WHITE SOX WINNER!

Jose Abreu

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 10:58 AM)
don't get me wrong I like Quintana but I really don't see him as a bona fide #2. more like a #3 and

he is more valuable to any team and I am extremely happy he is with the sox.

If Q is your #3, that means you have a really good rotation.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 01:54 AM)
LOL. Why "please no?" He's not a bad righty. Probably cost 13 mill a year though for 3-4 years.

Free agent contracts to in-demand starting pitchers are among the worst investments one can make

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 11:14 AM)
If Q is your #3, that means you have a really good rotation.

Incredibly good. If you slot a RHP after Sale and before Q it means he could essentially be an Ace. And right there you have a contender.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 10:30 AM)
I dont think you need to pay a pitcher that much since we have legit #1 and #2 already in the fold. You dont pay a #3 pitcher that much money.

Why is it a rigid rule that you have to have a "#1, #2, #3, #4 and #5" pitcher? If you could have two #1's, wouldn't you want to? Sale-Sherzer-Q would be an awesome short series rotation.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 11:03 AM)
What has me more excited is the improvement of him overall as a pitcher. He's striking more out, keeping the control in check, keeping the ball on the ground, and even throwing harder. He's an absolute stud.

Starts like last night are what really sell me. He had nothing, gave up nine hits, and still allowed only two runs.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 11:10 AM)
I just don't see it, but I will respect yours and everyone opinion on this.

I am honestly not really stating an opinion here. The statements lie in the numbers. Jose Quintana is really, really good.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 11:14 AM)
I was on that ship for a couple of years, but that ship docked and sailed off without me. Q is the real deal.

I was very skeptical after the first year and began believing after last year. This year has cinched it. He's incredible.

QUOTE (PorkChopExpress @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 11:18 AM)
Why is it a rigid rule that you have to have a "#1, #2, #3, #4 and #5" pitcher? If you could have two #1's, wouldn't you want to? Sale-Sherzer-Q would be an awesome short series rotation.

Because in 5 or 6 years, while the Sox are at the beginning - year 3 or 4 - of their 18 year division title run, I'd rather the Sox have money to spend on something else rather than $25 mill on a broken down, back of the rotation Max Scherzer.

QUOTE (PorkChopExpress @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 11:18 AM)

Truth. The goal is to assemble the best rotation possible, period. It doesn't matter where guys slot in.

But, the fact that we already have top pitching talent means that we would be better off allocating resources somewhere else - a left fielder, left-handed power to replace Dunn, catcher, bullpen, etc.

Combine that with the knowledge that teams who sign the hot stove's hottest pitcher literally almost always regret it eventually, and I say ignore Scherzer.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 04:15 PM)
Incredibly good. If you slot a RHP after Sale and before Q it means he could essentially be an Ace. And right there you have a contender.

thank you for a better example.

now here is a question. playoff comes, who are you most important pitchers. 1,2,3 yeah an agreement can

be made for #4. look at randy Johnson many yrs ago in the playoff. sea use him as a starting pitcher, rp and on

3 days rest a sp again.

look at philly several yrs ago..... a solid top 3 pitchers for their playoff run.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 04:20 PM)
I am honestly not really stating an opinion here. The statements lie in the numbers. Jose Quintana is really, really good.

I was very skeptical after the first year and began believing after last year. This year has cinched it. He's incredible.

I am not trying to argue your points, I am just accepting what you are stating.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 04:21 PM)
Because in 5 or 6 years, while the Sox are at the beginning - year 3 or 4 - of their 18 year division title run, I'd rather the Sox have money to spend on something else rather than $25 mill on a broken down, back of the rotation Max Scherzer.

but use team that don't change and gets too old or something. the team will need to make subtle changes in

the players to keep it contending.

pretty much like the chi hawks are doing with their salary cap. players at different layers and when their salary comes

up, they will either renew or let them walk. they have prospect waiting in the wings to be replacement.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 04:27 PM)
Truth. The goal is to assemble the best rotation possible, period. It doesn't matter where guys slot in.

But, the fact that we already have top pitching talent means that we would be better off allocating resources somewhere else - a left fielder, left-handed power to replace Dunn, catcher, bullpen, etc.

Combine that with the knowledge that teams who sign the hot stove's hottest pitcher literally almost always regret it eventually, and I say ignore Scherzer.

no offense, but I thought that would be understood.