Actual Baseball Trade Rumors From Legitimate Non-Imaginary Sources

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 01:09 PM)
That's kind of bogus. The Red Sox did a great job negotiating that contract (or at least that aspect of it) and they don't get to reap the benefits. If they gave him 20 million they wouldn't be able to back out. I wonder how that contract year is affecting the trade talks.

http://firebrandal.com/2014/07/29/john-lac...r-2015-red-sox/

Here's a little bit on it. He will use it as means for an extension. So while you may get him dirt cheap next season, the year after will cost you.

I guess it makes a lot of sense for teams with money coming off the books in a year.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Downtown518 @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 11:08 AM)
Peter Gammons ‏@pgammo 59s

The Indians are trading Justin Masterson to the Cardinals

For James Ramsey, the Cards 1st round pick in 2012.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 11:14 AM)
Not a bad return for the 2014 Masterson. I wonder if Cleveland is picking up mopst of the cash. I would imagine so.

Yeah, I was surprised they got that much.

Probably tells you more about what teams are asking for then anything.

JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm 4m

Don’t be surprised if Billy Beane makes one more big deal for the A’s by the deadline….and they are “in” on Jon Lester #A’s

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 2m

Diamondbacks are prepared to move Martin Prado in the right deal, a shift from a week ago. .693 OPS in '14, owed $11m in '15, $11m in 16.

Peter Gammons ‏@pgammo 4m

Dodgers have made it clear they're not trading Pederson, Seager or Urias, no longer on Lester, Price or Hamels. Thinking backend SP, bench

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 1m

Sources: Marlins and Red Sox are discussing a possible John Lackey trade. @FOXSports1

Things finally starting to heat up a bit? Possible Danks to Dodgers?

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 2m

I'm told Masterson acquisition does not necessarily take Cardinals out of the Jon Lester sweepstakes.

Alex Speier ‏@alexspeier 4m

Farrell says Lester expected in uniform with Sox today. No roster move yet to announce to clear spot for Workman.

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 51s

Cardinals still could acquire Jon Lester, but that may require giving up Shelby Miller, who is currently in the rotation.

Edited by SoxPride18

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 02:46 PM)
Interesting. So if Boston isn't going to win, they are going to do their best to make sure the Yankees don't either. Rivalries are dope.

If O's are giving them the best offer, it's in their best interest, especially since they seem to be indicating they have a great shot at re-signing him after this season. So they'll have solid prospects from an in division rival and potentially a front-line pitcher back in 2015, sounds great for BoSox!

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 09:38 AM)
I think you can have the best of both worlds here. I really don't think it matters if the Sox finish the season with 75 wins or 81 wins. I honestly believe Hahn will be aggressive in the FA market this winter regardless. I also have noticed that Hahn and the organization are finally putting a premium on draft picks. If you look at the farm system, it has improved quite a bit from where it was in 2012. The organization and most other MLB teams know that you need to build from within in today's game. Especially with the limitations of the new CBA. With that said, if the Sox are in the bottom 10, they can get that coveted first rounder AND have a solid chance of obtaining a top tier free agent with a risk of only losing a second rounder. Another thing to consider is some of these FAs might not even cost a pick if they were denied a QO. In my opinion, we will not see much of this as teams want draft picks.

The best case scenario will be for the Sox to drop in the bottom 10, sign Shields and possibly a C and new DH, get another talented first round draft pick and be ready to compete in 2015.

If the Sox drop into the top 10, signing James Shields probably isn't a good idea, because as of today, he's basically an average #2 to strong #3 on a contender, and he's probably only got one to two years of that performance in him.

I'd rather the team play well enough that Hahn is in a position to sacrifice the money and pick because that strong #3 is going to make us serious. Maybe we're simply not there yet, but that's where I'm rooting for us to be.

