7/23 Games

flavum

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 01:19 PM)
You said it yourself man, they hate him. Do your really want to be the guy trying to change public opinion with OPS talk at this point? You literally have to watch EVERY game to see Dunn's value by adding up walks. Most fans turn on a game or go to a game and more than likely see Dunn do absolutely nothing. I'd say I get to watch about 3/4 of the games, which is arguably more than most fans, and even I feel like he is rarely in the middle of something interesting.

I feel like if we don't trade him then the Sox will honor the contract. I'm all for a trade of Dunn and a Paulie-led charge to the playoffs ;)

The opinions of stupid people don't matter to me though. The people booing Dunn and cheering the ghost of Paul Konerko fit in that category as far as I'm concerned.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 01:33 PM)
Konerko's farewell tour is why.

It's not remotely why, and I assume you know that. Wilkins would not be brought up to get 1 or 2 starts a week as Konerko is getting. What would be the point? You can't platoon Dunn and Wilkins who are both left handed. Andy Wilkins is not going to take any starts away from Jose Abreu.

Wilkins will be up when (if) Dunn is traded or at very latest in September. I think Dunn is gone in the next week.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 08:36 AM)
Wilkins has had an unreal week. But it is just a week.

No. He was leading the team in home runs before this week. He was on pace for 25 or so for the season.

He had an excellent June (.877 OPS), an unbelievable July (1.456 OPS) and one of the best weeks for any player anywhere in recent memory. He's batting .447 in July. He's batting .368 since June 1. It's bizarre how hard you're trying to diminish that performance as just one lucky week.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 11:43 AM)
I did not mean we have any phenom in waiting that I would propose making such a rash decision to open playing time for. Just generally speaking, if you have a Kris Bryant or Carlos Rodon ready and waiting in AAA there should be an urgency to use their production on the major league team. In this case with Andy Wilkins, there no such urgency.

Which goes back to what the Cubs are doing....their prospects like Bryant are TOO phenom(enal), so they absolutely (and literally) have to wait on them to make sure they don't waste a year of them reaching Super 2 status too quickly.

Their Iowa roster has more talent than their MLB roster, even including Rizzo and Castro.

Most GM's would take Russell/Soler/Baez/Bryant straight up over Rizzo/Castro these days.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 05:15 PM)
No. He was leading the team in home runs before this week. He was on pace for 25 or so for the season.

He had an excellent June (.877 OPS), an unbelievable July (1.456 OPS) and one of the best weeks for any player anywhere in recent memory. He's batting .447 in July. He's batting .368 since June 1. It's bizarre how hard you're trying to diminish that performance as just one lucky week.

7 games ago he was hitting .251 with a less than .300 OBP. I don't recall anyone saying the Sox just had to see what he can do at the major league level.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 05:03 PM)
7 games ago he was hitting .251 with a less than .300 OBP. I don't recall anyone saying the Sox just had to see what he can do at the major league level.

Because those numbers (April-May, as opposed to June and July) would indicate he was hitting as well as Alejandro DeAza his first two months in AAA.

So that's either a sign of progress/learning/adjustment or just an insignificant blip on the radar/statistical noise.

We can do the same thing with 6 weeks chunks for Beckham and Viciedo, while ignoring what the rest of the season is telling us. The truth is we know a heckuva lot more about Gordon and Dayan at the major league level than anything we can forecast or predict with Wilkins.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 06:03 PM)

Plenty of people (including me) would have said 'if he can simply keep hitting how he has for the past month and a half, he could be brought up when Dunn leaves.' Well he's obviously done way better than that. Even if he "cools off" back to his June level of hitting .300 with power he's worth the call up.

I think he may be a more valuable baseball player than Viciedo right now and in 2015 and on. Being left-handed matters. A lot.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 06:18 PM)
Plenty of people (including me) would have said 'if he can simply keep hitting how he has for the past month and a half, he could be brought up when Dunn leaves.' Well he's obviously done way better than that. Even if he "cools off" back to his June level of hitting .300 with power he's worth the call up.

I think he may be a more valuable baseball player than Viciedo right now and in 2015 and on. Being left-handed matters. A lot.

And DeAza and Beckham and Flowers and Dunn since none of them figure into the future.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 07:18 PM)

He is older than Viciedo.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 07:26 PM)
You make no sense. Most of your minor league system will never play an inning in the major leagues.

Categorically discounting every minor league prospect because they're older than Dayan Viciedo (or comparing their development arcs) makes even less sense.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 08:45 PM)
Categorically discounting every minor league prospect because they're older than Dayan Viciedo (or comparing their development arcs) makes even less sense.

Soon to be 26 year olds in the minor leagues who have never sniffed the majors, face long odds of being comtributors.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 08:58 PM)
Was Ross Gload a contributor? I'm sure his path was even more circuitous.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 09:02 PM)
Gload played in the major leagues as a 24 year old.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 09:03 PM)
He also didn't have Adam Dunn, Jose Abreu and Paul Konerko blocking him.

Gload was blocked by the likes of Frank Thomas, Paul Konerko and Mark Grace. Not to say Gload would have been a star otherwise of course, but it is worth noting.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 01:26 PM)
Gload was blocked by the likes of Frank Thomas, Paul Konerko and Mark Grace. Not to say Gload would have been a star otherwise of course, but it is worth noting.

And as I noted in a different post..the average OPS of MLB first basemen 10 years ago was 75-100 points higher. It's dropped from like .840-.850 to .750-.760.