Game Thread- Sox @ Tigers 12:10 PM CT

Jose Abreu

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 03:08 PM)
Rays weren't going to take Cespesdes' fairly expensive contract and deal with his impeding free agency in a year. They don't have the money to retain him.

That's why the A's didn't get Price.

Cespedes is a much better piece now than Franklin or Smyly ever will be.

And honestly, Smyly is not any better than Tommy Milone.

Not saying that the athletics should have got price, just that they added and subtracted and seems like tigers just added

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 03:09 PM)
Rays got less back for 1 1/2 years of Price than the Cubs for 1 1/2 years of Shark plus 1/2 a year of Hammel. God dammit.

I don't understand why the Rays would trade him now if that's all they were getting for him. They had the off-season to look for a trade. They must love Nick Franklin or something...

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 03:08 PM)
They usually do something. It's just their inventory of players to trade aren't game or team changers and there really is no urgency to trade them without exposing them to waivers. Who knows , these guys might play a little better and make themselves more attractive to teams in a week or 2. But right now, salary relief is probably the best you could expect, so why should the Sox bother?

Same question goes for why should the fans bother.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 03:10 PM)
Not saying that the athletics should have got price, just that they added and subtracted and seems like tigers just added

Agreed. The A's gave up a lot for what was more or less a luxury in Lester. They already had 5 solid starters, including 3 excellent ones.

The Tigers got better in the rotation and won't lose a ton in the lineup with Jackson (they will miss his defense though, they have no CFer).

QUOTE (1dog @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 03:12 PM)
I am shocked that the A's traded Cespedes BTW...to rent Lester for a few months? Just doesn't seem like the type of trade the A's usually make.

They're going for it all. Although this Price trade really gives the Tigers a good chance to screw up that plan.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 03:11 PM)
Same question goes for why should the fans bother.

Then don't.

Regardless of what is written on this board, if the Sox gave away Beckham, Dunn, Danks, Viciedo and De Aza today, it doesn't make them a better team. Besides, the minor leaguers you want to see, could all use some more time in the minor leagues.

Then don't.

Regardless of what is written on this board, if the Sox gave away Beckham, Dunn, Danks, Viciedo and De Aza today, it doesn't make them a better team. Besides, the minor leaguers you want to see, could all use some more time in the minor leagues.

I'm not upset at the Sox that Dunn wasn't traded, but I do think there are several teams who are very dumb for not pursuing him.

This team is so weird. It seems like whenever I'm watching or paying attention, they are putting together a nice run or a win streak and they're in every game, yet they're 3 games below .500. Again, it's weird, but this team feels like it should be 5-7 games over .500 right now instead.