Harrelson, predictably, taken to task by media

caulfield12

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 07:40 AM)
As opposed to using a 1-6 timeslot every day to express a personal agenda? Interesting how it works when you can't control the message like you can with callers.

You should tweet that to him.

How incredibly hypocritical for him to say that.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 05:17 AM)
Matt Abbatacola ‏@MattAbbatacola 12h

Too bad the @whitesox allow Ken to use the team broadcasts to be sexist and to express his personal agenda to things not related to baseball

Translation, he got me, and now my best move is to try to grab the high moral ground.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 09:56 AM)
He retweeted some who said a Hawk was also a racist. What did I miss there?

Things like this are why I hate sports talk radio.

They jump on him for his opinion on Asian(oriental) and Caribbean (you can't walk off the island) players

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 08:56 AM)
He retweeted some who said a Hawk was also a racist. What did I miss there?

Things like this are why I hate sports talk radio.

Yeah, I saw that one, too.

Would be funny if it ended up blowing up and kept him from getting his supposed morning show with Spiegel, Two Matts, whatever from 10-1.

I guess it's just because Harrelson is old and grew up in (Savannah) Georgia. Not sure where the racism thing came from. Maybe he was still drunk over that time period from the Saturday night 15th Anniversary thing with B&B and wasn't paying attention to what he was doing.

Another woman made a comment about insulting your (female) fanbase...someone said something about a bad White Sox team costing him his chance to get a show (not sure what that was supposed to mean).

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 09:16 AM)
They jump on him for his opinion on Asian(oriental) and Caribbean (you can't walk off the island) players

What did he say about Asian players?

He loves Ichiro...and was always a big Iguchi fan, Takatsu too, while it lasted with the gong. Because the White Sox used a gong sound, lol?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 10:18 AM)
What did he say about Asian players?

He loves Ichiro...and was always a big Iguchi fan, Takatsu too, while it lasted with the gong. Because the White Sox used a gong sound, lol?

He mentions that their pitching is always deceptive in the motion, and hitters always drift to the ball. And he calls them orientals

It is amazing Abbatacola obviously hates Hawk after Hawk did so much for him using his name in his play by play. Kind of odd. That was a big break for Abbatacola that a Hall of Fame announcer like Hawk would use his name in his play by play regularly.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 02:01 PM)
It is amazing Abbatacola obviously hates Hawk after Hawk did so much for him using his name in his play by play. Kind of odd. That was a big break for Abbatacola that a Hall of Fame announcer like Hawk would use his name in his play by play regularly.

Well...since those are broken bat infield grounders, not sure it's such a compliment. I'm sure it has something to do with either a golf or softball swing Abbatacola took in some type of Score event.

And I wouldn't quite put his fame up there with Bob Rohrman and Alex and Ursula Snelius.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 14, 2014 -> 02:56 PM)
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/hawk-harrelso...-170003256.html

They were also ripping him on The Score this morning and saying that he was sexist, an embarrassment, etc.

After listening to them rip him on the Score, I've decided to give old 670 a break for awhile. While Hawk says some ridiculous things sometimes, they just take every excuse to rip him. I don't know one person who was offended by the comment and can't think of one person I know who would be.

And logically, can we all just be realistic about ourselves for a second? Women wear skirts, there are not any women good enough to make the majors in baseball. The comment makes sense. Facts should never be offensive.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 09:20 AM)
He mentions that their pitching is always deceptive in the motion, and hitters always drift to the ball. And he calls them orientals

This is being old, not racist. This change happened a long time ago, granted, but it's tough for folks to change old habits and does not indicate anything racist, imo. "Colored" became "black" for our parents' generation, but you may still hear an elderly (non-racist) person use the term. "Hispanic" has been mostly replaced by the preferred term, "Latino", but you still hear the former a lot.

Yes, Hawk should probably know better, being in the public spotlight, just that this part of it seems rather innocent to me.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 04:52 PM)
This is being old, not racist. This change happened a long time ago, granted, but it's tough for folks to change old habits and does not indicate anything racist, imo. "Colored" became "black" for our parents' generation, but you may still hear an elderly (non-racist) person use the term. "Hispanic" has been mostly replaced by the preferred term, "Latino", but you still hear the former a lot.

Yes, Hawk should probably no better, being in the public spotlight, just that this part of it seems rather innocent to me.

I agree.

