2014-2015 NBA thread

Damn it, y'all. This thread is by far the best source of information but I can hardly keep up. I hadn't gotten a chance to read today's thread until now and I had 7 pages to read. I'm trying to get work done here.

I now want Melo so bad. I know realistically I'm about to be heart-broken yet again. But I want him.

Edited by dasox24

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 03:40 PM)
He is either waiting for LBJ as it could impact where he ultimately goes or he's seeing if there could be a S&T angle worked to make the money not so much of a difference. That could be why this continues to drag out.

But until he tells Phil "I want to go to Chicago," a S&T is not a possibility. Phil is not going to offer that up to him, because then he loses his negotiation position. He needs to posture like he doesn't want to play ball with Chicago, even if he's ok with Melo leaving.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 03:37 PM)
It's 60 million. There's nothing to think about. 99.99% of people would go back, and he should. If he ends up back in New York and Lebron goes to Cleveland, this was all for show. There's no good reason for the decision to take this long.

Really?

This is one of the last (if not the last) time Melo may have the ability to entirely dictate where he goes while he is still in the prime of his career.

I get that fans are impatient and want the news yesterday, but this is his life. And he should take as much time as he wants, because the people like us on message boards are meaningless. But he needs to make a decision where he wont wake up a day, week, year from now and go "what if".

Completely understandable why it would be hard to commit and why he may be vacillating on his decision.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 03:40 PM)
Damn it, y'all. This thread is by far the best source of information but I can hardly keep up. I hadn't gotten a chance to read today's thread until now and I had 7 pages to read. I'm trying to get work done here.

I now want Melo so bad. I know realistically I'm about to be heart-broken yet again. But I want him.

Don't worry, nothing has happened.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 01:42 PM)
But until he tells Phil "I want to go to Chicago," a S&T is not a possibility. Phil is not going to offer that up to him, because then he loses his negotiation position. He needs to posture like he doesn't want to play ball with Chicago, even if he's ok with Melo leaving.

I completely agree; If he wants to do Chicago he needs to basically put all the pressure on Phil and make it believable that he'll take the Bulls offer. That is why I think Bulls should leak some reports that they have deals in place for Taj and now can offer Melo the full max without a S&T.

Note: None of the above is necessarily true, although you know tarn well they could move Taj if they needed to and make things work. This would then apply the pressure for Phil to at least consider S&T cause either way, Melo is out. I don't think Phil believes Melo walks from 50M, however, if Bulls offer 94, I think Melo might just walk (and leave that 5th year on the table). Bulls offer would technically be more money.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 01:42 PM)
Really?

This is one of the last (if not the last) time Melo may have the ability to entirely dictate where he goes while he is still in the prime of his career.

I get that fans are impatient and want the news yesterday, but this is his life. And he should take as much time as he wants, because the people like us on message boards are meaningless. But he needs to make a decision where he wont wake up a day, week, year from now and go "what if".

Completely understandable why it would be hard to commit and why he may be vacillating on his decision.

I also think deciding to leave takes a lot longer then deciding to stay, so the delay is good news. However, that doesn't mean he doesn't end up choosing to stay, this just means he is at least thinking long and hard about things and we are clearly an option given the delay, imo.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 03:44 PM)
I completely agree; If he wants to do Chicago he needs to basically put all the pressure on Phil and make it believable that he'll take the Bulls offer. That is why I think Bulls should leak some reports that they have deals in place for Taj and now can offer Melo the full max without a S&T.

Note: None of the above is necessarily true, although you know tarn well they could move Taj if they needed to and make things work. This would then apply the pressure for Phil to at least consider S&T cause either way, Melo is out. I don't think Phil believes Melo walks from 50M, however, if Bulls offer 94, I think Melo might just walk (and leave that 5th year on the table). Bulls offer would technically be more money.

That's why I asked earlier why the Bulls haven't, in writing, promised to Melo that they'll offer him that 5th year at X price regardless of the deal he signs before this season. Then you're talking about 15 million over 5 years he's losing, not 30 or 60. But i'm not sure this is allowed.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 01:47 PM)
That's why I asked earlier why (or if) the Bulls could, in writing, promise to Melo that they'll offer him that 5th year at X price regardless of the deal he signs before this season. Then you're talking about 15 million over 5 years he's losing, not 30 or 60.

