7/23 Games

flavum

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 02:29 PM)
Is it silly to think maybe they're asking him to be more aggressive?

I think it would be silly to tell a hitter to stop being so patient and stop controlling the strike zone so well, yes. lol. But maybe instead they told him they want him to use those hitters counts to drive the ball instead of the Joey Votto approach of trying to draw a walk in every PA. So maybe on those 2-0 counts he is getting he is swinging and belting HR instead of taking a walk. I'm not really sure.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 02:31 PM)
I think it would be silly to tell a hitter to stop being so patient and stop controlling the strike zone so well, yes. lol. But maybe instead they told him they want him to use those hitters counts to drive the ball instead of the Joey Votto approach of trying to draw a walk in every PA. So maybe on those 2-0 counts he is getting he is swinging and belting HR instead of taking a walk. I'm not really sure.

Ya, that's pretty much what I mean...Giving him the green light on 2-0/3-0/3-1 counts

Andy Wilkins' last 10 games look like a sample from RTTS when you've pumped up your player's power and mastered the timing of pitches and you start to feel like maybe you need to turn up the difficulty.

Edited by Kalapse

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 09:13 PM)
Where will he be in 2 years? Probably starting for the Yankees putting up 30 bombs in that park

Yea, lots of cast off white sox minor leaguers pop up elsewhere and become awesome players

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 09:18 PM)
Fluke minor league performances happen all of the time.

To make the point, past HR leaders at Charlotte.

2012 Dan Johnson 28

2011 Steven Gartrell 26

2010 Steven Gartrell 27

2009 Michael Restovich 21

2008 Brad Eldred 35

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 09:16 PM)
Yea, lots of cast off white sox minor leaguers pop up elsewhere and become awesome players

Lol I was sort of joking but you never know..

Yeah how about it? Wilkins has some talent because he was a 5th rd pick. He plays 1B and is 6'1. He hits LH which is a plus. His wRC+ at Charlotte is 129 and he has a wOBA of .373. He's been raking lately. I don't take 1st base prospects seriously unless they can absolutely mash. Wilkins also carries a 5% walk rate and will turn 26 in September. He deserves a September look but isn't really a prospect at this point. I hope I'm wrong.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 09:28 PM)
Yeah how about it? Wilkins has some talent because he was a 5th rd pick. He plays 1B and is 6'1. He hits LH which is a plus. His wRC+ at Charlotte is 129 and he has a wOBA of .373. He's been raking lately. I don't take 1st base prospects seriously unless they can absolutely mash. Wilkins also carries a 5% walk rate and will turn 26 in September. He deserves a September look but isn't really a prospect at this point. I hope I'm wrong.

The Charlotte homer numbers are insane at their new park. Don't just look at Wilkins numbers, look up and down that line up. Danks is already at a career high too. Carlos Sanchez who had three homers in 5 years, has five homers. Takotte has gone from 4 homers to 11, in few ABs than last year. Davidson has more HRs already than he hit in the PCL all of last year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 09:35 PM)
The Charlotte homer numbers are insane at their new park. Don't just look at Wilkins numbers, look up and down that line up. Danks is already at a career high too. Carlos Sanchez who had three homers in 5 years, has five homers. Takotte has gone from 4 homers to 11, in few ABs than last year. Davidson has more HRs already than he hit in the PCL all of last year.

Look at his splits though...

Home- .264/.280/.538 13 HRs 34 RBI

Away- .298/346/.590 12 HRs 34 RBI

I'm really not sure what to think of him though. Worth a look if they can unload Dunn though.

Edited by scs787