Gillaspie vs. Flowers

Dunt

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 06:06 PM)
Davidson only hit .199 and struck out 164 times in only 478 at bats. The results show that the Sox knew Davidson had a problem with pitch recognition and contact issues which explains why he was sent down and why his numbers at Charlotte suck. These are the indicators that show Davidson was not and still is not ready. Also would like to point out that the Sox wanted Davidson at Charlotte because he needed work on his defense at 3B which by the way was a horrible .943 fielding percentage for the season at Charlotte . Combine all that with Conor's lefty bat and MLB experience and its easy to see how Davidson played at Charlotte and Gillespie played for the Sox. Those are the facts!

That said, I'm done. Enjoy. :D

1 big problem.

If the White Sox knew this, why did they trade for him?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone that thinks a kid that his .199 in AAA would have magically been a 250 hitter in MLB is f***ing delusional. Furthermore, if the kid is that upset about the demotion how in the hell is he going to have the mental toughness to perservere through his first 2 for 50 streak?

Some of you guys are nuts, seriously.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 01:11 PM)
C'mon now....Who prior to Semien getting called up could have platooned with Gillaspie? Lets not throw stones at Robin for not platooning him when Leury Garcia was his backup infielder.

Beckham . But seems as if the Sox didn't want him playing anywhere but 2nd base . In hindsight maybe he'll have more value as an infielder who can play 3rd, SS and 2nd base.

Maybe once it became apparent that Conor raked against righties they wanted to give him an opportunity to improve against lefties. Also could be Conor is trying to hit for more power in the 2nd half knowing his batting average can take a bit of a hit if he struggled. I'd love for him to start hitting again though and finish above .300 .

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 06:03 PM)
1 big problem.

If the White Sox knew this, why did they trade for him?

Easy. Davidson is only 23, good power potential, possible 3B of the future. Plus you cannot possibly expect a team to know everything about a player from outside their organization, some things need to be seen first hand and that's where ST helps. Young players are a crap shoot, we all know this.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 06:32 PM)
Anyone that thinks a kid that his .199 in AAA would have magically been a 250 hitter in MLB is f***ing delusional. Furthermore, if the kid is that upset about the demotion how in the hell is he going to have the mental toughness to perservere through his first 2 for 50 streak?

Absolutely! I think what I like most about this post is there was nooo sugar coating. Straight to the f***ing point! :headbang

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 09:06 PM)
Easy. Davidson is only 23, good power potential, possible 3B of the future. Plus you cannot possibly expect a team to know everything about a player from outside their organization, some things need to be seen first hand and that's where ST helps. Young players are a crap shoot, we all know this.

You just made a really strong case that it's insane to trade for any other team's minor league players. I liked the Davidson deal, but man, if they could possibly miss "Things that turn him into a sub .200 hitter at AAA" then there needs to be another scouting and front office overhaul.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 08:13 PM)
You just made a really strong case that it's insane to trade for any other team's minor league players. I liked the Davidson deal, but man, if they could possibly miss "Things that turn him into a sub .200 hitter at AAA" then there needs to be another scouting and front office overhaul.

I think that going into the trade the Sox knew of Davidson's high strike outs and poor defense but liked his power potential from 3B.

Nowhere have I said the Sox knew Davidson would hit below .200 so let's just stop right there.

All I'm saying is the Sox saw things in ST that they felt Davidson needed to work on at AAA.

Also, a little help from the board here but wasn't there speculation about Davidson's 2013 AAA numbers being inflated due to the park he had been hitting in? Im speaking about conversations on this board last winter after the trade.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 01:42 PM)
Gillaspie is going to get another chance because he has played well enough, he hits left-handed, he's a great clubhouse guy, and there are contingency plans with Semien/Davidson. I sure hope no one is banking on Gillaspie being a long term contributor though.

We seem to have a lot of those if it could only translate to winning ballgames.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 10:05 PM)
They should not have traded Reed for Davidson. I can't remember if I ever said that before in any other thread.

Just to say again, the thread when we got him was overwhelmingly positive. I liked it, still threw in the "strikeouts" and "well now we have to move Gillaspie" caveats, but thought it was a good move.

If they are missing moves like that, where they trade for a guy and he immediately implodes, that's the kind of thing that makes you question the scouting, even after just one of them.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 10:05 PM)
Gillaspie >>>>>>> Davidson

Hindsight might be a b****, but guys that hit below .200 in AAA would have got destroyed in the majors. There really is no argument to be had here.

Amen. You said succinctly what I wanted to say.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 11:32 PM)

Amen again. Although to play devil's advocate to your second sentence. The people that think he was upset about the demotion and it affected his performance (all season) believe he wouldn't have had to have had the mental toughness to persevere through a 2-for-25 stretch because he'd have raked all season. Don't forget, he still has the unknown (second team quarterback) syndrome on his side with many fans.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 01:13 AM)
You just made a really strong case that it's insane to trade for any other team's minor league players.

I liked the Davidson deal, but man, if they could possibly miss "Things that turn him into a sub .200 hitter

at AAA" then there needs to be another scouting and front office overhaul.

I strongly disagree, and here is why. where is there in the history of baseball, where 1 person made

every trade, a successful one. there will be bumps in the road however with the lack of overall skill level

in the system, it make this trade more pronounce.

I wonder if there was 100% approval when the trade happen? I know 1 thing, I will now question

all the stats that comes from prospect from that league.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 02:26 AM)
Amen. You said succinctly what I wanted to say.

Amen again. Although to play devil's advocate to your second sentence. The people that think he was upset about the demotion and it affected his performance (all season) believe he wouldn't have had to have had the mental toughness to persevere through a 2-for-25 stretch because he'd have raked all season. Don't forget, he still has the unknown (second team quarterback) syndrome on his side with many fans.

I really agree, but I am going to say something without using rose color glasses or soft soap it.

if he couldn't deal with being demoted, 1. did he do anything to show otherwise 2 get really freaking

real. he is a pro, who is maybe 1 season from making the big show. how many freaking players

would have love to have be considered for such a move. believe me, I am sure the sox sent him down

with a list to work on ........ not to pout.

Edited by LDF