In the UK, the term is widely used and not considered offensive.

They know Hawk isn't using it in a derogatory way, but still call him racist. Anything to take a shot at Hawk.

LMAO, if Hawk tries to fight back, they get upset he has a platform to do so.

Abattocla is also the guy on the White Sox flagship who several years ago was giving away Sox tickets if sox fans would sing the Go Cubs Go song. His personal agenda, he is a Cubs fan.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 04:59 PM)
I agree.

In the UK, the term is widely used and not considered offensive.

They know Hawk isn't using it in a derogatory way, but still call him racist. Anything to take a shot at Hawk.

LMAO, if Hawk tries to fight back, they get upset he has a platform to do so.

Abattocla is also the guy on the White Sox flagship who several years ago was giving away Sox tickets if sox fans would sing the Go Cubs Go song. His personal agenda, he is a Cubs fan.

His agenda is ratings. He knows Hawk generates calls and clicks. Hell we have a 100+ posts here about it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 04:22 PM)
His agenda is ratings. He knows Hawk generates calls and clicks. Hell we have a 100+ posts here about it.

With Ozzie, Harry Caray, Mariotti, Mike North and Cowley all gone, Hawk's an easy target.

Besides, it's kind of hard to get all bent out of shape about someone on The Score who doesn't even merit his own show when someone like Lawrence Holmes gets one.

Edited by caulfield12

• 4 weeks later...
Interesting read for those that missed it. Relates directly to what was talked about earlier in this thread.

http://deadspin.com/cbss-james-brown-calls...ey-t-1633775506

I really hate when sports announcers get political *cough* Costas *cough* but I really like what Brown said, because he made his statement in a way that was advocating personal and social responsibility rather than a political position. Kudos to JB.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 13, 2014 -> 09:39 AM)
I really hate when sports announcers get political *cough* Costas *cough* but I really like what Brown said, because he made his statement in a way that was advocating personal and social responsibility rather than a political position. Kudos to JB.

I didn't watch the speech but the transcript was one of the dumbest things I've ever read:

This point in particular: "When a guy says "You throw a ball like a girl" or "You're a sissy." It reflects an attitude that devalues women, and attitudes will eventually manifest in some fashion" and then 2 sentences later he's throwing out a statistic about women who die from domestic violence events.

First, when you tell someone he throws like a girl you are not devaluing women, you are devaluing the person you are speaking to intentionally. This is the same thing that happens when you make a comment to one of your friends (as a joke of course) that implies ambiguity re: his sexual preferences. No, calling your friend the "other" f-word is not devaluing gay people, you are only saying that because you get a rise out of your friend being offended. You obviously wouldn't call your friend that in the presence of someone you knew was a homosexual, nor would you say something like that around other people you don't know very well. If you say "Dude you're a sissy" you're not doing anything other than taking the quickest, most direct route to an insult. If you told a girl "You throw like a girl" she should say "I am a girl you moron!" or something like that, and not be ashamed of who she is. Same thing, call a gay person a derogatory name and hopefully that person is strong enough and proud enough to be able to say "Yeah I am, you got a problem with that you dumbf*** redneck?" That sort of thing. But there's a huge difference in making a comment meant as a joke or slight insult to a friend (or even making an insult) and physically harming another person, especially to the point of killing them. I mean come on.

That guy is a f***ing moron for saying that. And there's zero reason to ever lecture anyone on why you shouldn't beat up women. Some things just don't need explaining unless of course you are a judge, a cop, or a lawyer. It's just another bulls*** attempt to save face by a member of the corporate media so that people don't feel bad about pissing their afternoons away in front of the tv watching some meaningless football game. Keep those f***ers in the their seats & swallowing all those commercials up. The network blowhards knew they had to address the manner in some way so they did. Also IMO that guy is a sissy and he throws like a girl, and if that comment enrages him to the point where he feels like being violent toward a woman then that is his problem, he's the one who needs to see a shrink, and if he legitimately thinks that people in a vacuum who decide to throw out insults are really these unpredictable loose cannons about to erupt into domestic violence events then still, that's his problem and he's still the one who needs to see a shrink. God damn it I hate when the media tries to speak on stuff like this, the comments themselves are often just as ignorant and offensive as the subject matter is. What a f***in douche, IMO that guy can go swallow a Coca-Cola flavored dick.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 13, 2014 -> 12:18 PM)
f*** political correctness. It is the most damning religion in this country. It's stench first started in Europe and now they are starting to see the error of their ways. Most girls throw different than boys. Go watch a school mixed PE class.

