Trade Winds Forum?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 03:01 AM)
Beckham sucks... except for when his trade value is talked about.

Same with DeAza. I figure Beckham will bring somebody like Hochevar, another top draft pick who is a bust. Yes I realize Hoch is injured. It would be nice if the baseball beat writers could write stories where unnamed scouts tell us what the baseball world thinks of our own Beckham. Is he as bad as many of us believe? Is he worthless in terms of trade value as many of us believe? Or will he bring a Keppinger-like return?

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 10:25 PM)
Same with DeAza. I figure Beckham will bring somebody like Hochevar, another top draft pick who is a bust. Yes I realize Hoch is injured. It would be nice if the baseball beat writers could write stories where unnamed scouts tell us what the baseball world thinks of our own Beckham. Is he as bad as many of us believe? Is he worthless in terms of trade value as many of us believe? Or will he bring a Keppinger-like return?

Um, Keppinger brought back absolutely nothing and was released. Isn't that the same thing as worthless trade value?

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 05:59 AM)
He has some trade value. A lot more than a failed former prospect.

if I remember correctly, tor gm AA always liked and wanted beckham and when the season started and before his

stint on the IR, stl, bos and I believe a west coast team was mention to inquire about him. now this may be in

trade rumors or some other sport site, but I couldn't find the sites again.

that was why I was spouting a trade w/stl a few weeks back. a package of players for prospects is the way to go.

stl, still need a 2b with wong in the IR, bos need 2b / of, nyy - 2b / pit, tex need a 1b/dh. so teams that are in the

running need quick fixes. I am not even talking about tor needs.

beckham, danks, viciedo, dunn, and even flower > la dodgers.

then again this may be a pipe dream on my part.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 08:23 AM)
At least be consistent. If Beckham is worth a zero value failed prospect, we should be able to get Grandal for a Jared Mitchell or Erik Johnson (were he to have a surgery to 2).

Grandal has had less than 500 ML PA, and only have of them have been bad. And really, not THAT bad -- he's accumulated 3.1 fWAR over those 500PA, which equates to a very decent seasons, and is better than any stretch of 500 PA in Beckham's career.

Why do we think we can get Grandal for cheap?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 09:43 AM)
Grandal has had less than 500 ML PA, and only have of them have been bad. And really, not THAT bad -- he's accumulated 3.1 fWAR over those 500PA, which equates to a very decent seasons, and is better than any stretch of 500 PA in Beckham's career.

Same logic people think anyone can take Beckham for nothing.

Similar career pattern. Beckham for a few more years; but is having a better year this year.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 10:15 AM)

Similar career pattern. Beckham for a few more years; but is having a better year this year.

What? Beckham has 4 seasons worth of plate appearances more than Grandal. That is silly logic.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 09:43 AM)

Because their best prospect is a catcher and Grandal is expendable and hasn't been great.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 09:15 AM)

Lol the "for a few more years" part is everything.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 09:41 AM)
Because their best prospect is a catcher and Grandal is expendable and hasn't been great.

Why is he expendable? Just because you have a talent surplus doesn't make your surplus worthless. Even if they lose some leverage from having a perceived window to needing to deal him (which is debatable with the presence of any prospect of Hedges' quality), the market price is still going to be determined by the number of suitors and how motivated those suitors would be. LOTS of teams will want a 25 year-old C that has put of 3.1 fWAR over his first 500 PA.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 10:47 AM)
Why is he expendable? Just because you have a talent surplus doesn't make your surplus worthless. Even if they lose some leverage from having a perceived window to needing to deal him (which is debatable with the presence of any prospect of Hedges' quality), the market price is still going to be determined by the number of suitors and how motivated those suitors would be. LOTS of teams will want a 25 year-old C that has put of 3.1 fWAR over his first 500 PA.

Davidson for Grandal straight up. With Headley leaving after this year, they could use a potential replacement. Or we offer an arm and a 2B (Beck and Semien/Johnson/Sanchez?) for Grandal and they could move Gyorko back to his natural position of 3B. I see no room for all of Semien, Johnson, and Sanchez in the future plans and might as well sell on on some of their success in the minors so far.

Edited by chisoxfan310

I am closing this thread. If you have rumors / relevant information, please put it in a separate post. This thread was never intended to be encompassing of rumors (and to that point, there haven't been any major rumors that I am aware of) so speculation regarding players, etc, should be in separate threads.