When do you fire Robin?

When do you fire Robin?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Choose

• we fire him now or around the All-Star break, start the transition
    • we fire him at the end of the season no matter what
    • we re-evaluate after the season
    • we don't look to fire him because we think he's done at least a decent job with what he has been given

So there, it's a poll.

Right now I'm leaning to Option #2, he's nowhere near this 2015 team, but I'm also a little bit looking at Option #1, because if he's gone during the year with Parent finishing the season out then it gives the organization time to look for a veteran skipper that can do this job a bit better now & definitely a ton better as soon as we're contending. Having to do a big manager search early in the offseason can set the offseason back, and also, more openings out there after the season could make it harder for us to get our guy.

But in my mind, this should be his last year. I know he was "extended" and what not, but whatever. I also know the common line about JR not wanting to eat deals, but JR isn't going to have any problem paying Robin to sit at home. In fact I would bet the Sox would try to reassign Robin before outright canning him.

I'd love to trade for Ron Gardenhire, not happening, no way in hell that happens, but I'd love it.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

f*** I didn't check a box or something I think! Mother of damnit.

Options were something like:

#1 we fire him now or around the All-Star break, start the transition

#2 we fire him at the end of the season no matter what

#3 we re-evaluate after the season

#4 we don't look to fire him because we think he's done at least a decent job with what he has been given

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 09:13 AM)
KyYlE, you are in this thread, we are great friends, we once shared a camel and a virgin, and traded blankets... please do me this favor and make me a poll using my options above. I'd ask wite but he'd be a dick about it. I can't do it myself, I'm not wearing mod pants.

Done. Dont bring up the camel ever again

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 09:13 AM)
Robin Ventura will never be fired. There will be a mutual parting of the ways--probably in few years. He's Point A to Point B Guy.

God I hope it doesn't take us a "few years" to get to point B. 2011 was trash, we added nothing going into 2012, so really the ST going into the 2011 season was the only exciting point to be a Sox fan over the last few years (outside of a couple months in 2012 when they looked like they might make an improbable run but went like 0-50 vs. the Tigers).

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 02:09 PM)
I made a poll but there's no poll!?!?!

this yr, imho he made 1 major error, that of keeping sale in when he shouldn't have, esp this early in the season.

can anyone find major reason to fire the skipper when we are in this faze of rebuilding.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 09:29 AM)
Every year he managed the Sox, fans wanted LaRussa fired. Then he gets fired and almost 30 years later, they still will use Hawk firing him as exhibit A how awful a GM he was.

If Robin had 1/10 the baseball acumen of Tony LaRussa I would agree.

I think Robin was the clubhouse order/who gives a s*** guy that would keep egos under control and wiould then develop into more of a traditional manager. Robin IMO has not developed.

Robin is El Managendro DeAza

QUOTE (bulokis @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 09:31 AM)
Ventura was one of my favorite White sox player but I think once we are definitely competing, we need a different manager. The same thing the Blackhawks did with Savard and replaced him with the Q'stache.

Yeah I loved watching Robin play. I also think he's a great guy and is a good "leader" type for sure. What I don't think is that he's a good manager. IMO the Robin experiment is pretty much exactly why you don't just take a Paul Konerko type and make him a manager, like KW was also considering.