**Official ALDS Games thread**

Brian

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 07:46 AM)
I will confess... I love watching KC. The defense, the speed, etc. It is throw back baseball, and it is fun to watch. They put stress on the other team, and many teams just can't handle it.

Their defense is the reason they were up 2-0 entering game 3. And then in game 3, they outplayed Angels and Cain made another couple incredible catches. Touche. At this point, go Royals. I also will root for the Dodgers for the sake of my dad.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 08:56 AM)
Chuck Garfien ‏@ChuckGarfien 13h13 hours ago

Albert Pujols and Josh Hamilton, who combined to bat .095 in the ALDS have a combined $278 million left on their contracts.

Pujols was robbed a couple times. Hamilton was atrocious and in his defense, hadn't played in like a month. Never though the Hamilton deal would turn into the albatross it did. 5 years didn't seem that terrible at the time but boy is it. Pujols deal was always terrible but he's healthier this year then he had been in a few (still not 100% and never will be) but he was actually pretty good. That said, the contract is an utter disaster.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 05:58 PM)
Pujols was robbed a couple times. Hamilton was atrocious and in his defense, hadn't played in like a month. Never though the Hamilton deal would turn into the albatross it did. 5 years didn't seem that terrible at the time but boy is it. Pujols deal was always terrible but he's healthier this year then he had been in a few (still not 100% and never will be) but he was actually pretty good. That said, the contract is an utter disaster.

So two more contracts that are disasters. Have any of these long term deals actually benefited the team to where you'd say the player is worth the cash?

A-Rod. No; Fielder, No. Dunn. No. On and on and on and yet teams will keep signing 'em up every year.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 03:02 PM)
So two more contracts that are disasters. Have any of these long term deals actually benefited the team to where you'd say the player is worth the cash?

A-Rod. No; Fielder, No. Dunn. No. On and on and on and yet teams will keep signing 'em up every year.

A-Rod was absolutely vital to the Yankees winning the '09 World Series. I doubt they'd give back that ring to not have signed that contract.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 03:02 PM)

One of these things is not like the other. Dunn's contract was nowhere near as bad as ARod or Fielder's. You are talking about 9 and 10 year contracts versus a 4 year contract. Think about that for a second.

Anyways, plenty of these contracts are just fine. It's just not advisable to give 6+ years to guys who are older than 30. And, frankly, you have to assume players will have down years every now and then. How did you feel about Buehrle's 4 year, $56 million deal that he signed with the Sox in 2007? That's the same exact amount as Adam Dunn's. How about Paul Konerko signing a 5 years, $60 million deal after 2005? How about Jose Abreu signing a 6 year, $68 million deal? Do you feel any of those are bad contracts?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 03:06 PM)
A-Rod was absolutely vital to the Yankees winning the '09 World Series. I doubt they'd give back that ring to not have signed that contract.

The first ARod deal wasn't that bad when you consider what he put up. From 2001 to 2010 he never put up less than 30 homers or 100 RBI. If you go by his opt out in 2007, he only hit less than 40 homers twice (35 and 36) and less than 120 RBI twice (106 and 118), with 4 OPS's over 1.000 and 6 over .900, two SLG's under .600, and 3 BAs under .300.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 01:07 PM)
One of these things is not like the other. Dunn's contract was nowhere near as bad as ARod or Fielder's. You are talking about 9 and 10 year contracts versus a 4 year contract. Think about that for a second.

Anyways, plenty of these contracts are just fine. It's just not advisable to give 6+ years to guys who are older than 30. And, frankly, you have to assume players will have down years every now and then. How did you feel about Buehrle's 4 year, $56 million deal that he signed with the Sox in 2007? That's the same exact amount as Adam Dunn's. How about Paul Konerko signing a 5 years, $60 million deal after 2005? How about Jose Abreu signing a 6 year, $68 million deal? Do you feel any of those are bad contracts?

Yanks aren't even paying Arod right now (or at least I don't think they are). Yanks won a world series with him. He had a 40.8 WAR over 10 seasons, which was just over 4 per year and includes 2013 which was shortened significantly due to injuries, etc. Adam Dunn, -1.5 WAR.

Arod made 297.4M from Yankees over that tenure and that worked to 7.2M per win above replacement. Dunn on the other hand, equated to 37.3M per NEGATIVE win above replacement. Dunn was a far worse contract then the Arod one. It isn't even close. Dunn was truly pathetic.

I'm curious to see what the bottom WAR was for qualified players over the span Dunn was with White Sox. I'd imagine it is bottom 10 in all of baseball.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 03:24 PM)
the warning signs were there for Hamilton. IIRC his final season with the Rangers, he went through mid June hitting .400 or close to it, and then from that point he hit less than .200.

Him and PK were both unreal the first half of that season. And then career over for both.