Anderson and Rodon top 100 prospects

Bigsoxhurt35

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 12:08 PM)
No, those are the extreme upsides of each player. Gaby Sanchez is a much more realistic comp.

Honestly, in terms of the numbers, I see a lot of similarities to Conor. I've seen nothing from Ravelo to say that he is going to have 20 homer power. He hasn't even hit 10 in one season yet. Even in the minors, Butler was putting up some serious power numbers.

Power is the the one thing that you can project the least. Yes, sometimes a guy will suddenly find his power stroke in the upper minors/majors. By and large, though, if you have a player for whom you say "he'd be good IF he hit for power," you're looking at a player who isn't good.

Now, Ravelo can bat .320 and have some value, so he at least has that going for him. He's not powerless, he's just low power.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 01:03 PM)
Honestly, in terms of the numbers, I see a lot of similarities to Conor. I've seen nothing from Ravelo to say that he is going to have 20 homer power. He hasn't even hit 10 in one season yet. Even in the minors, Butler was putting up some serious power numbers.

Home runs in the minors doesn't necessarily dictate home runs in the majors. Hell, look at Jim Thome. Or Keon Barnum for that matter.

I think there is real potential there for much bigger HR totals from Ravelo. You seem to think that Barnum has tons of power ceiling room (which he does), but that Ravelo doesn't have that (but he also does). Remember too, even at draft time, there were scouting reports that specifically talked about Ravelo having significant potential for future power.

Callis gives 5 extra prospects in addition to hit top 20, still no Ravelo:

21. Chris Bassitt, rhp. After a breakthrough 2013 season, he fractured his pitching hand in an off-field incident and didn’t return to the mound until mid-July. His 91-95 mph fastball is his lone plus pitch, so he may be more of an asset as a reliever than as a back-of-the-rotation starter.

22. Jace Fry, lhp. Coming all the way back from Tommy John surgery in 2012, Fry went 11-2, 1.80 at Oregon State this spring and signed for $760,000 as a third-round pick. He’s a pitchability lefty who relies on his ability to command and mix three pitches, the best of which might be his changeup.

23. Eric Surkamp, lhp. Another southpaw who had his elbow reconstructed in 2012, he has transitioned from a starter throughout his pro career to a situational reliever in Chicago’s bullpen this summer. Surkamp works at 85-88 mph with his sinker and can miss some bats with his curveball.

24. Kyle Hansen, rhp. He’s trying to follow his brother Craig’s path from St. John’s to a big league bullpen. Kyle is a sinker/slider guy who can reach 95 mph with his fastball.

25. Tyler Saladino, inf/of. After two down years with the bat, he was having a strong season in Triple-A before he blew out his elbow making a throw from the outfield. Saladino lacks a plus tool, but he’s versatile and offers some gap power and on-base ability.

Newcomer To Watch: Jake Peter, inf/rhp. A seventh-round pick in June, he has hit .353/.419/.522 in his first 34 pro games at Rookie-level Great Falls. Peter is a middle infielder who handles the bat well and has average speed, but he tantalizes scouts the most with his arm. He showed a 92-96 mph fastball as a reliever at Creighton, though repeated elbow soreness limited his work on the mound.

http://jimcallis.mlblogs.com/2014/08/01/bo...ts-nos-21-25-2/

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Aug 1, 2014 -> 08:05 PM)
Anyone mention James Loney? That's who I always envision Ravelo as if he sticks/makes it to the bigs.

Loney is a great Defensive 1B. I brought up Nick Johnson and somebody else brought up Casey Kotchman. Daric Barton played for a long time for Oakland without much power.

Obviously the best outcome for a high-average, low power, defensively challenged right-hand hitting 3b/1b is Edgar Martinez, who was not highly thought of as a prospect, but got a shot cuz Jim Presley couldn't stop striking out. (Kind of a Matt Davidson type). Ravelo's never going to be a top prospect, but maybe he gets a shot in the next couple of years to prove his hit tool translates to MLB. Stranger things have have happened.

Edited by Timmy U

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 12:48 PM)
Mayo is consistently terrible

Some of their high-quality former staffers have been pilfered by MLB teams...another reason. I think Callis has also gotten a little bit distracted by all of his TV work, and the majority of his questions are from fans of teams like the Cubs, Red Sox and Yankees...and then, finally, the White Sox system has been down for so long it's taking time for it to be taken seriously again.

Until someone like Ravelo ends up producing (similar to a Gillaspie) at the major league level, there's still going to be that natural skepticism about our hitting prospects.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 02:07 PM)
Some of their high-quality former staffers have been pilfered by MLB teams...another reason. I think Callis has also gotten a little bit distracted by all of his TV work, and the majority of his questions are from fans of teams like the Cubs, Red Sox and Yankees...and then, finally, the White Sox system has been down for so long it's taking time for it to be taken seriously again.

Until someone like Ravelo ends up producing (similar to a Gillaspie) at the major league level, there's still going to be that natural skepticism about our hitting prospects.

Right, but as other have pointed out, there's just not a single argument that Ravelo is below Barnum. It really seems like he just doesn't even know about Ravelo, not that he's skeptical about him.

I know it's hard to keep up on these guys, but if you're MLBAM's official "prospect guy," you gotta find a way.

