Red Sox to sign Rusney Castillo

Jose Abreu

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 08:36 AM)
am i missing something on this player. for what is being rumored on his

signing money, is really all that great?

can someone pls explain why so much money???? is he going to be the next Jose A??

I think that given the recent success of other Cuban players and the other draft/international restrictions that have been put in place, the market price has been really driven up on these free agents from Cuba.

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 08:36 AM)
am i missing something on this player. for what is being rumored on his

signing money, is really all that great?

can someone pls explain why so much money???? is he going to be the next Jose A??

I don't quite get it either. He's had some good years in Cuba, but nothing like Jose. If he really gets 5 years 50-60M then I think it makes the Abreu deal look even better.

Only thing I can think of is he does have some power to go along with his speed and the ability to play CF. Center fielders with power is somewhat rare in the MLB.

We saw this "market correction" earlier with the Cubs spending a ton of money on their soft-tossing lefty and Soler after Cespedes and Puig became so successful.

Nobody wanted to miss out on the next toolsy/athletic/power-hitting guy, so you saw a lot of money flowing to Soler considering his experience level and longer math to the majors.

For example, look at the money the Dodgers gave those two Cuban infielders (one was attacked and bitten by Olivo) who weren't as touted.

Then you have another correction coming because of so many teams feeling they missed out on Abreu, Puig, Soler, Alexei Ramirez and Abreu.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 09:03 AM)
MLB Trade Rumors ‏@mlbtraderumors 4m

Rusney Castillo “On Track” For Six-Year, $72MM Deal With Red Sox http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/?p=41049

That's crazy. Can't believe Cherington would do that. Granted, Jackie Bradley, Nava and Sizemore were huge disappointments, but wow.

They also have Betts (blocked by Pedroia at 2B), Cespedes next year...well, even the vaunted Red Sox don't have complete success because this move smacks of desperation, and a lack of available options on the FA market.

Finally, Shane Victorino is under contract as well for 2015, I'm pretty sure.

Edited by caulfield12

Hard to know what is crazy vs. what isn't. Remember scouting reports on Abreu were all over the map too. All I know is if the only reason the White Sox stayed out of it was because he was a righty vs. a lefty, then I am not happy. Hopefully it had more to do that they their scouting reports had more concerns and given where the contract was headed they couldn't justify it.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 10:04 AM)
That's crazy. Can't believe Cherington would do that. Granted, Jackie Bradley, Nava and Sizemore were huge disappointments, but wow.They also have Betts (blocked by Pedroia at 2B), Cespedes next year...well, even the vaunted Red Sox don't have complete success because this move smacks of desperation, and a lack of available options on the FA market.

What do they have to do with Castillo? a DFAed free agent, AAAA bench player and first full season player have no impact on Castillo

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 10:04 AM)
That's crazy. Can't believe Cherington would do that. Granted, Jackie Bradley, Nava and Sizemore were huge disappointments, but wow.

They also have Betts (blocked by Pedroia at 2B), Cespedes next year...well, even the vaunted Red Sox don't have complete success because this move smacks of desperation, and a lack of available options on the FA market.

The Red Sox will be spinning quite a few of those pieces for pitching in the off-season. I imagine Craig, Bradley, Betts, Middlebrooks Cecchini, and Swihart will be made available to upgrade their pitching staff.

Their OF will likely be Cespedes, Castillo, and Victorino. I think they will be in on Hamels and could make a run at someone like Cashner from the Friars to go along with Kelly and some of the young arms they have in their system.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 09:39 AM)
What do they have to do with Castillo? a DFAed free agent, AAAA bench player and first full season player have no impact on Castillo

Very simple, if Jackie Bradley's a star and playing Gold Glove caliber CF while OPSing around 700, Rusney Castillo isn't in their plans.

It's going to be pretty difficult to convince me otherwise.

Nava, Holt, Gomes, etc. Not as relevant.

Because if you really believe in Bradley or Betts, you're not going to leave them blocked for a year behind Cespedes, Castillo and Victorino.

The fact that Castillo and Bradley play the same primary position, CF, is also telling.

EDIT: And I completely forgot about Allen Craig as well, whose contract will be about as easy to dump as John Danks'

Edited by caulfield12

Just to compare the 2 here....

Yr Age PA AVG OBP SLG ISO OPS+ BB% K%

Castillo- 11-13 24-26 1097 0.315 0.383 0.512 0.197 128 7.3 10.3

Abreu- 11-13 24-26 1014 0.393 0.537 0.802 0.409 245 18.4 10.9

Castillo got just 6M less. I'm gonna assume though that Castillo doesn't have the same opt out clause.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 09:42 AM)
The Red Sox will be spinning quite a few of those pieces for pitching in the off-season. I imagine Craig, Bradley, Betts, Middlebrooks Cecchini, and Swihart will be made available to upgrade their pitching staff.

Their OF will likely be Cespedes, Castillo, and Victorino. I think they will be in on Hamels and could make a run at someone like Cashner from the Friars to go along with Kelly and some of the young arms they have in their system.

Trading prospects at the lower end of their value isn't the normal Red Sox way of doing things, particularly in the case/s of Bradley, Betts and Middlebrooks.

Well, we do know one thing, that they still view Bogaerts as a building block for the immediate future.

I would doubt that Swihart goes since he's seen as having a lot more potential than the first rookie catcher they brought up to replace AJ, Christian Vazquez or whatever his name is.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 03:42 PM)

bos is doing what the sox will need to do either in the offseason or next yr. acquiring players (pieces) to make the

team ready to compete. Bos has the bank to spend where as JR will be more frugal.

I just don't know if the talent is there for the white sox in order to be in the bidding war. however there are other

players coming even in the Asian market.