I can't see the Sox spending money on anyone that will also cost them a draft pick this off-season. The guys that are worth giving up a pick for not be viable candidates for the Sox and the pick is worth more than signing the Ubaldo Jimenez's of the world. I can see the Sox signing Masterson now that draft pick compensation cannot be tied to him and perhaps Edinson Volquez or Kyle Kendrick as a stopgap until Rodon is ready.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 03:08 PM)
I can't see the Sox spending money on anyone that will also cost them a draft pick this off-season. The guys that are worth giving up a pick for not be viable candidates for the Sox and the pick is worth more than signing the Ubaldo Jimenez's of the world. I can see the Sox signing Masterson now that draft pick compensation cannot be tied to him and perhaps Edinson Volquez or Kyle Kendrick as a stopgap until Rodon is ready.

Yeah, Masterson has to be pretty thrilled right now at not having the compensation monster hanging over his off season.

Just wondering, it says Lackey is probably going to be traded, and there were reports of the Sox scouting Boston's MiLB system because of a possible Danks deal. What if that is wrong & we're really looking to get Lackey and that's the real connection? Just throwin it out there but he's a righty who will make the league minimum next year and if Danks goes then a Sale-Lackey-Q-Noesi-Rodon rotation next year could be respectable. Probably not a contender but with enough offense it could be.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 03:16 PM)
Just wondering, it says Lackey is probably going to be traded, and there were reports of the Sox scouting Boston's MiLB system because of a possible Danks deal. What if that is wrong & we're really looking to get Lackey and that's the real connection? Just throwin it out there but he's a righty who will make the league minimum next year and if Danks goes then a Sale-Lackey-Q-Noesi-Rodon rotation next year could be respectable. Probably not a contender but with enough offense it could be.

I guess you never know what's going to happen. I thought it was also interesting that the Sox were scouting Boston's farm. Perhaps Hahn is working on yet another three way deal? I really don't see the White Sox giving up prospects at this point in the "re-tooling" process. Kudos for looking outside the box though. I guess at this point anything can happen.

This month’s Kenta Maeda watch: the 26-year-old Japanese righty is down to a 2.08 ERA in 15 starts.

Can't remember the name of the Korean pitcher who was being hyped in the off-season. Found him.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1946537...xt-hyun-jin-ryu

Here's a story on the Korean pitcher represented by Boras who has drawn interest from at least six teams...

Suk-Min Yoon

Yoon is on the small side, standing at an even six feet and weighing 180 pounds. He throws in the mid-90s, though, and complements his fastball with a hard, biting slider and a change-up that MLB scouts describe as above average. Though a starter, he has only thrown what we would consider an entire season's work (~175+ IP) once, in 2011. As best I can gather, the average starter in the KBO throws around 150 to 180 innings, making 25 to 30 starts, per season, often supplementing those starts with relief outings here and there.

Based on the above video, Yoon doesn’t feature a devastating splitter like Tanaka or a tantalizing breaking ball(s) like Yu Darvish. However, as is the case with most Korean and Japanese pitchers, everything he throws has late movement, which should aid Yoon’s effectiveness as he transitions into Major League Baseball.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 11:00 PM)
This month’s Kenta Maeda watch: the 26-year-old Japanese righty is down to a 2.08 ERA in 15 starts.

Can't remember the name of the Korean pitcher who was being hyped in the off-season.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1946537...xt-hyun-jin-ryu

Here's a story on the Korean pitcher represented by Boras who has drawn interest from at least six teams...

Suk-Min Yoon

Yoon is on the small side, standing at an even six feet and weighing 180 pounds. He throws in the mid-90s, though, and complements his fastball with a hard, biting slider and a change-up that MLB scouts describe as above average. Though a starter, he has only thrown what we would consider an entire season's work (~175+ IP) once, in 2011. As best I can gather, the average starter in the KBO throws around 150 to 180 innings, making 25 to 30 starts, per season, often supplementing those starts with relief outings here and there.

Based on the above video, Yoon doesn’t feature a devastating splitter like Tanaka or a tantalizing breaking ball(s) like Yu Darvish. However, as is the case with most Korean and Japanese pitchers, everything he throws has late movement, which should aid Yoon’s effectiveness as he transitions into Major League Baseball.

Yoon has been with the O's all year man...And he's been awful