Edited by Eminor3rd

Danish will be on a lot of lists at season's end. The timing of the mid-season lists had his early high A struggles fresh in some minds, but he's obviously adjusted well.

He should be Top 50 or better. Only the lazy he-looks-like-a-reliever crowd will keep him out of the Top 20, which is where he belongs. He's our best prospect after Rodon.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 04:12 PM)
Danish will be on a lot of lists at season's end. The timing of the mid-season lists had his early high A struggles fresh in some minds, but he's obviously adjusted well.

He should be Top 50 or better. Only the lazy he-looks-like-a-reliever crowd will keep him out of the Top 20, which is where he belongs. He's our best prospect after Rodon.

I'd be surprised if he ranks that highly. He may sneak into the back of some top 100's but I wouldn't expect more than that.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 10:19 AM)
I'd be surprised if he ranks that highly. He may sneak into the back of some top 100's but I wouldn't expect more than that.

I agree. The lack of elite stuff and sure-fire starter frame/mechanics/etc. will keep him outside the 100. He is having a terrific year. I mean as a 19-year-old in High A, the only negative for his statistics are the hits, but that is partially a product of a minor-league defense.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 08:12 AM)

I would not expect Danish to be on any top 100 list and he is nowhere near our 2nd best prospect. I like him and his potential but objectively, there are a lot of reasons to peg him as a potential reliever. We need to see how he can handle continued innings increases, etc. I think he can stick as a starter, but it will be another year, imo, before he jumps into the top 100 picture and if he does what he did this year and continues to improve a year from now with more innings and a higher level under his belt, absolutely.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 09:52 AM)
I would not expect Danish to be on any top 100 list and he is nowhere near our 2nd best prospect. I like him and his potential but objectively, there are a lot of reasons to peg him as a potential reliever. We need to see how he can handle continued innings increases, etc. I think he can stick as a starter, but it will be another year, imo, before he jumps into the top 100 picture and if he does what he did this year and continues to improve a year from now with more innings and a higher level under his belt, absolutely.

Objectively, he's ~#8 among full season qualifiers for the ERA title in all of minor league baseball, and he's the youngest in the Top 20. He is the rarest of birds, in that he is an extreme groundballer while possessing no shortage of swing-and-miss stuff. He is convincing more people daily that he will stick as a starter, as he's getting through 6 innings consistently on low pitch counts with terrific efficiency.

This offseason will be key for the young man - if he increases his durability enough to maintain his stuff deeper into games, and possibly gains a tick, the Southern League and the IL won't have a chance.

It would have been laughable how low Chris Sale would have ranked due to similar biases had he stuck around the minor leagues for any length of time. Only comparing their rankability, not the pitchers - standard caveat here.

It appears that I'll be dragging this group kicking and screaming toward what I see as obvious. Time will tell. In the meantime, I'll take wagers on the bolded. Career WAR vs. Anderson? Don't want to root against Tim, who I'm extremely high on, but he has way more fleas than Tyler.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 09:35 AM)
I agree. The lack of elite stuff velocity and sure-fire starter frame/mechanics/etc. will keep him outside the 100. He is having a terrific year. I mean as a 19-year-old in High A, the only negative for his statistics are the hits, but that is partially a product of a minor-league defense.

FTFY, there's no shortage of stuff. He wouldn't get nearly the amount of swing-and-miss otherwise.

Look at the improvement in his results since Anderson was replaced with Rondon, and Basto was replaced with a human body capable of wearing a glove. He's going to give up a fair number of GB hits, still.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 09:34 AM)
I dont see Danish breaking the top 50, but I think he should get some strong consideration for top 100 if the rave reviews of scouts keep coming.

Ftr, I don't either. Just said he should be.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 11:25 AM)
Objectively, he's ~#8 among full season qualifiers for the ERA title in all of minor league baseball, and he's the youngest in the Top 20. He is the rarest of birds, in that he is an extreme groundballer while possessing no shortage of swing-and-miss stuff. He is convincing more people daily that he will stick as a starter, as he's getting through 6 innings consistently on low pitch counts with terrific efficiency.

This offseason will be key for the young man - if he increases his durability enough to maintain his stuff deeper into games, and possibly gains a tick, the Southern League and the IL won't have a chance.

It would have been laughable how low Chris Sale would have ranked due to similar biases had he stuck around the minor leagues for any length of time. Only comparing their rankability, not the pitchers - standard caveat here.

It appears that I'll be dragging this group kicking and screaming toward what I see as obvious. Time will tell. In the meantime, I'll take wagers on the bolded. Career WAR vs. Anderson? Don't want to root against Tim, who I'm extremely high on, but he has way more fleas than Tyler.

FTFY, there's no shortage of stuff. He wouldn't get nearly the amount of swing-and-miss otherwise.

Look at the improvement in his results since Anderson was replaced with Rondon, and Basto was replaced with a human body capable of wearing a glove. He's going to give up a fair number of GB hits, still.

Ftr, I don't either. Just said he should be.

The fact that he's so young is a big part of the reason he shouldn't be in the top 20. A ball is so far away from the majors. If he continues to miss bats and get results next year at a higher level, you'll start to see some more love for your boy.