2015 MLB Draft

ChiSoxJon

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 15, 2015 -> 12:32 PM)
Illinois ace Junior LHP Kevin Duchene is having a great season so far.

2-1, 20IP, 0.90 ERA, 14 H, 2ER, 1BB, 24Ks, .189 opponent average. I want the Sox to grab him so bad.

And yet, most scouts (at least based on various rankings I have seen) seem to think Tyler Jay is the best prospect on that team, though he pitches in relief, which I dont quite understand. Regardless, their top four starters all have ERAs under 2.00. That staff is just terrific.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 15, 2015 -> 07:23 PM)
I've seen a couple people say he's the best prospect in the B1G. He's a buddy's cousin so I used to play him all the time. I played him as recently as 2012 and he was a very short, slight dude. I don't know if he had a post high school growth spurt but he's listed at 6' 1" 185 and when I was 18 I was 6' 165 and probably bigger than him. Obviously official listings are always generous. Keith Law is a huge fan though and says the stuff is top notch.

Another guy to watch is Dillon Tate out of USCB. He's going to be moving up the boards now that he's dominating in his first stint as a starter.

while the profiles has him as a reliever being compared to chris archer and huston street, then they moved him starting where he is dominating with a fastball up to 99.

http://presidiosports.com/category/baseball/ucsb-baseball/

http://baseballdraftreport.com/2015/03/10/...nd-dillon-tate/

http://indians.scout.com/story/1521349-201...rhp-dillon-tate

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 15, 2015 -> 02:23 PM)
I've seen a couple people say he's the best prospect in the B1G. He's a buddy's cousin so I used to play him all the time. I played him as recently as 2012 and he was a very short, slight dude. I don't know if he had a post high school growth spurt but he's listed at 6' 1" 185 and when I was 18 I was 6' 165 and probably bigger than him. Obviously official listings are always generous. Keith Law is a huge fan though and says the stuff is top notch.

Another guy to watch is Dillon Tate out of USCB. He's going to be moving up the boards now that he's dominating in his first stint as a starter.

BA has Jay as the number one prospect and Duchene as #3 in the conference for this years draft. I am not sure if that indicates more that the talent level in the conference is down and that is why a RP is the #1 prospect or if the talent in the conference is not draft eligible at this point.

i missed this.

Duke - Michael Matuella - sp was on a limited pitch count due to arm soreness. 61 innings pitched, 3 hit, 0 er, 0 er, 4 k's, and 14 bf (batters faced)

score board, ncaa mens baseball recap.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 07:45 AM)
Same injury concerns as well?

What injury concerns did Jared Weaver have coming out of the draft? He fell in the draft due to high bonus demands. He's also been relatively durable during his career (making 30 starts or more in 6 out of his 8 full seasons in the bigs). I am excluding his rookie season where he made only 19 starts (and in reality, his 2nd season he was limited due to Angels being conservative, but he made 28 starts).

Weaver was one of the more dominant college pitchers of the past 10-15 years. I don't know that anyone in this years draft would be deserving of that comp. Between him and Verlander, that draft was loaded with front end pitching prospects.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 02:52 PM)
What injury concerns did Jared Weaver have coming out of the draft? He fell in the draft due to high bonus demands. He's also been relatively durable during his career (making 30 starts or more in 6 out of his 8 full seasons in the bigs). I am excluding his rookie season where he made only 19 starts (and in reality, his 2nd season he was limited due to Angels being conservative, but he made 28 starts).

Weaver was one of the more dominant college pitchers of the past 10-15 years. I don't know that anyone in this years draft would be deserving of that comp. Between him and Verlander, that draft was loaded with front end pitching prospects.

For Weaver I mean now, versus then, and the effect it might have on a guy with a similar body and current injury issues.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 03:01 PM)
For Weaver I mean now, versus then, and the effect it might have on a guy with a similar body and current injury issues.

Weaver also has a history of back issues, and that during the last few seasons he has been pretty prone to a variety of different injuries, I cant give a concrete answer but ill look into it.

3-18

in looking up some of the prep prospects, i started to read on a player i like, Kyle Tucker. i still think he will climb into the middle of the 1-rd. but here is his profile as of yesterday. he is 6'4, left handed, who weights a generous 170-175 lbs, 4 hrs already, natural power, very good defense, great approach to batting, k's - little, great eye.

perfect games profile.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 08:56 AM)
3-18

in looking up some of the prep prospects, i started to read on a player i like, Kyle Tucker. i still think he will climb into the middle of the 1-rd. but here is his profile as of yesterday. he is 6'4, left handed, who weights a generous 170-175 lbs, 4 hrs already, natural power, very good defense, great approach to batting, k's - little, great eye.

perfect games profile.

