2015 MLB Draft

ChiSoxJon

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 18, 2015 -> 05:52 PM)
I don't think Swanson will be available at 8, especially with Kirby slipping.

without truly knowing what happen to Kirby, i am in total agreement.

however, there are a couple of prep arms that are making a name for themselves, who knows.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Apr 18, 2015 -> 06:10 PM)
The kid from Duke not only has TJ surgery but also 2 major back issues, I can see him sliding out of the 1st, Aiken has had elbow problems (why HOU didn't sign him maybe) and now needs Tommy John, he has a better shot at staying in the 1st but will likely fall out too

PS. Manaea technically fell out of the first round and was a lock for a top 3 pick before surgery, Aiken and the kid from Duke were both borderline top 10 this year, Giolito was a lock for #1 and TJ dropped him roughly 15

re Aiken, i thought he might be dropping to #7 for bos, but with the new info on Aiken on fangraph, that might drop him 2 or 3 rnd. just need more info of what the writer on fangraph is talking about.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Apr 18, 2015 -> 06:12 PM)
I definitely see him as 15 HR grinder type SS, with an average around .290

it can happen, i hope for the best, esp if he is there at 8.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Apr 18, 2015 -> 06:11 PM)
As do I, love his hustle and swing, great glove too

i never seen him play, but what i have read, esp his "D" i agree

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Apr 18, 2015 -> 06:12 PM)
Im still high on Cameron, but I would like to see the team start invest heavily into the catching position both in the amateur draft and in international free agency

this yr, outside Bettis, and he is not worth picking at 8, i doubt it. maybe in the later rounds. last yr was the yr to have made that move. but Adams and Fry were too good to pass up.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 18, 2015 -> 06:36 PM)
So I was thinking this morning about what players prior to the draft/during draft selection show did I really miss on (as well as the few I guess right on). Here they are:

- I was completely against the White Sox drafting a "grinder" from the northeast out of high school. To me, I thought Trout's ceiling would be that of Aaron Rowand.

- I loved the scouting videos of Stetson Allie and Matthew Hobgood

- When the Sox drafted Chris Sale, a part of me was hoping they'd take Josh Sale instead

- As many on here know, I was all in on Rodon last year and have huge expectations for him

- I thought Beckham would be a multi-year all-star, but deep down I was worried he benefited a lot from using an aluminum bat

many thanks for you be honest. i was lucky on Sale, but i really thought that he would not sign. the rest of the other draft, i was and all those others are in a big haze. i was really sick with my heart for 6 yrs.

now i am almost in full function in minors and draft.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Apr 18, 2015 -> 07:49 PM)
I see him as a 12-15 HR guy with average to plus defense at SS. Very fluid movement, range seems pretty solid, and has more than enough arm. Ideally, thinking long term, I would love to draft him, have him slot in at SS in the near future, and move Anderson to second.

due to a lack of infielders in the sox systems, if a SS is there, i will take the ss. then see who will fit better at SS and i still like the idea of moving the other to 3b.

re Davidson, i don't know if his hitting will be worth the gamble, but if he improves in his hitting, that i can see his "D" play better at the dh position.

here is a question for all, how is Alex Bergman - ss -lsu fancy you.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Apr 16, 2015 -> 05:33 PM)
Later round guy that could come into play: Alex Winkelman LHP, Southeast Missouri State

Winkelman pitched today with 3 scouts in attendance. One of which was a White Sox scout. Didn't have a great game but did pretty good. Had a no hitter going into the 5th but struggled a bit afterwards:

6.2 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 8 K, 4 BB

Now has an ERA of 3.48 in 64.2 IP this season

Edit: I was at most of the game and saw the scouts all together, video taping him and watching. One had a collared White Sox shirt

Edited by BigHurt3515

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Apr 18, 2015 -> 02:12 PM)
Im still high on Cameron, but I would like to see the team start invest heavily into the catching position both in the amateur draft and in international free agency

As would I, hope to see our first rounder in '16 spent on a catcher, high school arm, 3B, or lost in FA

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 18, 2015 -> 04:15 PM)
re Aiken, i thought he might be dropping to #7 for bos, but with the new info on Aiken on fangraph, that might drop him 2 or 3 rnd. just need more info of what the writer on fangraph is talking about.

