Sale and Quintana.

My biggest concern with Shields is all the innings he's thrown in his career, as well as his stuff looking pretty mediocre of late.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 21, 2014 -> 03:03 PM)
My biggest concern with Shields is all the innings he's thrown in his career, as well as his stuff looking pretty mediocre of late.

Yeah. Giving up a draft pick to sign a pitcher in the offseason is a stupid idea. The Sox are still in the process of acquiring young, cost-controlled players. Shields or another free agent pitcher that costs you resources besides money will not happen in my opinion.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 21, 2014 -> 03:44 PM)
Yeah. Giving up a draft pick to sign a pitcher in the offseason is a stupid idea. The Sox are still in the process of acquiring young, cost-controlled players. Shields or another free agent pitcher that costs you resources besides money will not happen in my opinion.

And it should not happen.

This team has maybe 5-6 above average players and only 2 all star level players. A lot more talent is needed before talks of "going for it" make any sense at all.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 21, 2014 -> 03:44 PM)

And it should not happen.

This team has maybe 5-6 above average players and only 2 all star level players. A lot more talent is needed before talks of "going for it" make any sense at all.

What we're really lacking is a true #3 hitter in our lineup (even tho conor is doing a great job) and a #2/#3 starter RH starter. Unfortunately, there really aren't any true #3 hitters hitting FA unless you're gonna spend crazy money. I think getting a guy like Markakis or Zobrist would be smart on a 3 year deal ~ 36 million until we figure out if Hawkins/Avisail can become that guy. Also, getting a vet right hander like Haren or Peavy on a 1-2 yr pact would be ideal. Resign Dunn for a year too ~8 million.

Lineup

1. Eaton CF

2. Semien/Micah/Sanchez 2B

3. Markakis/Zobrist LF

4. Abreu 1B

5. Dunn DH

6. Avisail RF

7. Conor 3B

8. Alexei SS

9. Flowers/Nieto

Rotation

1. Sale

2. Peavy/Haren

3. Quintana

4. Danks

5. Rodon/Johnson

QUOTE (professa @ Jun 21, 2014 -> 04:48 PM)
What we're really lacking is a true #3 hitter in our lineup (even tho conor is doing a great job) and a #2/#3 starter RH starter. Unfortunately, there really aren't any true #3 hitters hitting FA unless you're gonna spend crazy money. I think getting a guy like Markakis or Zobrist would be smart on a 3 year deal ~ 36 million until we figure out if Hawkins/Avisail can become that guy. Also, getting a vet right hander like Haren or Peavy on a 1-2 yr pact would be ideal. Resign Dunn for a year too ~8 million.

Lineup

1. Eaton CF

2. Semien/Micah/Sanchez 2B

3. Markakis/Zobrist LF

4. Abreu 1B

5. Dunn DH

6. Avisail RF

7. Conor 3B

8. Alexei SS

9. Flowers/Nieto

Rotation

1. Sale

2. Peavy/Haren

3. Quintana

4. Danks

5. Rodon/Johnson

They have a #3 hitter. Robin just bats him 4th. I have seen 5 times that I remember this year in which Gillaspie has made the last out with runners on base and Abreu leads off the next inning. With the current team, I'd go like this:

1. Eaton CF

2. Gillaspie 3B

3. Abreu 1B

4. Dunn DH

5. Viciedo RF

6. Ramirez SS

7. De Aza LF

8. Beckham 2B

9. Flowers C

Abreu's probably the best choice for #3, but he's not an ideal #3 either.

Gillaspie should bat 2nd.

Ideally Dunn would be 6th or so in the lineup, but on this team, he's got to bat up more.

Just a lot of holes on this team. Just keep acquiring young talent.

They're not going to throw money at Hanley Ramirez, either.

Chase Headley is a possibility, simply because he's been so terrible for the Padres for two seasons now...but it always comes back to the fact they don't want to have Abreu DHing full-time at this point in his career.

So you can't really move Conor or Davidson to 1B.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 21, 2014 -> 06:38 PM)
They're not going to throw money at Hanley Ramirez, either.

Chase Headley is a possibility, simply because he's been so terrible for the Padres for two seasons now...but it always comes back to the fact they don't want to have Abreu DHing full-time at this point in his career.

So you can't really move Conor or Davidson to 1B.

If we want another declining veteran, go get Headley - and be sure to put up a couple of our best prospects to get him so we can get full deja vu.

He's had one great season and a couple of high OBP, Low-power years....what Gillaspie's giving us.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 21, 2014 -> 08:30 PM)
If they look to add a FA bat this offseason I'm looking for a LH bat to replace Dunn....V. Martinez, Sandoval, Lind, Seth Smith, Rasmus, or maybe Adam Laroach if they push to compete next year., would be the guys I'm looking at in that order.

I would love to add Sandoval.

If they look to add a FA bat this offseason I'm looking for a LH bat to replace Dunn....V. Martinez, Sandoval, Lind, Seth Smith, Rasmus, or maybe Adam Laroach if they push to compete next year., would be the guys I'm looking at in that order.

If we could sign Martinez and trade for Grandal, we could run out the following lineup:

1. Eaton, CF

2. Semien, 2B

3. Martinez, DH

4. Abreu, 1B

5. Garcia, RF

6. Gillaspie, 3B

7. Viciedo, LF

8. Grandal, C

9. Ramirez, SS

That could be a pretty damn good lineup and we'd still have some interesting pieces in AAA (Micah, Sanchez, Davidson, Ravelo).

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 21, 2014 -> 07:47 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=3003298:date=Jun 21, 2014 -> 08:30 PM:name=scs787)-->
<!--quotec-->If they look to add a FA bat this offseason I'm looking for a LH bat to replace Dunn....V. Martinez, Sandoval, Lind, Seth Smith, Rasmus, or maybe Adam Laroach if they push to compete next year., would be the guys I'm looking at in that order.

If we could sign Martinez and trade for Grandal, we could run out the following lineup:

1. Eaton, CF

2. Semien, 2B

3. Martinez, DH

4. Abreu, 1B

5. Garcia, RF

6. Gillaspie, 3B

7. Viciedo, LF

8. Grandal, C

9. Ramirez, SS

That could be a pretty damn good lineup and we'd still have some interesting pieces in AAA (Micah, Sanchez, Davidson, Ravelo).

What are you proposing to trade for Grandal with?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 21, 2014 -> 08:47 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=3003298:date=Jun 21, 2014 -> 08:30 PM:name=scs787)-->
<!--quotec-->If they look to add a FA bat this offseason I'm looking for a LH bat to replace Dunn....V. Martinez, Sandoval, Lind, Seth Smith, Rasmus, or maybe Adam Laroach if they push to compete next year., would be the guys I'm looking at in that order.

1. Eaton, CF

2. Semien, 2B

3. Martinez, DH

4. Abreu, 1B

5. Garcia, RF

6. Gillaspie, 3B

7. Viciedo, LF

8. Grandal, C

9. Ramirez, SS

I'd rather go after Sandoval because then he can play 1b and 3b and alternate dh with Abreu and Gillaspie.