White Sox claim RHP Angel Sanchez off waivers

southsider2k5

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/02/25/3958...guer-angel.html

A tall, lanky 6-3, 180 pounds, Sanchez is expected to begin the 2014 season in Double A Jacksonville. But he’s an intriguing prospect to watch. For one, his fastball topped out at 98 miles per hour last season and he’s hit 99 in the minors before.

But like most young fire-ballers control means everything. So does taking instruction.

Rosenthal said he and Sanchez butted heads last year because Sanchez wanted to continue to use a cutter Rosenthal called “his crutch.” Rosenthal wanted it out so Sanchez could focus on improving his curveball and changeup as well as the command on his fastball.

“I wouldn’t say he fought it, but he was stubborn,” Rosenthal said. “If you’re 98 and all over the place then it just says you throw 98 and it means nothing.

“Now he’s buying into it. His fastball command has improved. His changeup and curveball have gotten better. I’m probably going to give him the cutter back soon.”

Despite being born and raised in the baseball-crazed Dominican Republic, and having an uncle who pitched in the major leagues (former Diamondbacks right-hander Geraldo Guzman), Sanchez said he didn’t pick up a baseball until he was 14.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/02/25/3958...l#storylink=cpy

Angel Sanchez was having a terrible season at the Marlins’ Double-A Jacksonville affiliate before the Rays claimed him, managing just a 6.88 ERA. But Sanchez certainly isn’t a lost cause–he actually entered the season as Miami’s #16 prospect according to Baseball America. Sanchez, 24, touches the mid-90′s with his fastball to go along with a cutter, a slider, a curveball, and a changeup. The former three secondary pitches have both shown potential, and even the changeup has its moments. It’s pretty incredible that the Marlins let go of a pitcher that has shown ability with five different pitches. Sanchez’s issues, though, have been command and getting a feel for when to use his pitches, and at 24 years old, he is running out of time.

As Sanchez enters the Rays organization, it would not be surprising for them to start phasing his slider entirely out of his arsenal. Sanchez already throws an effective cutter, and having both pitches simply gives Sanchez too much to think about. Then, in regards to the cutter, the Rays will likely have him start throwing it less. We have seen with Matt Moore how throwing a cutter can mess with a pitcher’s fastball command, and making the pitch a true secondary offering instead of a pitch he is often using instead of his fastball could help it fool hitters more often. Even if Sanchez’s command never comes along, though, his electric fastball gives him a chance to be a late-inning reliever. Somewhere inside Angel Sanchez is a number three starting pitcher or better. Even if he doesn’t get there, though, the Rays realize that they are still acquiring a player that can provide them with value. Also worth noting is that Sanchez will have two more options after this season, giving the Rays time to get him right.

This is a different guy than the utility infielder from last year.

He's 24 years old and the highest level he's pitched at is AA. His career line in the minors: 87 games, 78 starts, 4.99 ERA, 1.43 WHIP, 3.4 BB/9, 7.4 K/9.

Here's a brief scouting report:

Sanchez, 24, touches the mid-90′s with his fastball to go along with a cutter, a slider, a curveball, and a changeup. The former three secondary pitches have both shown potential, and even the changeup has its moments. It’s pretty incredible that the Marlins let go of a pitcher that has shown ability with five different pitches. Sanchez’s issues, though, have been command and getting a feel for when to use his pitches, and at 24 years old, he is running out of time.

http://www.chatsports.com/tampa-bay-rays/a...rlins-2-9964943

Sounds like Paulino Jr.

Overall though, there's no harm in this deal. If you throw enough s*** at the wall, eventually something's gonna stick.

From two years ago.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article....articleid=15932

10. Angel Sanchez, RHP

DOB: 11/28/89

Height/Weight: 6'3/177

Bats/Throws: R/R

Drafted/Signed: Dominican Republic, 2010

2011 Stats: 2.82 ERA (99.0-72-39-84) at A (20 G)

Tools Profile: Throws hard.

Year in Review: The rare prospect that was signed out of a Dominican college, Sanchez went from off-the-radar to a very real prospect in his pro debut.

The Good: Sanchez is a lanky right-hander with a whippy arm action that produces 91-93 mph fastballs while consistently touching 95. He gets good spin on an average curveball, but his changeup is his best secondary pitch with plenty of depth and fade.

The Bad: Sanchez's arm-heavy delivery is hard to repeat, and he can struggle with his control at times. He's still learning how to use his secondary pitches and is quick to abandon them and take a fastball-centric approach, which will hurt him at the upper levels.

Ephemera: Sanchez had four starts in which he allowed four or more runs. His ERA was 1.66 in his 16 other appearances.

Perfect World Projection: Number-three starter with the ability for more.

Fantasy Impact: Sanchez is risky because of his experience, but his upside is significant.

