When do you fire Robin?

When do you fire Robin?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Choose

• we fire him now or around the All-Star break, start the transition
    • we fire him at the end of the season no matter what
    • we re-evaluate after the season
    • we don't look to fire him because we think he's done at least a decent job with what he has been given

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 08:55 AM)
Always a good idea in the 9th with this talented, experienced bullpen.

And who wouldn't pull one of the best hitters in MLB out of a tie game for a pinch runner!

I've seen it many a times. Hell I (And 1 or 2 other posters in the game thread) wanted to see him pinch ran for when he first reached base. It was a "win now" move that didn't pan out.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 10:10 AM)
I've seen it many a times. Hell I (And 1 or 2 other posters in the game thread) wanted to see him pinch ran for when he first reached base. It was a "win now" move that didn't pan out.

That actually would have made a lot more sense because he reached base with no one out and a PR could have helped "manufacture" a run with only 1 hit.

But he did it when 2 were out with a .230 hitter up and a less than 75% chance of success and in a situation where Abreu would have been off with contact anyway, lessening the need for a PR.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 04:02 AM)
You spelled it wrong. The word includes a number, damn it!

I keep rereading this and still am confused, but man you are funny.

I love it.

thanks for the humor.

While I criticize Robin for his failure to utilize common sense (and apparently he doesn't always disagree, as he changes his decisions from one game to the next), I am not so high-minded to claim I can accurately predict how many games he has directly caused us to lose.

He certainly has a knack for getting in our way when we're trying to win, however.

I was told "That's a classic Cubs' fans viewpoint" these days...to not care whether we win or lose...about being 5 games, 10 games or preferring 20-30 games under .500 for draft pick position is NOW all of of a sudden being a terrible fan.

Yes, everything is completely meaningless, other than Abreu and Sale staying healthy.

But it kind of takes any joy out of following a team when they lose in this fashion over and over and over again.

It makes you want to just tune out until they actually do have an above-average manager and decent bullpen. Why put yourself through believing in the team over and over again when this happens on a consistent basis?

You get what you pay for, as they say. If Marty was still here, even though I could predict with 98% accuracy what he would say...ownership would deserve his criticism.

They can't "make us buy into not caring" by rebuilding in this fashion. They should just trade Danks, Ramirez and Viciedo and be done with it. That's why bringing back AJ Pierzynski will have absolutely no point. We need the veteran bullpen equivalent of AJ to lock down games so this team can legitimately learn to win together. All they're learning is how to lose together. If they keep bringing in youngsters who've never won together at the big league level, then it's going to take another 2-3 seasons before everything is right, and even then it might not happen because we never know in the end how long we have a healthy Chris Sale.

Edited by caulfield12

I just read the game thread and laughed at those blaming Robin for tonight's choke. Like somebody stated, the two goat relievers had been on a roll. Petricka and Guerro (sp?) had been doing "well" of late.

It's not Robin's fault. Why doesn't Hahn ever get blamed on this board?

How in the hell can you trade a decent closer when you have NO CLOSER to replace him? These losses are ON HAHN!!

And don't tell me Nate was going to be a good closer. Cmon.

Lindstrom? Maybe a decent piece of the pen but not our closer either. Robin is taking one for the team here. Why blame him when he has no bullpen bullets in the gun??? Seriously how would any of you handle this crap bullpen? Robin, whom I don't really like as a manager, is doing as good a job with the pen as any manager would.

I repeat HAHN has some explaining to do. That Reed trade was downright silly.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 09:14 PM)
I just read the game thread and laughed at those blaming Robin for tonight's choke. Like somebody stated, the two goat relievers had been on a roll. Petricka and Guerro (sp?) had been doing "well" of late.

It's not Robin's fault. Why doesn't Hahn ever get blamed on this board?

How in the hell can you trade a decent closer when you have NO CLOSER to replace him? These losses are ON HAHN!!

And don't tell me Nate was going to be a good closer. Cmon.

Lindstrom? Maybe a decent piece of the pen but not our closer either. Robin is taking one for the team here. Why blame him when he has no bullpen bullets in the gun??? Seriously how would any of you handle this crap bullpen? Robin, whom I don't really like as a manager, is doing as good a job with the pen as any manager would.

I repeat HAHN has some explaining to do. That Reed trade was downright silly.

Uh-oh.

At least tonight was the official end for any remaining fans who might have thought we could get back into Wild Card contention or were on the fence about it.

There's at least two of them, and supposedly Steve Stone, in that particular category.

I'm a belieber, and a believer, in the White Sox chances of sneakily sneaking into the 2nd WC this season. I'm sure plenty of you disagree, but the team has been hot the past two weeks. Why not give fans like me a bone and DFA Flowers and grab AJ? I'd rather have a token move for us to try and get back in it then do nothing. Like many have said, we're not 2013 terrible where we are going to get a top 5 draft pick. So why not help us dillusional fans with the illusion that they still care about 2014? If AJP costs the league minimum, I say get him. Why not?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (1dog @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 10:12 PM)
Haven't read the thread, just responding to the title...

Shortly after they figure out their starting Catcher is, well, not a starting catcher.

Based on what's already transpired, that might take a while.

I repeat. Gordon Beckham remains a daily fixture in our lineup despite the fact that he is now in his 5th straight year of being absolutely dreadful. 2,766 plate appearances of being mostly terrible.