You're right, and it is like a religion, but the religion isn't political correctness, it is the media.

NEVER get your values from the media.

NEVER rely on the media to choose your heroes, because all you'll get is athletes and various (usually superficially talented) celebrities.

And when some event happens like this one, NEVER listen to these dumbf***s when they try to explain why it happens/how it happens.

You can say we live in a media culture but I'm not sure where the culture is exactly. We just live in the media period, and there's nothing good about it.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 13, 2014 -> 09:39 AM)

I do not watch football to have the tv crew preach to me about moral values stick to football.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Sep 13, 2014 -> 12:36 PM)
This point in particular: "When a guy says "You throw a ball like a girl" or "You're a sissy." It reflects an attitude that devalues women, and attitudes will eventually manifest in some fashion" and then 2 sentences later he's throwing out a statistic about women who die from domestic violence events.

First, when you tell someone he throws like a girl you are not devaluing women, you are devaluing the person you are speaking to intentionally.This is the same thing that happens when you make a comment to one of your friends (as a joke of course) that implies ambiguity re: his sexual preferences.

How is it that you are devaluing the person with a comment that says they are girl-like without your comment also implying that there is something bad about being like a girl?

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 13, 2014 -> 01:44 PM)
How is it that you are devaluing the person with a comment that says they are girl-like without your comment also implying that there is something bad about being like a girl?

I take it that you are a very nice person and you probably haven't insulted many others on purpose in your life, so you probably don't know how put-downs work. That's okay, I will explain.

When you put down someone else there are mainly 2 roads to take, one via intellect where you rack your brain a bit and maybe even make the person have to think about it (the back-handed compliment is probably the most common, or one of the most common) or you take the quickest route possible, i.e. you find the most obvious thing that you think another person would be sensitive about and you put it out in the open. And if there's really nothing there, you pick something very general that another person would likely take pride in (i.e. competency, sexuality, etc.) and compare it to something else that is deficient in those qualities/aspects.

When you get to the "you throw like a girl" part you are taking the simplest route possible. You are obviously telling this to a boy/man because you wouldn't ever tell a girl that she threw like a girl.... what's the point? It wouldn't work. So you are deliberately making an obvious assumption (this boy/man is confident in his masculintiy) and then comparing him to a girl as an attempt to bring him down and laugh at him. That's why you do it. And if you have a habit of doing these things where you and a friend or whatever are jokingly putting each other down all the time, it's really just a game. In the Hawk sense it's a bit larger in scope, i.e. the seriousness/integrity/manliness/history of the game is being undermined or questioned, so you respond by questioning the goal of the subject, i.e. to make baseball a girl's game and so on.

What you are doing is not devaluing a woman or a girl, you are picking a characteristic about a certain thing that would not be ideally identified with that thing and then making a comment to create whatever effect you had intended, i.e. question a rule, put someone down , etc. You just pick an undesirable or inapplicable quality and apply it somewhere, with or without reason. But the quality you are defining only applies to what you are attaching it to, i.e. in "throwing like a girl" the "girl" part only applies to the specific person in the specific act of throwing, nothing more. It isn't an indictment of women or a call to violence. Only a complete moron with no social conscious whatsoever (or in this case an intellectially devoid corporate media hack) would ever think as much.

It's just a simple thing with a simple purpose. A put down or a totally hyperbolic statement or comparison has a very simple purpose and poitn. And I guess in that respect you can draw a comparison to a put down and domestic violence, which also has a very specific purpose and point. But one is innocent or relatively innocent; one causes no physical damage or bodily harm. The other puts you in prison and gets you raped by big, angry iron-pumping sexally frustrated men. And for very good reason. Only some dumbf*** hack would try to connect the two. And f*** the media basically, that's really my larger point here. Eat whole foods & f*** the media.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 13, 2014 -> 06:18 PM)
f*** political correctness. It is the most damning religion in this country. It's stench first started in Europe and now they are starting to see the error of their ways. Most girls throw different than boys. Go watch a school mixed PE class.

Yes, but some really fire the ball. Just watch a college softball game. Those infielders and outfielders can throw bullets. I think when girls start playing catch when they are young and/or get proper instruction, just like guys they look good in terms of throwing a ball.