Sounds awful, what a fall off since he got drafted, feel awful, HUGE loss of money

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 18, 2015 -> 02:36 PM)
So I was thinking this morning about what players prior to the draft/during draft selection show did I really miss on (as well as the few I guess right on). Here they are:

- I was completely against the White Sox drafting a "grinder" from the northeast out of high school. To me, I thought Trout's ceiling would be that of Aaron Rowand.

- I loved the scouting videos of Stetson Allie and Matthew Hobgood

- When the Sox drafted Chris Sale, a part of me was hoping they'd take Josh Sale instead

- As many on here know, I was all in on Rodon last year and have huge expectations for him

- I thought Beckham would be a multi-year all-star, but deep down I was worried he benefited a lot from using an aluminum bat

I've had a fair share of misses myself, I wanted Mitchell and we got him and I was thrilled, the organization was thrilled until that Achilles injury, in hindsight, obviously Trout should have been picked first overall

I was a big fan of Taillon (TJ surgery, still a top prospect) in '10 and didn't care for Sale much until I saw his highlights, fell in love

I was a huge fan of Hultzen (injured in AAA, #25 SEA prospect) in '11 and didn't like the Walker pick at all, I was also a Jackie Bradley Jr. (backup OF in BOS) fan and was hoping he'd fall to our Sox

I was a big Giolito fan but was satisfied with Hawkins and am still happy with Hawkins, also liked Stroman, Light, and Gallo a lot

I didn't like the Anderson selection and wanted Stanek or Manaea, obviously I'm happy with Anderson

Last year I wanted Rodon and we got him, more than happy with him, also liked Kolek and Aiken but preferred the polished college arm, also liked Grant Holmes, Luke Weaver, Jack Flaherty, and Michael Kopech (obviously not at #3)

This year my favorite prospects are include Dansby Swanson, Carson Fulmer, Tyler Ferguson, Phil Bickford, Brady Aiken, Jacob Nix, Tyrone Perry, Michael Matuella, Walker Buehler, Ashe Russell, and others

Off topic but in very recent years I also loved the likes of non-first rounders such as Zach Neal in '10, Michael Roth in '12, Peter O'Brien in '12, Jake Davies in '12, Brandon Thomas in '13, Buck Farmer in '13, Zane Evans in '13, Daniel Palka in '13, Raph Rhymes in '13, Chris Cotton in '13, Mason Katz in '13, Jacoby Jones in '13, Adam Ravanelle in '14, and Joey Pankake in '14

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Apr 19, 2015 -> 02:11 PM)
This year my favorite prospects are include Dansby Swanson, Carson Fulmer, Tyler Ferguson, Phil Bickford, Brady Aiken, Jacob Nix, Tyrone Perry, Michael Matuella, Walker Buehler, Ashe Russell, and others

for me who is a complete amateur, a fan, who likes the draft and prospects. my wish list is constantly changing, esp with new info coming out, esp in the injury front. i really like Swanson, maybe Buehler. i also like Happ, but that is about it for the favorites that were listed pre-school yr.

now there is a bigger selection of players making a name for themselves such as Shaw, Tucker, Stewart (too bad he can't raise his avg).

now there is a few that i am really liking, Newman-ss-Arz, he tools is very nice and a huge potential to develop even more. i can see him moving into the first round and climbing.

another is A. Jones, prep, this player i can see even sneaking into the teens or higher when all said and done. let me explain 1 thing. he took his overall test of perfect games skills, he ran the fastest ever 60 in 6.39-6.40. this was done with a tweaked hammy. now he redid that test, fully healthy, ran a 6.17 even beating his old score. his "D" is very good in any infield position, soft hands to play ss and 2b, good enuf skills to play cf. his offensive skill are really good and he hasn't even shown what he can do on the base-path.

