2014-2015 NBA thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 01:47 PM)
IIRC that sign and trade was almost entirely done for salary reasons, but the details escape me.

In theory, the same would be done here, if in fact Melo has told the Knicks he is 100% not interested and going to leave. I don't know that to be the case though.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 02:18 PM)
It's an expiring contract.

I had thought so but wasn't sure. The expiring pick part makes a little more sense cause of the funkiness of the CBA there is some value in having Boozer on the books to create potential flexibility / options for them to land another piece.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 02:34 PM)
Forgive me for my ignorance, but why would that be worth paying Boozer vs. just having another guy they can renounce after the season?

At the deadline, having an expiring option, might allow the Knicks to acquire someone via trade (without having to go to the FA market). For example, if Durant were to come on the block (not saying realistic) this off-season, then you could acquire him and then give a lot of young assets back + Boozer to make things work and then the Thunder get financial flexibility + young assets going forward (otherwise they'd get stuck with another contract to bloat things). So in a final year of a deal, at the trade deadline, Boozer's contract actually becomes a good chip for a team looking to deal a player with a LT contract for future cap savings.

http://www.csnchicago.com/bulls/melo-plan-...carmelo-anthony

Love may be all the Beatles need, and Love may be all the Warriors want, and with Thursday's news that Golden State is willing to include Klay Thompson in a deal for the Wolves All-Star, Love is not what the Bulls are getting.

The reality is that the Bulls don’t want to include the assets that it would take to outbid the Warriors. And they shouldn’t. Any trade that would involve Noah or Rose doesn’t improve the team. Seeing the price skyrocket for Love, is actually a blessing for the Bulls. The front office can now focus all of its attention on creating cap space to land Carmelo Anthony.

The Bulls are expected to use the amnesty provision on Carlos Boozer, and doing that (and that alone) will give them about $13 million in cap space to use on Anthony this summer [1]. Carmelo may want to play for a contender, but he’s not going to sign here for $13 million. The Bulls front office will need to free up at least $17 million, and likely $18 million, to lure Melo.

The Bulls can give themselves an additional $800k in space by drafting a European player like Clint Capela with the 19th overall pick and then entering an agreement with Capela that he won’t play in the NBA next season [2]. By agreeing, a drafted player won’t come over that season, NBA teams gain immediate cap space equal to that draft slot’s rookie salary. It’s a near guarantee that this is happening and every mock draft you see that has the Bulls taking two American players at No. 16 and No. 19 is wrong. $800k may seem like nothing, but it could be the difference in landing Anthony [3].

Here’s where it gets tricky for Gar/Pax. They need to create more space and the top expendable player under contract is Mike Dunleavy Jr. If the Bulls trade him to a contender for a 2nd round pick, they will free up an additional $2.83 million for Anthony [4]. This subtotal gives us $16.18 million for Melo. Good, but not great. Could they sign him for that amount? Absolutely. And the Bulls will do their very best to convince Anthony that any more roster changes will significantly weaken the team.

Let’s be conservative though and assume $16.18 million is not enough for Melo. The next player likely to be moved is Jimmy Butler. Like Dunleavy, the Bulls would also have to unload Butler for a future 2nd round pick. Moving Butler frees up another $1.51 million for Melo, giving the seven-time All-Star a first year salary of $17.7 million with the Bulls. If Anthony insists on getting a near-max, or max deal then the Bulls would have to unload Taj Gibson. That’s something I believe they are willing to consider, but very reluctant to do.

Anthony can potentially make up to $22.46 million next season with any team he signs with. He will have to decide if $17.7 million is enough and if the Bulls are worth a $20 million dollar discount over a four year contract [5]. Bulls fans would certainly love it if he did.

[1] This assumes a salary cap of $63.2 million. The exact cap number won’t be announced until just before players can officially sign on July 10th.

[2] The Bulls have done this with Nikola Mirotic every season since he was drafted with the 23rd pick in the 2011 draft.

[3] It’s $800k and not $1.27 million because a cap hit of $500k is applied to every empty roster spot under 12 players

[4] Same reason as above, $500k empty roster charge is applied, so Dunleavy’s $3.33 million salary next season only creates $2.83 million in cap space

[5] Freeing up this amount also means that Mirotic stays in Europe another year and the Bulls renounce all of their exceptions including the mid-level.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 09:34 PM)
I had thought so but wasn't sure. The expiring pick part makes a little more sense cause of the funkiness of the CBA there is some value in having Boozer on the books to create potential flexibility / options for them to land another piece.

Also, next season Knicks will have 20 million in cap, getting boozer allows them to have a starter without a longterm commitment in cash, i.e. they'll have maximum flexibility with lots of money next FA season.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 04:37 PM)
At the deadline, having an expiring option, might allow the Knicks to acquire someone via trade (without having to go to the FA market). For example, if Durant were to come on the block (not saying realistic) this off-season, then you could acquire him and then give a lot of young assets back + Boozer to make things work and then the Thunder get financial flexibility + young assets going forward (otherwise they'd get stuck with another contract to bloat things). So in a final year of a deal, at the trade deadline, Boozer's contract actually becomes a good chip for a team looking to deal a player with a LT contract for future cap savings.

