2014-2015 NBA thread

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 06:47 PM)
I hate being such a pessimist on this topic but don't let yourself get excited, man.

That doesn't work. There is nothing else to do right now. This is the most dangerous time for rumors like this to start. There isn't enough sox news to fill the void. This is sucking the soul right out of me.

After he stays, I can't wait to start psychoanalyzing how he doesn't want to win. How do people keep not seeing that the Bulls are the perfect fit?!

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 11:51 AM)
Question about the S&Ts...can they happen before free agency starts?

If you do a S&T and don't include Nikolai (sp?), the Bulls would likely be over the cap and still have access to the MLE which means we could use that to sign Nikolai. And off-season with Nik and Melo without losing Taj would be pretty good. Big key after that is to find another outside shooter or two.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 01:51 PM)
Question about the S&Ts...can they happen before free agency starts?

IIRC, they can be agreed to, but they aren't "official" until a specific point in the future. Same with all draft day trades.

Ok, now this would be awesome

http://theknicksblog.com/knicks/source-chi...ption-for-melo/

As ESPN’s Brian Windhorst reported, if the Knicks believe Anthony’s departure is inevitable, they could get Boozer and the No. 16 or 19 pick in Thursday’s Draft in exchange for Anthony. The Bulls would have to make the pick and then trade that player to the Knicks in July, Windhorst reported.

Making the above deal with the Bulls would allow Phil Jackson to get the first-round pick he has been looking for and to potentially add a young point guard, perhaps Syracuse’s Tyler Ennis, to replace the beleaguered Raymond Felton.

That would be insane.

TBH, I looked back at Lebron's S&T with Cavs. They actually gave up 5 picks total, with zero leverage as well. I thought we'd actually have to give up a bit of a package for this.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 03:36 PM)
That would be insane.

TBH, I looked back at Lebron's S&T with Cavs. They actually gave up 5 picks total, with zero leverage as well. I thought we'd actually have to give up a bit of a package for this.

Eh, two firsts between 2013 and 2017, 2 seconds, and the ability to swap. Any NBA team is going to give that up and not even care.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 03:36 PM)
That would be insane.

That would still leave the Bulls with this year's first round pick, Mirotic, Gibson, Butler etc. Subtracting Melo for Boozer? My god. Talk about too good to be true.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 04:36 PM)
That would be insane.

IIRC that sign and trade was almost entirely done for salary reasons, but the details escape me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 08:47 PM)
IIRC that sign and trade was almost entirely done for salary reasons, but the details escape me.

I don't remember either, it was pre-2011 bargaining agreement that gave home team 5th year so I don't remember it anymore.

Maybe it was to get bird rights for him or something?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 08:46 PM)
That would still leave the Bulls with this year's first round pick, Mirotic, Gibson, Butler etc. Subtracting Melo for Boozer? My god. Talk about too good to be true.

Tax-wise, would they still need to trade butler?

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 04:00 PM)
Tax-wise, would they still need to trade butler?

Not sure to be honest, but at that point you are back into "go for it" mode. You've got Rose Melo and Noah to anchor the rest of the team. Bring in a rotation guy at #19. Heck you could even take a chance on a potential top 10 guy like Mitch McGary who could round out this team really well if he were back to his old self. If not, there are tons of 2's out there to look at, like Robinson III from UM, Adams from UCLA, McDermott, etc.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 03:46 PM)

Too good to be true usually is. Phil would get skewered in NYC of he settled for Boozer and a pick in the second half of round 1 all while helping the Bulls. Some seats in MSG are over $1000 a game.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 04:11 PM)
Too good to be true usually is. Phil would get skewered in NYC of he settled for Boozer and a pick in the second half of round 1 all while helping the Bulls. Some seats in MSG are over $1000 a game.

The other side of the coin is, how does everyone react if Melo walks away, for nothing?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 04:13 PM)
The other side of the coin is, how does everyone react if Melo walks away, for nothing?

There's that stupid rumor about the Cavs trading their #1 pick to the Knicks...lol.

I doubt the Cavs are THAT stupid. They can sign Melo out-right. They don't have to trade a pick to do it. I also don't think Melo would go to Cleveland unless they had LeBron.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 04:13 PM)

So paying Boozer $15 miilion saving a rival from having to, just for a mid first round pick, is better than just letting him walk?

This is too good to be true.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 04:18 PM)
So paying Boozer $15 miilion saving a rival from having to, just for a mid first round pick, is better than just letting him walk?

This is too good to be true.

It's an expiring contract.

That deal would be fantastic....Assuming they want the 16th pick I'd take Jordan Clarkson @ 19. A guy who could backup both Butler and Rose. Then snag Jordan Bachynski in the 2R to backup Noah.

Rose/Clarkson/Vet

Butler/Clarkson/Snell

Melo/Dunleavy/Snell

Taj/Mirotic

Noah/Bachynski/Smith

If they have to trade Dunleavy to make room for Mirotic then sobeit.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 05:22 PM)
You guys are still crazy if you think it's just gonna be Boozer and a 1st. There will be more pieces to make salaries and such work.

One thing I haven't figured out is how much you're allowed to inflate/backload a contract to get around the cap limit. Could the Bulls conceivably offer him $16 mil this year and $22 million every other year of the deal and pull things off that way, with Melo only giving up

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 01:27 PM)

That is way too good to be true. Would the Knicks really see benefit in taking on Boozer just to get a 1st round draft pick? I would think we'd have to give up one young asset (either Taj / Butler / Nik) + draft pick. Is Boozer somehow a FA at the end of next year? Otherwise I don't get why Knicks would take on that contract.