Addison Reed trade from DBacks' perspective

caulfield12

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Sep 19, 2014 -> 12:52 PM)
I don't have an issue with the trade. I would just like to know what other offers he had, if any, for Reed.

Same here. If Hahn wanted to shop Reed, he could have gotten a lot more, IMO. I would love to know how the trade evolved.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 19, 2014 -> 07:22 PM)
Nope. Matt Davidson and Nate Jones are not MLB caliber players, those are the only two facts I have learned in this thread.

Yep. Jose Abreu will also never improve. He's actually bound to regress into a complete loser.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Sep 19, 2014 -> 09:57 PM)
Same here. If Hahn wanted to shop Reed, he could have gotten a lot more, IMO. I would love to know how the trade evolved.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 19, 2014 -> 10:11 PM)
Until I see some sort of proof, I don't believe it.

Yeah, the return here was worth a lot more than the last time we traded a closer and this seemed like a solid price for a closer. They scouted the player poorly and someone should have gotten fired for that poor level of scouting because the team is supposed to scout players better than random people who compile lists for BA, but that was a fair return based on the general feelings.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 19, 2014 -> 09:35 PM)
Yeah, the return here was worth a lot more than the last time we traded a closer and this seemed like a solid price for a closer. They scouted the player poorly and someone should have gotten fired for that poor level of scouting because the team is supposed to scout players better than random people who compile lists for BA, but that was a fair return based on the general feelings.

If you owned the White Sox, you would be paying so many people for not working. The good news is if Hahn wants a closer, he can probably get a decent one because he still has Davidson.What GM wouldn't want a potential 30 HR guy with 6 years of control (but apparently they do get really expensive after 3 years) for the low low price of an established closer.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 19, 2014 -> 10:37 PM)
Of you owned the White Sox, you would be paying so many people for not working.

Why? Scouts don't have long term contracts. The only people who do are players and managers and I wouldn't have extended a manager after a debacle like 2013.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 19, 2014 -> 10:37 PM)
The good news is if Hahn wants a closer, he can probably get a decent one because he still has Davidson.What GM wouldn't want a potential 30 HR guy with 6 years of control (but apparently they do get really expensive after 3 years) for the low low price of an established closer.

So you're now agreeing with me that someone committed a fireable offense by poor scouting since that isn't true and you're obviously being sarcastic in this statement. Thanks for your support. As you said, the principle was sound, but the team failed to scout the player appropriately and that's the kind of thing that should have consequences.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 19, 2014 -> 09:39 PM)
Why? Scouts don't have long term contracts. The only people who do are players and managers and I wouldn't have extended a manager after a debacle like 2013.

Scouts, Ventura, coaches.....someone always must be fired in your mind.bad trades happen. It is just weird some just can't and won't say this one was bad.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 19, 2014 -> 10:43 PM)
Scouts, Ventura, coaches.....someone always must be fired in your mind.

So you just want to complain, right? Nothing should be changed, as you said the principle was sound, nothing needs reevaluated due to a large, significant failure.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 19, 2014 -> 09:43 PM)
So you're now agreeing with me that someone committed a fireable offense by poor scouting since that isn't true and you're obviously being sarcastic in this statement. Thanks for your support. As you said, the principle was sound, but the team failed to scout the player appropriately and that's the kind of thing that should have consequences.

Considering your ego, I think you need to be reminded what you thought about Andre Rienzo. Look at him now. If you can be that far off, I think you can understand a scout not making millions making similar errors.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 19, 2014 -> 10:47 PM)
Considering your ego, I think you need to be reminded what you thought about Andre Rienzo. Look at him now. If you can be that far off, I think you can understand a scout not making millions making similar errors.

So you can't support your own statements and need to go for a low/outside blow.

You follow your own logic and it implies something needs to change. That's one helluva risk to have blow up in your face. If that happens a couple times a franchise is ruined for years. The team can't afford to miss things like that. This was a $20 million+ decision that we seem to have blown. As you said, the concept was sound, that means that the work that led into it was faulty. That is a giant, multimillion dollar mistake.

How many multi million dollar mistakes can a team afford? If a scout being paid a pittance causes you to blow a $20 million decision, maybe the problem is that you're not paying the right scouts?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 19, 2014 -> 09:52 PM)
So you can't support your own statements and need to go for a low/outside blow.

