Arizona Fall League - 7 Sox prospects

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 27, 2014 -> 11:51 AM)
Bassitt and Montas make the AFL All Star game. Lindor and Seager over Anderson.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/afl-...s-game-rosters/ AFL Fall Stars Game will be played at 7 p.m. EST and broadcast on MLB Network and streamed live on MLB.com. Nov. 1 .

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 08:39 AM)
He absolutely does. He just prefers pitching out of the bullpen.

Yeah it's not a makeup thing. It is partially his comfort level, but also some questions about the breadth and quality of his secondary arsenal that make a relief role more likely.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 10:03 AM)
Yeah it's not a makeup thing. It is partially his comfort level, but also some questions about the breadth and quality of his secondary arsenal that make a relief role more likely.

But then again, by all accounts his slider was significantly improved during ST this year and times afterwards, so that could put him as having a better chance at being a starter.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 09:28 AM)
But then again, by all accounts his slider was significantly improved during ST this year and times afterwards, so that could put him as having a better chance at being a starter.

He's got a plus fastball and a slider that is looking quite good. The issue is, he's really a two-pitch pitcher, at least right now. That could change of course and I'm sure he's working on that, but right now he profiles as a reliever for me.

I guess this is partly a question of timing. Do you want to...

A. Make him a reliever, and in that case IMO, he's MLB-ready today

or

B. Keep him in AA/AAA to refine secondary stuff and see if he can make another pitch or two at least playable or MLB average (knowing that may or may not happen, but the value then goes up)

I don't have the answer, though I'd lean towards A myself.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 10:51 AM)
He's got a plus fastball and a slider that is looking quite good. The issue is, he's really a two-pitch pitcher, at least right now. That could change of course and I'm sure he's working on that, but right now he profiles as a reliever for me.

or

B. Keep him in AA/AAA to refine secondary stuff and see if he can make another pitch or two at least playable or MLB average (knowing that may or may not happen, but the value then goes up)

He definitely has a 3rd pitch, his curveball sits in the mid 70s and it looks like PitchFX has him throwing that just about as often as the slider last year. IT's not IDing his pitches perfectly (calling some a change) but it looks like when he gets good break on it, it's a strong pitch, but he hangs it sometimes and when he does that it gets destroyed.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 09:59 AM)
He definitely has a 3rd pitch, his curveball sits in the mid 70s and it looks like PitchFX has him throwing that just about as often as the slider last year. IT's not IDing his pitches perfectly (calling some a change) but it looks like when he gets good break on it, it's a strong pitch, but he hangs it sometimes and when he does that it gets destroyed.

I don't know that a curve ball is anything more than an additional offering though. I don't think it'll help against tough lefties as anything more than a change of pace pitch. I think he'd need to refine a change or a cutter to become a consistently good starting pitcher, which isn't out of the realm of possibility but also isn't something that can be counted on.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 09:59 AM)

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 10:04 AM)
I don't know that a curve ball is anything more than an additional offering though. I don't think it'll help against tough lefties as anything more than a change of pace pitch. I think he'd need to refine a change or a cutter to become a consistently good starting pitcher, which isn't out of the realm of possibility but also isn't something that can be counted on.

I haven't heard any scouting reports about the CB - just seen reports that his pitches outside of the FB and SL are not consistent.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 03:03 PM)

for me, makeup can, in this discussion or situation, mean the same thing

as comfort level or mind set.

however pls don't take this as a challenge b/c I am not meaning it to be. I

pretty much agree with all that has been countered.

either way too bad his future may not be as a starter. great K's to ER's, if he

had other very dependable pitches in his arsenal, he would be a great pitcher.

The Hound..... I just love the nickname.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 11:45 AM)
for me, makeup can, in this discussion or situation, mean the same thing

as comfort level or mind set.

however pls don't take this as a challenge b/c I am not meaning it to be. I

pretty much agree with all that has been countered.

either way too bad his future may not be as a starter. great K's to ER's, if he

had other very dependable pitches in his arsenal, he would be a great pitcher.

The Hound..... I just love the nickname.

I don't think he has any problem starting games, but just reading about him, he seems to be an intense guy who likes to channel his focus into a short burst, which is why you'd prefer relieving. He seems like a guy who likes to give 100% at all times, and you can't do that as a starter or you will throw out a shoulder and/or elbow plus any number of other possible injuries, which is why guys tone it back when they start.

Best case scenario, we have a poor man's version of Wade Davis. That wouldn't be a bad thing.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 05:55 PM)
I don't think he has any problem starting games, but just reading about him, he seems to be an intense guy who likes to channel his focus into a short burst, which is why you'd prefer relieving. He seems like a guy who likes to give 100% at all times, and you can't do that as a starter or you will throw out a shoulder and/or elbow plus any number of other possible injuries, which is why guys tone it back when they start.

Best case scenario, we have a poor man's version of Wade Davis. That wouldn't be a bad thing.

no, I agree with you, it would not be a bad thing.

ref to starting games and coming out of the pen. as a player I like him and his

future. I am happy for prospects when he makes it to the show.

with that, when he gets more experience, he will get into that comfort level,

where all pitchers need to be. if that means he will be a reliever / spot starter

fine with me. I just have high hopes he will do great.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 09:51 AM)

or

If his ceiling IF he develops that third pitch is MLB average, I'd go with A. MLB average I consider a 4 or 5. If he can be a 3, I'd give him another year in AAA.