Tucker has been one of my favorite prospects in this draft for quite a while. Looks to be a phenomenal contact hitter that could grow into some power too.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 10:56 AM)
Tucker has been one of my favorite prospects in this draft for quite a while. Looks to be a phenomenal contact hitter that could grow into some power too.

Mine too, he swings just like Ted Williams it's uncanny.

I think that he is the best prep outfielder and you're right about his contact skills being phenomenal, some reports I read love his athleticism and think that he could hold his own in center.

I would love it if the Sox drafted him.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 04:54 PM)
Mine too, he swings just like Ted Williams it's uncanny.

I think that he is the best prep outfielder and you're right about his contact skills being phenomenal, some reports I read love his athleticism and think that he could hold his own in center.

I would love it if the Sox drafted him.

where at #1.... can you imagine how he will turn out when he gains 30 lbs of muscle on that skinny frame of his. take a look at the link, he is straight up and down a poll.

http://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerp....aspx?ID=297413

i really wish the sox has a comp pick

ref to the draft, the prospects are starting to separate them selvs, plus 2 extra pitchers are making a name for themselves. i am going to bet they will make a push for the top 10 or at least top 15.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 01:03 PM)
I hope he falls and the Sox can draft him for slot at #8. Would be ideal. Still way early though.

dang it, i wish i saved the link, i was reading late last nite and it was a blog. the subject was how some of the favorites may get hurt, esp now with a lot of press of arm problems. now with Michael Matuella-sp, illness, the draft may look differently. if Brady Aiken, is not hurt but has soreness, how many teams will be wary.

this draft, pitchers or hitter??? i am sooo lost with the sox picking #8.

i was also thinking, with Dillon Tate making a name for him himself, the fire is getting started so to speak. there is, in the same blog, talk about him being top 10 if not, now with Aiken's, top 5.

This is funny, from mlb.com:

"We are going to get a guy that, one, we are going to be happy with and, two, that's going to have what we feel is not only a high ceiling but also a low basement," said assistant scouting director Nick Hostetler during a recent interview at Camelback Ranch. "The fact is that we are hoping he gets there and gets there rather quickly, and [we are hoping he] performs and can help this core that [general manager] Rick [Hahn] and [the front office] have assembled."

Pretty sure that low basement is a bad thing, Nick.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 08:58 PM)
This is funny, from mlb.com:

"We are going to get a guy that, one, we are going to be happy with and, two, that's going to have what we feel is not only a high ceiling but also a low basement," said assistant scouting director Nick Hostetler during a recent interview at Camelback Ranch. "The fact is that we are hoping he gets there and gets there rather quickly, and [we are hoping he] performs and can help this core that [general manager] Rick [Hahn] and [the front office] have assembled."

Pretty sure that low basement is a bad thing, Nick.

that was confusing until you explained it, and yeah you are right. this is simple, with how the team is, and how the prospects are helping, keep the statement simple and let the fans build up the excitement, b/c we will.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 01:33 PM)
dang it, i wish i saved the link, i was reading late last nite and it was a blog. the subject was how some of the favorites may get hurt, esp now with a lot of press of arm problems. now with Michael Matuella-sp, illness, the draft may look differently. if Brady Aiken, is not hurt but has soreness, how many teams will be wary.

this draft, pitchers or hitter??? i am sooo lost with the sox picking #8.

i was also thinking, with Dillon Tate making a name for him himself, the fire is getting started so to speak. there is, in the same blog, talk about him being top 10 if not, now with Aiken's, top 5.

Sounds like scouts believe there's no way Tate will still be around for the Sox pick.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 11:22 PM)
Sounds like scouts believe there's no way Tate will still be around for the Sox pick.

yeah i never thought of it that way, i was starting to hope for him to be at #8, but now, he might not be there. pitching today for the #16 rated ucsb. today game started and winning. he is profile to be the hardest thrower in the this yr draft, a good mix on his pitches.

if aiken like hoffman last yr, fall to #8 do the sox draft him or go for a hitter. i have to keep reminding myself, the season barely started for college ball, a lot could happen.