You follow your own logic and it implies something needs to change. That's one helluva risk to have blow up in your face. If that happens a couple times a franchise is ruined for years. The team can't afford to miss things like that. This was a $20 million+ decision that we seem to have blown. As you said, the concept was sound, that means that the work that led into it was faulty. That is a giant, multimillion dollar mistake.

How many multi million dollar mistakes can a team afford? If a scout being paid a pittance causes you to blow a $20 million decision, maybe the problem is that you're not paying the right scouts?

All I have written is the trade was bad and Davidson isn't as good as he was supposed to be. The numbers support it. You started with the heads must roll crap. But thanks for the opportunity you were so kind to provide me earlier.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 19, 2014 -> 10:04 PM)
All I have written is the trade was bad and Davidson isn't as good as he was supposed to be. The numbers support it. You started with the heads must roll crap. But thanks for the opportunity you were so kind to provide me earlier.

He wasnt tagged for the majors until 2015 at the earliest, so how do we know this?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 19, 2014 -> 10:10 PM)
.199 165 strike outs. I think it is pretty safe to assume he won't be considered a top 100 prospect this winter like he still seems to be considered by a few here.

He was when he was acquired and he very well could improve upon that. Any time you acquire a top 100 prospect for an average at best closer its a good deal, especially for a rebuilding club.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 19, 2014 -> 11:04 PM)

So to summarize, you want the opportunity to complain and nothing else. Right?

Everything that went into the decision was fine, as you've said, no big mistakes that should require overhauls or firing were committed. Absolutely nothing should change. Yet:

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 19, 2014 -> 09:45 AM)
but with hindsight, it was awful, and White Sox scouts have to be better than this. Matt Davidson cannot play.

So "White Sox scouts have to be better than this, Matt Davidson cannot play", but there can't be any consequences for the GM or scouting staff. Nothing should change. They just need to be better with no changes.

Today, it looks like a bad trade. At the time, it was my favorite Hahn trade to date. Ultimately, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Results matter. If Hahn ultimately cannot turn the organization around, he will be asked to step down, and whether the trade "seemed" wise at the time won't matter.

That said, I support the general thought process that went into making that trade at the time.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 19, 2014 -> 10:16 PM)
So to summarize, you want the opportunity to complain and nothing else. Right?

Everything that went into the decision was fine, as you've said, no big mistakes that should require overhauls or firing were committed. Absolutely nothing should change. Yet:

So "White Sox scouts have to be better than this, Matt Davidson cannot play", but there can't be any consequences for the GM or scouting staff. Nothing should change. They just need to be better with no changes.

They have to be better. In baseball mistakes happen. Even you are wrong from time to time. I would be willing to bet anything if Hahn knew how Davidson would perform this season he would not have made the trade .

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 19, 2014 -> 11:19 PM)
They have to be better. In baseball mistakes happen. Even you are wrong from time to time. I would be willing to bet anything if Hahn knew how Davidson would perform this season he would not have made the trade .

So he needs better scouts based on your logic. They need to replace some. Thanks for clarifying. They failed at a multi million dollar decision and as you said, they have to be better. Time for some new ones.

Its either that or you just really like complaining and aren't willing to follow the logic of your complaints.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 19, 2014 -> 10:18 PM)
Today, it looks like a bad trade. At the time, it was my favorite Hahn trade to date. Ultimately, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Results matter. If Hahn ultimately cannot turn the organization around, he will be asked to step down, and whether the trade "seemed" wise at the time won't matter.

That said, I support the general thought process that went into making that trade at the time.

You make that trade 10 out of 10 times. And I still believe in Davidson. We dont know the backstory of his struggles this year.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 19, 2014 -> 10:14 PM)
He was when he was acquired and he very well could improve upon that. Any time you acquire a top 100 prospect for an average at best closer its a good deal, especially for a rebuilding club.

He was a top 100 prospect in theory. Not in reality. And if he doesn't improve a lot it won't be a good deal. Also from his quotes Hahn fully expected him to play a lot for the White Sox this season and he couldn't even get a September call up.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 19, 2014 -> 10:24 PM)
He was a top 100 prospect in theory. Not in reality. And if he doesn't improve a lot it won't be a good deal. Also from his quotes Hahn fully expected him to play a lot for the White Sox this season and he couldn't even get a September call up.

His card says 2015 at the earliest. They were going to see what they had with Connor this season unless he got seriously hurt. I also think Davidson is late 2015 or 2016 realistically. It was a no brainer trade.