David Thompson-3b, i read up on him in the cape circuit last yr and followed him. just pure offense and good enuf to stick at 3b.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Apr 19, 2015 -> 01:09 PM)
Sounds awful, what a fall off since he got drafted, feel awful, HUGE loss of money

re Aiken, this weekend some are saying that he may be going in the high teens or late 1 rnd. while some still say they are unsure, more medical needs to to come out.

re Kirby, still cloudy.... no one is saying what was the injury, some mention if it is surgery, he may now go in the mid teens. which brings up and interesting situation. i never thought that Kirby would get past Bos, but if he is there at 8, do you think the sox should take a chance, esp if Swanson is not there?

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 19, 2015 -> 03:51 PM)
for me who is a complete amateur, a fan, who likes the draft and prospects. my wish list is constantly changing, esp with new info coming out, esp in the injury front. i really like Swanson, maybe Buehler. i also like Happ, but that is about it for the favorites that were listed pre-school yr.

Buehler concerns me a bit. His raw stuff is very good but there is no deception to his delivery and his fastball is flat. That combination is not a problem in college but I'm not sure it would work in the higher minors, let alone the Majors.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Apr 19, 2015 -> 02:55 PM)
Buehler concerns me a bit. His raw stuff is very good but there is no deception to his delivery and his fastball is flat. That combination is not a problem in college but I'm not sure it would work in the higher minors, let alone the Majors.

a very good point, look at last yr with paulino, flat as a board, but was hitting in the mid 90's.

that is the best example of what you are pointing out.

great insight. many thanks

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 12:21 AM)

Nice to see Winkelman in that big list of college pitchers. I am actually hoping we draft him at some point. Would be pretty cool to have a guy that went to my school in our system to keep track of

After giving it careful consideration, Kyle Tucker would be my choice.

I'm coming around to the POV that pitching is easier and easier to find/develop/trade for than huge impact bats.

Granted, there's already some controversy surrounding the Hawkins choice, and the temptation's going to be to take another proven college arm, but I think they surprise us and go in another direction.

Just not excited enough about all these middle infield guys like Swanson and Newman.

Happ (if they are confident he can play 3B) or best available collegiate pitcher without injury problems would be the 3rd choice.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 12:40 PM)
After giving it careful consideration, Kyle Tucker would be my choice.

I'm coming around to the POV that pitching is easier and easier to find/develop/trade for than huge impact bats.

Granted, there's already some controversy surrounding the Hawkins choice, and the temptation's going to be to take another proven college arm, but I think they surprise us and go in another direction.

Just not excited enough about all these middle infield guys like Swanson and Newman.

Happ (if they are confident he can play 3B) or best available collegiate pitcher without injury problems would be the 3rd choice.

nice post, i like what you wrote for the most part. again this is my opinion.

between now and draft day, who ever is not hurt or recovering from the pitchers point, i will need to take that in consideration. as the field of pitchers are separating themselves, i am not sold on Tate.

so who will be there at #8? if Happ is there, yes, the LSU-ss, no. i am with the pro's who is wondering if his stuff will go over to the pro's. Swanson- in a heart beat.

so that leave the prep's. the one problem with drafting the prep's is what happen to Hawkins, huge potential, could fulfill all of it. the development is a hit or miss kind of thing.

so the idea of pick at #8, coming in, in a yr or 2 to take over a spot, when some of the fa's contract starts to come up for renewal, to do a gradual replacement, may have to take a back seat.

so what will be the position that will be identify to address in the draft???? one that needs time to consider, when it comes closer to the draft.

re Happ, i am wondering this weekend, why they were stretching him out at 3b. i wonder how long he played there or was just taking reps at practice before the game. interesting.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 02:57 PM)
I love Kiley and his pieces, so I think this is some must read material for Soxtalk:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2015-mlb-dr...-april-edition/

yeah, that is a great read. from now until draft day, i personally don't think that that anything being publish will be a bad read. Caveat that with this, unless they are just regurgitating old material.

i do have to say 1 thing, this draft, with all the latest injuries, surprise illness, and the preps making a name for themselves, after a number in the top 5 picks, it is anyone's guess.

i love it. the unexpected to happen.