Arizona Fall League - 7 Sox prospects

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 09:16 AM)
A little video/scouting on Anderson and Montas

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/26271672/v368...elop-in-the-afl

Montas is a horse. Probably could drop a few pounds.

I could care less if he gains or loses weight. If he's put on a little weight and pitched this well, I see no reason to push hard for weight loss. No one is asking him to pinch run.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 09:50 AM)
I could care less if he gains or loses weight. If he's put on a little weight and pitched this well, I see no reason to push hard for weight loss. No one is asking him to pinch run.

You don't want to see him get super fat, but I don't think big pitchers are necessarily a good or bad thing. I don't have any numbers to back it, but it doesn't seem as though, long term, there's an discernable difference between skinny, normal, and fat pitchers.

I'm sure someone will bring up Bobby Jenks eventually, which is a case for pitchers not being too fat - by the end of his career, he was 6'4'', 300+ easily. He looked like a lineman.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 11:08 AM)
Listed weight is 285 on the Mets website.

That's probably many dozen kegs and couple thousand cheeseburgers ago. He was definitely north of 300 last I saw him pitch.

Interestly enough, MiLB and BR both list Montas as 6'2, 185. Borderline Chris Sale territory.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 11:15 AM)
That's probably many dozen kegs and couple thousand cheeseburgers ago. He was definitely north of 300 last I saw him pitch.

Interestly enough, MiLB and BR both list Montas as 6'2, 185. Borderline Chris Sale territory.

Yeah, I'd bet closer to 285 than 185.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 01:02 AM)
Olacio had an outside chance with a great AFL to put himself in running for major league job.

You can forget that now.

Surkamp/Snodgress and then someone from outside the organization, maybe one guaranteed deal and two waiver claims to fight it out.

I don't think Olacio ever had a chance, even with a good AFL, to break camp with the Sox. They just want to see if he is far enough along and close enough to the show with a high enough ceiling to justify putting him on the 40-man roster. I ultimately think they will.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 10:36 PM)
Anderson went 0/4, K

Bassitt- 1.2 IP, 0H, 0R, 0BB, 4K. Kicking some ass so far!

Snoddy- well, he pitched, looked like s*** and that's all I'm going to say.

Kevan Smith went 1/4, K

When does Bassitt start getting more love around here? Dude has been legit this year. 84.1 innings stretched across the minors, majors, and AFL 2.57 ERA 87/33 K/BB just 2 HRs(none in 29 ML innings).

Couple that with an impressive 2013 season and I believe he was equally impressive when he converted to the rotation in 2012. I'm curious as to why he's not even in some peoples top 10 (and really I'm beginning to question my own 7 or 8 rating).

Is it merely because of talk that he prefers relieving? I hope they let him start before he proves he can't, because so far as a starter, he's been legit.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 25, 2014 -> 05:17 PM)
When does Bassitt start getting more love around here? Dude has been legit this year. 84.1 innings stretched across the minors, majors, and AFL 2.57 ERA 87/33 K/BB just 2 HRs(none in 29 ML innings).

Couple that with an impressive 2013 season and I believe he was equally impressive when he converted to the rotation in 2012. I'm curious as to why he's not even in some peoples top 10 (and really I'm neginning to question my own 7 or 8 rating).

Is it merely because of talk that he prefers relieving? I hope they let him start before he proves he can't, because so far as a starter, he's been legit.

I am hoping he surprises as a reliever and is our closer next year. If Addison Reed can do it I think Bassitt can. Let Putnam and Petricka stay in setup roles.

QUOTE (MnSoxFan @ Oct 25, 2014 -> 12:21 PM)
I am hoping he surprises as a reliever and is our closer next year. If Addison Reed can do it I think Bassitt can. Let Putnam and Petricka stay in setup roles.

I think the Sox will bring in a veteran reliever to close, but I do think Bassitt will be a key member of our pen at some point next year.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 25, 2014 -> 12:17 PM)

Good question. I like him. I hope he stays a starter.

One thing about our pen - we had a few virtual rookies throwing last season and they did okay. They should improve.

This article is old so not sure how many have seen it, but it really showcases Bassitt. His fastball is impressive and can be a real weapon. Regardless of whether its in the pen or as a starter that fastball should earn him a nice a career in the MLB. I agree he's underrated around here. I'd put him somewhere towards the bottom of our top 15.

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/chris-bas...ching-prospect/

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 25, 2014 -> 12:17 PM)

Couple that with an impressive 2013 season and I believe he was equally impressive when he converted to the rotation in 2012. I'm curious as to why he's not even in some peoples top 10 (and really I'm beginning to question my own 7 or 8 rating).

I was really hoping for Bassitt as a starter with what he has to offer given a low to mid 90's FB with movement, a tight slider and a CB that reminds me a alot of Wade Davis' curve, nasty. But if the Sox feel he's better suited as a reliever or don't have the room in the rotation, I'm fine with Bassitt as a reliever but surely prefer him as a starter.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 26, 2014 -> 06:42 AM)
I was really hoping for Bassitt as a starter with what he has to offer given a low to mid 90's FB with movement, a tight slider and a CB that reminds me a alot of Wade Davis' curve, nasty. But if the Sox feel he's better suited as a reliever or don't have the room in the rotation, I'm fine with Bassitt as a reliever but surely prefer him as a starter.

I too was hoping for him to be a starter as well. I remember an article stating that

Bassitt preferred to be a reliever. no matter what the org or what the fans wants, if

he, Bassitt see himself as a reliever. the org doesn't have any choice but to allow

what his makeup dictates.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 27, 2014 -> 09:14 PM)
5 IP 2 hits 1 ER 1 BB 3 Ks for Montas.

So for our AFL all stars so far that's 26.2 15 hits 4 ER 9 BB 29 Ks....0 HRs

that looks good esp if the sox plan to keep him as a starter.

can't wait to see the splits for Bassitt.