Path to the Big Leagues: Sanchez will be another part of an impressive rotation at High-A Rancho Cucomonga, and some feel he has breakout potential.

ETA: 2014

http://gradingonthecurve.com/2012/04/07/a-...in-the-nl-west/

2. Angel Sanchez, RHP, Los Angeles Dodgers

Highest Level Played: Low-A (Midwest League)

Summary: Sanchez is a bit different from most prospects who come out of Latin America, the Dominican Republic, especially. While most Latin prospects sign as 16 year olds and begin their professional careers in the DSL for a couple of years, Sanchez instead went to college in the DR rather than opt to play professional ball as a teenager. At 21 years old, he signed with the Dodgers and immediately came stateside and pitched in the Midwest League. While his career path varies from most prospects who hail from his home country, one can hardly fault the Dodgers, as he is coming off a solid year in Great Lakes.

While his age is advanced at 22 years old (which doesn’t leave him much room for error or setbacks), he came into the Midwest League and pitched very well in his first season of professional ball. He went 8-4 with a 2.82 ERA, 1.12 WHIP and K/BB ratio of 2.15. While he doesn’t strike out a ton of batters (K/9 of 7.6), he does flash good control, and does induce a lot of groundballs, as he posted a GB/FB rate of 1.31, according to Minor League Central. Considering that he played no Rookie Ball at all prior to this year, his numbers are very promising and also show his ability to adjust and adapt in a short period of time.

According to scouts, Sanchez throws in the 92-96 MPH range, with his fastball touching as high as 97 MPH. In addition to also throwing a two seamer, he sports a plus changeup that features splitter-like action at 80-85 MPH, according to Baseball America. His curve hasn’t been graded too highly by scouts as they have noted that it is “slurvy” and that it is still work in progress. Sanchez has a high three-quarters arm slot in his delivery, and so far the reports on his mechanics are good, as no scouts or analysts have noted any major issues with him last season.

At six-foot, three inches and a 177 pounds, Sanchez has a solid frame and the reports on his makeup are good, as scouts have noted his strong work ethic and his ability to pick up English quickly. As stated before, while his age doesn’t leave him much room for error (a lost year due to injury or ineffectiveness would be killer to his development), he certainly is on the right track in terms of his progression as a prospect. He will begin the year with the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes (home of Day Day from “Next Friday”), so he certainly will be tested in the hitter-friendly environments of the California League in 2012.

He was supposed to arrive this year. I'm guessing that doesn't mean A ball. The Sox are already ahead of the game with signing Q as a 6 year free agent. Are there really any real successful pitchers in the major leagues that were waived multiple times in the minors?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 12:53 PM)
He was supposed to arrive this year. I'm guessing that doesn't mean A ball. The Sox are already ahead of the game with signing Q as a 6 year free agent. Are there really any real successful pitchers in the major leagues that were waived multiple times in the minors?

I like the chances better when it is a guy with some command issues, etc. Our organization does a good job with this and there really is no risk. If he doesn't pan out, he doesn't pan out, but this guy has tools that can't be coached now lets see what our above average pitching development can do.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 12:53 PM)

I am certain their are. I just don't have a list handy for you. Especially when you factor successful relievers. Probably less when it comes to starters.

We're collecting upper 90's fastball guys who can't get the ball over the plate...first there was the Sisco/Aardsma/Masset trio.

Now we have Henry Rodriguez, Cleto and Angel Sanchez.

Hopefully they can bring some excitement to Knights' fans...who knows, maybe they can even make a run at the playoffs in the 2nd half.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 02:35 AM)
We're collecting upper 90's fastball guys who can't get the ball over the plate...first there was the Sisco/Aardsma/Masset trio.

Hopefully they can bring some excitement to Knights' fans...who knows, maybe they can even make a run at the playoffs in the 2nd half.

Yes, we're collecting them. I certainly think of things I got in 2006 and things I got today and call them a collection.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 01:35 AM)

At least this year though, The Sox aren't collecting them in the major league bullpen.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 06:53 AM)
Yes, we're collecting them. I certainly think of things I got in 2006 and things I got today and call them a collection.

I even forgot to add MacDougal's name to the list.

Fine, we are amassing/accumulating "high level arms" that have failed to realize their potential. However you want to put it. The main difference is those guys in 2006-07 had a lot better records on the back of their baseball cards before they came to the Sox, except for Masset.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 01:18 PM)
I even forgot to add MacDougal's name to the list.

Fine, we are amassing/accumulating "high level arms" that have failed to realize their potential. However you want to put it. The main difference is those guys in 2006-07 had a lot better records on the back of their baseball cards before they came to the Sox, except for Masset.

And of course, we paid a helluva lot more to get some of those guys.