Beckham, DeAza, Danks, Dunn, Viciedo and Ramirez. They GONE!

Who cares anyway?

Just shut up and be patient while waiting for 2016. (This is one area where 2005 works against us, as JR would be desperate, like Mike Illitch in DET, to get one World Series title at his age had we not already won one).

You guys can be angry that the Sox are losing, that's completely understandable. And you can not like the outcomes of the decisions that management and Robin have made so far in the front office and in the field. What me angry with White Sox fans who desperately want Robin to be fired, is that they fail to see that he is doing the best with his current situation, I don't disagree with his decision to take Sale out of the game and bring in a reliever. Chris Sale already that point already threw 107 pitches in the game with Pedroria up to bat, Pedoria sees a average of 4.4 pitches per at bat, which based on his average would've brought Sale's pitch count to 111 in a game where the team is up 4 runs to zero, these are the same fans who criticized Robin when he let's Sale pitch 120 pitches in a game. What did Robin did today was conventional baseball wisdom in my opinion, he saw that his ace was starting to tire and he moved to the bullpen and put in a guy in Petrika who has been doing well as of fairly recently. If this move works out then Robin is a hero, if it doesn't then.. well we have a topic like this in the forum. It's okay not to like the outcome of Robin's moves, I have a problem with people who fail to see the reasoning in his decision making.

And for those of you who still yearn for Addison Reed to be on the team, but let ask you this how many easy, 1-2-3 inning saves did he have while he was the closer? People always said that he makes thing too interesting to be comfortable while he was the closer and people even wanted him to lose his job to Nate Jones. If I were Rick Hahn and a team offered me a young, potential cornerstone third baseman for my closer, I would take that deal in a second.

Rant over

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 10:31 PM)
I was 26 when Gordon Beckham was a rookie. I am now practically a corpse. He's been terrible ever since I bought his jersey. Be done with him, Sox.

This post has all sorts of goodies mixed in there. You should stick around a while, you are a funny man.

We should lock this thread for one reason. He got an extension and this has ZERO chance of happening for some time to come. It's just not going to happen.

The title of the thread is dumb cause it's not in the realm of possibility for a long long time.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 01:21 AM)
We should lock this thread for one reason. He got an extension and this has ZERO chance of happening for some time to come. It's just not going to happen.

The title of the thread is dumb cause it's not in the realm of possibility for a long long time.

Surely you would have said the same thing about Ozzie Guillen before the 2011 season.

And the likely reason at that time would have been his mouth getting him in trouble.

Edited by caulfield12

Last night was one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't situations. When the 7th inning ended with Sale at exactly 100 pitches, I said to myself they should go to the bullpen because they had a 4 run lead. Sale comes out, throws 7 pitches and records two outs (and the runner on second should have been on first if not for Alexei's brain fart). I actually agreed with bringing in a reliever. But, it wasn't long before I was saying WTF. The bullpen recorded two outs and gave up five runs. Ridiculous, terrible, and I think we all saw it coming. I don't blame Ventura for the loss last night. I blame Petricka and Guerra. They're the ones who came in and couldn't get the job done.

In the end, while my feelings about Ventura haven't changed in any way, it's impossible to blame him for giving up 5 in runs in 1 2/3rd's innings, hitting batters to start the 9th, etc.

It was more a visceral reaction to falling asleep when the White Sox had a 3-4 run lead and being in disbelief Sale didn't get the win.

Nothing like the feeling 8 years ago in September when I woke up to see the Sox had blown a huge lead late to the Royals and the Indians were one game closer.

In the final analysis, I'd rather they be 6-7 games out of the Wild Card standings than in "no man's land" again.

Move on Rick Hahn, don't waver about trading guys that you don't perceive to be part of the future...and definitely don't trade prospects for Huston Street, Jonathan Papelbon or Joakim Soria.

Edited by caulfield12

In the end, while my feelings about Ventura haven't changed in any way, it's impossible to blame him for giving up 5 in runs in 1 2/3rd's innings, hitting batters to start the 9th, etc.

It was more a visceral reaction to falling asleep when the White Sox had a 3-4 run lead and being in disbelief Sale didn't get the win.

Nothing like the feeling 8 years ago in September when I woke up to see the Sox had blown a huge lead late to the Royals and the Indians were one game closer.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 08:42 PM)
What are you calling Jake Petricka and Javy Guerra?

Nothing. It's now the next day; I'm over it.

Still a tough loss. I kind of saw it coming when we lose at least 2 runs due to sloppy base running/coaching, but with Sale out there, it should be a W.

This is the second time the bullpen has imploded after taking Sale out.

Question: Was RV taking him out so Sale would be able to start Sunday with 3 days rest?

Maybe I'm not over it.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 07:39 AM)
Question: Was RV taking him out so Sale would be able to start Sunday with 3 days rest?

I think he was taking him out because Sale was at 107 pitches - I bet that's the top of the bell curve for a pitching change - and he had a guy in Petricka who hadn't allowed a run in his last 8 appearances. Pedroia has fairly pronounced lefty/righty splits, and if there's one thing I know about Robin it's that he likes to fixate on handedness.

This one seemed like a pretty by-the-book decision. Hard for me to hang it on Ventura.