Didn't think of that, but another thing to consider is the Knicks are tax offenders, and paid a $35milion penalty this year. Even if Melo walks they are over the cap and Boozer's money or if he is dealt for a similar salarycould trigger a repeat offender tax, which would make the actual cost of acquring him close to $40 million if not more.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 05:01 PM)
Bingo. + a first round pick, for a guy who you'd literally get nothing for. In a team that is cap-f***ed like the Knicks, that is a nice deal.

Cap f***ed and devoid of first rounders due to dealing them all for garbage

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 10:08 PM)

Are you telling me Bargnani was not the key to their playoff run?

They didn't make the playoffs?

:hawk:

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 05:08 PM)

The Knicks are a team that needs assets, bad. A first round pick is an asset, and Boozer could potentially bring another. They are losing Anthony either way.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 02:52 PM)
Didn't think of that, but another thing to consider is the Knicks are tax offenders, and paid a $35milion penalty this year. Even if Melo walks they are over the cap and Boozer's money or if he is dealt for a similar salarycould trigger a repeat offender tax, which would make the actual cost of acquring him close to $40 million if not more.

That is an excellent point. That is a very steap price if in fact having Boozer on the books puts them in that sort of position. My guess is any trade probably comes with a problem child of sorts, such as JR Smith or Felton. Could be mistaken. A S&T for Melo without giving up Taj / Butler / Nik would be a hell of a win for the Bulls.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 03:03 PM)
Would the Knicks also pick up a trade exemption in that kind of deal? I never figured out how those work.

They would pick up a trade exception if they dealt Boozer to a team which was well below the cap, however, in most scenario's they are probably taking even money back in return, and thus would not be getting a trade exception.

Note: If it was a pure Boozer + Pick for Melo, I don't believe they would get a trade exception as we would be over the cap and thus, any cap savings wouldn't go back to the Knicks (since the deal would be free). If we were under the cap still after and signed Melo for 23M and they took on 16M, then I believe they would have gotten an exception. However, in the current scenario, i think we would struggle being able to do that, I think technically we would just be able to sign Melo for what we had free + the trade allowance (cushion between salaries traded / received).

I'd rather get rid of Taj and make the cap space we need than dump Jimmy and still not really have enough for Melo.

Also, why isn't anyone considering that we trade, say, Taj + 1 or 2 of this year's first rounders for a pretty damn high first rounder this year? As opposed to trading [Player X] for a second rounder.

Taj is old, he's not that good of a trading chip, and we are asking team to take on ful salary. In those situations you get not much, you especially don't get a high draft pick in a deep draft that teams tanked for.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 04:49 PM)
Taj is old, he's not that good of a trading chip, and we are asking team to take on ful salary. In those situations you get not much, you especially don't get a high draft pick in a deep draft that teams tanked for.

Taj is a better trade chip then you give him credit for and if he wasn't valuable, I wouldn't move him cause he has a lot of value here if you move Boozer and get Melo.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 01:37 PM)
OMG BULLS TRADE FOR AFLLALOLOL

Basketball Insiders ‏@BBallInsiders 12m

Sources: Bulls Pursuing Arron Afflalo: The Chicago Bulls are pursuing a trade for Orlando Magic swingman Arron

I have no clue if that twitter account is legit or not but it does have 10K followers.....Hopefully this is in addition to Melo and they aren't JUST going after Afflalo. If they could really just get Melo for Boozer and a pick then get Afflalo for Butler and a pick or something along those lines, that'd be incredible. Afflalo is up there with Jimmy defensively but brings much more offense along with him.....Rose-Afflalo-Melo-Taj-Noah would be sick.

No, the bulls perpetually afraid of total failure, will always take the road more traveled. Their management under Jerry will be just good enough in a horrendous conference to never get fired. Just bad enough to waste a good shot at a ring. Pathetic.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 21, 2014 -> 10:26 AM)
Basketball Insiders ‏@BBallInsiders 12m

Sources: Bulls Pursuing Arron Afflalo: The Chicago Bulls are pursuing a trade for Orlando Magic swingman Arron

I have no clue if that twitter account is legit or not but it does have 10K followers.....Hopefully this is in addition to Melo and they aren't JUST going after Afflalo. If they could really just get Melo for Boozer and a pick then get Afflalo for Butler and a pick or something along those lines, that'd be incredible. Afflalo is up there with Jimmy defensively but brings much more offense along with him.....Rose-Afflalo-Melo-Taj-Noah would be sick.

Afflalo is owed $7.5 million next season. After doing some research, I noticed that they could fit Afflalo and Melo. Orlando would want a 1st rounder for Afflalo. So trade #16 along with the $4 million of non-guaranteed deals in Amundson, Brewer, and Mike James. That gets it into the $5.5 million range. Bulls may have to include Snell or some 2nd round picks o get it done. Should be an interesting next few weeks.