When do you fire Robin?

When do you fire Robin?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Choose

• we fire him now or around the All-Star break, start the transition
    • we fire him at the end of the season no matter what
    • we re-evaluate after the season
    • we don't look to fire him because we think he's done at least a decent job with what he has been given

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 07:21 PM)
He fanned Him twice preciously and Papi hadn't had a hit the entire series. Load em up for Napoli when he is having problems throwing strikes isn't a good option.

Didn't he also strike out Napoli twice previously? Wash.

Who would you rather face there, Napoli or Ortiz? Obvious. Don't pitch to their best hitter with 1st open. That isn't a good option.

A walk of Napoli, if it gets that far, scores 1 run (he got him out after the Ortiz at bat anyway, quite easily).

Then it gets to 3-1. You need to just stand up for ball 4 at that point.

I just LOVE THAT THIS POST IS ON HERE, because that's EXACTLY what I've been thinking. And frankly, I came to the site to write such a post so I could vent, and here it is!

I didn't vote FIRE HIM NOW, though I'd LOVE that. I voted END OF SEASON because that has some more semblance of reality, and it gives him time to prove, or sink, himself.

I just think he's a HORRIBLE manager, completely oblivious to game situations, and I'm only a casual observer of the Sox because I live in Virginia and can only catch the occasional game that's on WGN or MLB network. But I would say unscientifically that in about half the games I've seen I thought Robin made a blunder. Not just a judgement call, but a blunder that you point out as weakening the Sox' chances to win the game.

The only reason Robin did well in his first year is he was the anti-Ozzie, and the team needed a break from Ozzie at that point. But since then, Robin is dragging this team down.

We should be above .500, around where KC is, with the possibility of adding some bullpen help and making a run at a wild card spot. Instead, we've lost tons of winnable games and now have no real chance. It also means that Hahn doesn't really have the chance to evaluate the team for how it should be, which could skew his decision-making going forward.

I've been pretty excited about the moves the team has made, but it's a total bummer to think it won't matter what Hahn does because Robin's lousy game management is always going to cost us 6-10 games a year. You can't compete with that kind of disadvantage.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 08:17 PM)
I could think of worse.

So could I, but I don't feel that he makes the most of what he's got, either. You've mentioned how it's crazy how Jose plays every single day - there's no good reason with 3 1B on the roster that he doesn't get days off.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 11:08 PM)
I was told "That's a classic Cubs' fans viewpoint" these days...to not care whether we win or lose...about being 5 games, 10 games or preferring 20-30 games under .500 for draft pick position is NOW all of of a sudden being a terrible fan.

Yes, everything is completely meaningless, other than Abreu and Sale staying healthy.

But it kind of takes any joy out of following a team when they lose in this fashion over and over and over again.

It makes you want to just tune out until they actually do have an above-average manager and decent bullpen. Why put yourself through believing in the team over and over again when this happens on a consistent basis?

You get what you pay for, as they say. If Marty was still here, even though I could predict with 98% accuracy what he would say...ownership would deserve his criticism.

They can't "make us buy into not caring" by rebuilding in this fashion. They should just trade Danks, Ramirez and Viciedo and be done with it. That's why bringing back AJ Pierzynski will have absolutely no point. We need the veteran bullpen equivalent of AJ to lock down games so this team can legitimately learn to win together. All they're learning is how to lose together. If they keep bringing in youngsters who've never won together at the big league level, then it's going to take another 2-3 seasons before everything is right, and even then it might not happen because we never know in the end how long we have a healthy Chris Sale.

Aint that the truth!

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 06:23 PM)
Bunting in front of Abreu, a fireable offense if there ever was one.

This absolutely grinds my gears more than anything else. You don't take the bat out of your best player's hands.

Jim Leyland used to do it all the time with Miggy. Even with good Prince Fielder batting behind him, it was such a stupid move.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 09:15 PM)
So could I, but I don't feel that he makes the most of what he's got, either. You've mentioned how it's crazy how Jose plays every single day - there's no good reason with 3 1B on the roster that he doesn't get days off.

When they re-signed Konerko, I was worried that Abreu would lose too much playing time to him. Little did I know it would be the complete opposite.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 09:26 PM)
When they re-signed Konerko, I was worried that Abreu would lose too much playing time to him. Little did I know it would be the complete opposite.

Agreed. Never thought that I'd think that we'd be using him less than we maybe should.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 01:11 AM)
A different way to look at it. I don't advocate the firing of Robin, but how many people would be truly disappointed if he wasn't the manager next year?

You guys can be mad and complain all you want, but it's wasted energy. The man just signed an extension. The front office obviously loves him. It's why I don't get worked up. Accept it. He's the skipper for a long time to come, now get him some TALENT to work with (along with Eaton, Abreu, Lexi, Conor, Sale, Q, Danks and maybe A. Garcia) of course.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 09:42 PM)
You guys can be mad and complain all you want, but it's wasted energy. The man just signed an extension. The front office obviously loves him. It's why I don't get worked up. Accept it. He's the skipper for a long time to come, now get him some TALENT to work with (along with Eaton, Abreu, Lexi, Conor, Sale, Q, Danks and maybe A. Garcia) of course.

That was the point of my question. If Robin said he was tired of it all at the end of the year, would you be heartbroken?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 07:42 PM)

Why don't you come up with some original material.

Robin's the last manager I want on a contending team in September. Oh man, I have more guys I can use now? Guess I can use them all in high-leverage situations!

September 2012 was some of the worst managing I can remember. He had zero idea how to use an expanded roster.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 02:47 AM)
That was the point of my question. If Robin said he was tired of it all at the end of the year, would you be heartbroken?

Nope.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 02:57 AM)
Why don't you come up with some original material.

Like most of the posts in this thread aren't old material as well. People bring up the same ol same ol regarding Robin. Why in the hell would they fire a guy they just extended? They won't. Obviously.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 07:25 PM)
Didn't he also strike out Napoli twice previously? Wash.

Who would you rather face there, Napoli or Ortiz? Obvious. Don't pitch to their best hitter with 1st open. That isn't a good option.

A walk of Napoli, if it gets that far, scores 1 run (he got him out after the Ortiz at bat anyway, quite easily).

Then it gets to 3-1. You need to just stand up for ball 4 at that point.

Ortiz was "this close" as Harrelson likes to say to three 410' homers over the last two games if they were pulled in just the slightest.

Napoli was ice cold (as was the entire team, pretty much) coming into that series.

Here's what drives me crazy:

This should be a season where we find out what we've got. Which is why the injury to Garcia was so frustrating.

Meanwhile we have this left handed hitting third baseman who is really starting to show something, yet he doesn't start yesterday because the opposition is starting a lefty. One I'd the best lefty's in the league.

Isn't this the time to find out if Gillaspie can maybe hit a good left handed pitcher?

To me this was a real missed opportunity during a rebuilding year.

We are not contending. Let's find out what we've got. Let's see if Conor can learn how to hit against a quality left hander.

Not starting him yesterday was bad managing. On the field, and in the front office.