I don't think they can make those sort of promises but I don't know that for fact. However, if you can't guarantee a contract offer when someone opts out, I can't imagine you can promise an extension. Who knows though. LaMarcus Aldridge is holding off on signing for 1 more year so he can get a bigger / longer max deal.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 03:45 PM)
I also think deciding to leave takes a lot longer then deciding to stay, so the delay is good news. However, that doesn't mean he doesn't end up choosing to stay, this just means he is at least thinking long and hard about things and we are clearly an option given the delay, imo.

Either way it is a difficult decision. There isn't an easy answer. NY offers more money, NY is also Melo's home and where he historically has wanted to play. Unfortunately NY looks like the hardest place to win and the place most likely he would be stuck in mediocrity. Chicago less money, he may not be the #1 star, but likely an improved (yet no guarantee) chance of being a winner.

If I had to guess Id say that if Melo knew hed win a championship, hed be a Bull and take less money. The big concern is that if he leaves NY for the Bulls and they dont win a Championship. Which is ultimately why its taking a lot of time.

I previously said that the longer it took the more I would lean towards there being some sort of change (whether its Bulls or another team.)

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 03:47 PM)
That's why I asked earlier why the Bulls haven't, in writing, promised to Melo that they'll offer him that 5th year at X price regardless of the deal he signs before this season. Then you're talking about 15 million over 5 years he's losing, not 30 or 60. But i'm not sure this is allowed.

I dont believe you are allowed to make these deals. You can give them a "wink", but it likely breaks the CBA.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 03:53 PM)
So I've been busy all day and haven't seen a damn thing. Any new information or same old crap?

I've seen enough with some folks on another site that I am pretty sure Lebron to Cleveland.

My sources say Phil Jackson and Jeanie shared lunch today. Phil had sea urchin spaghetti, Jeanie had cold smoked salmon. Meanwhile, Carmelo and Lala also dined out. They went to McDonalds with their young son Kiyan. Carmelo had 2 BBQ Ranch Burgers, a large order of fries and a strawberry shake. Lala had a side salad and a Sprite. Little Kiyan had a McNugget Happy Meal. It is unknown what his toy surprise was but rumor has it that he wasn't happy with it.

In Vegas, Lebron had lunch today by himself at the Carnival World Buffet. He indulged in pizza, several helpings of barbecue ribs and topped it off with a plate full of seafood enchiladas.

Edited by BigEdWalsh

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 04:07 PM)
My sources say Phil Jackson and Jeanie shared lunch today. Phil had sea urchin spaghetti, Jeanie had cold smoked salmon. Meanwhile, Carmelo and Lala also dined out. They went to McDonalds with their young son Kiyan. Carmelo had 2 BBQ Ranch Burgers, a large order of fries and a strawberry shake. Lala had a side salad and a Sprite. Little Kiyan had a McNugget Happy Meal. It is unknown what his toy surprise was but rumor has it that he wasn't happy with it.

In Vegas, Lebron had lunch today by himself at the Carnival World Buffet. He indulged in pizza, several helpings of barbecue ribs and topped it off with a plate full of seafood enchiladas.

I won't believe anything until the players say it themselves.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 04:07 PM)

Not really happy with Melo's nutrtion today, we might have to move on to a different option.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 03:14 PM)
Not really happy with Melo's nutrtion today, we might have to move on to a different option.

Yes, that was in fact stated to him by my sources to which he replied, "Don't worry fellas, I don't eat here every day".

2li8sis.jpg

Just insane to me.

Thought Cowley actually had a funny tweet:

Sun-Times Basketball ‏@suntimes_hoops 27s

You know those are Cleveland fans in that picture because Heat fans would be leaving the yard before the decision was even made. #Game6

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 04:33 PM)
Could this be the tail wagging the dog?

Maybe Lebron gets caught up in "the return" hysteria and goes back to Cleveland even if he really wasnt planning that to start.

He has to be questioning whether he can actually win in Miami. Wade is regressing terribly, they don't have the money to add anything significant, and HOPEFULLY Rose is actually back and Chicago can be a legit contender again. The 2nd best team in the East hasn't played to full strength in 3 of the last 4 years.