Mets/LAD/NYy interested in Alexei, according to Levine

southsider2k5

QUOTE (credezcrew24 @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 06:18 AM)
I wouldn't necessarily say that. The Sox could trade Alexei and couple prospects for a major league ready outfielder like Joc Pederson and then use the money saved from Alexei's deal and sign a middle infielder like Jed Lowrie.

That we can find a replacement SS for this year doesn't mean it isn't a huge downgrade this season. I'd very likely make that deal, but it'd be clear that's a move for 2016.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 08:35 AM)
EDIT: Here's a PERFECT example: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/wilmer-flor...-shortstop-yet/

Notice his footwork in the third GIF down. I dare you to watch that and not laugh.

I took your dare and you won; that last flop got me.

I think the Sox should trade Alexei- he's at peak value, and has almost a perfect contract for the trade market for a player of his age. Now I would insist on a premium; but considering the teams in need, they might get one.

He's really the only valuable trade chit the Sox have (among the players they are willing to move).

As for Gary Sanchez or other Yankees catching prospects, the Yankees had THREE viable prospects this time last year. They still went out and signed McCann to a 4/5 year deal. That told me a lot about those catcher prospects.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 02:27 PM)
I do not want the Sox to trade Alexei. He is the perfect player to anchor our young infield, until his successor can take over.

That may be Anderson, or it might be Rondon. However, neither of them are ready. There are no other guys in the organization who are ready to provide the kind of defense that Ramirez does. All of our other infielders are better suited at 2ND. He also is a solid bat, with a little pop, and a pretty run producer. It makes no sense to trade him, if the Sox are really going to try to contend this season.

nice comment to add Rondon as his his successor. the ideal situation will

be, of course Anderson, but the question mark will be his defense. if it isn't

Anderson, the sox will scramble to find a SS for the future.

Edited by LDF

Have you seen Wilmer Flores play SS? It's actually kind of sad. He looks kind of like Hunter Pence, like he's out of some early N64 baseball game with blocky, polygon graphics. The mildest way to put it is probably that he makes routine plays look very difficult, and difficult plays look like miracles.

He came up this year for a bit and surprisingly kind of held his own. And everyone was impressed, but in the way you're impressed with something that you assumed was total garbage when it turns out to be anything more than that. I think most of Mets fans, at least, are kind of waiting for the other shoe to drop on his SS defense. Like, it's cool that he's been able to defy the odds, but you can't expect to keep making these plays when your feet and arms move the way his feet and arms do.

EDIT: Here's a PERFECT example: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/wilmer-flor...-shortstop-yet/

Notice his footwork in the third GIF down. I dare you to watch that and not laugh.

Whereas Flores appears to be overly dependent upon his arm for his arm strength (as in, he's throwing primarily with his arm and not using his legs to generate strength, velocity, and accuracy on his throws), Semien appeared to be rushing his footwork - his feet were quick, but his arm was lagging behind, and as a result his backfoot would often rush up too soon, leading to his throws sailing a bit.

I still think Semien's role on the club next year will be as a supersub and he'll get a significant amount of playing time to see whether he can stick at the MLB level. I think he will.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 10:09 AM)
Whereas Flores appears to be overly dependent upon his arm for his arm strength (as in, he's throwing primarily with his arm and not using his legs to generate strength, velocity, and accuracy on his throws), Semien appeared to be rushing his footwork - his feet were quick, but his arm was lagging behind, and as a result his backfoot would often rush up too soon, leading to his throws sailing a bit.

I still think Semien's role on the club next year will be as a supersub and he'll get a significant amount of playing time to see whether he can stick at the MLB level. I think he will.

I think that, both in the field and at the plate, Semien is at the point where he needs to learn IN the Major Leagues. I hope he gets the shot you think he shall have.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 04:04 PM)
If we trade Alexei, we need to get at least one top 100 out of it. As far as replacement goes, grab Stephen Drew as a stop gap. No draft pick loss, good defensively at short and honestly I don't really trust 2 young players up the middle when they were both pretty shoddy defensively last season.

1 the sox better do better than 1 - top 100 prospect.

2. Drew forget about it. I would rather deal with it in house and if need

be go fa market in 2016.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 10:14 AM)
1 the sox better do better than 1 - top 100 prospect.

2. Drew forget about it. I would rather deal with it in house and if need

be go fa market in 2016.

Or Asdrubal Cabrera as I forgot he has no draft pick attached to him. Could sign him to a 3-4 year deal then trade him after year 2 or 3?

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 05:24 PM)
Or Asdrubal Cabrera as I forgot he has no draft pick attached to him. Could sign him to a 3-4 year deal then trade him after year 2 or 3?

much better, look at options that doesn't loose a pick.

Have you seen Wilmer Flores play SS? It's actually kind of sad. He looks kind of like Hunter Pence, like he's out of some early N64 baseball game with blocky, polygon graphics. The mildest way to put it is probably that he makes routine plays look very difficult, and difficult plays look like miracles.

He came up this year for a bit and surprisingly kind of held his own. And everyone was impressed, but in the way you're impressed with something that you assumed was total garbage when it turns out to be anything more than that. I think most of Mets fans, at least, are kind of waiting for the other shoe to drop on his SS defense. Like, it's cool that he's been able to defy the odds, but you can't expect to keep making these plays when your feet and arms move the way his feet and arms do.

I admit that I had not seen him play at SS so I clicked the link and needless to say, I'm still laughing. If the Mets don't believe they can straighten Flores out, I can see how the Mets would have potential interest in Alexei.

QUOTE (peavy44 @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 11:09 PM)
I wouldn't i want more for alexei

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 11:13 PM)
I would too.

Wheeler+

Im not so sure a 33 year old Alexei with two years of control is worth a 24 year old Wheeler with 5 years of control. Alexei is passing his prime while Wheeler has his ahead of him still. I think Alexei is a bit over valued as fans sometimes do.

Remember how plenty of people were disappointed with the return on players like Rios, Santiago, Peavy etc? Wait until you guys see the return for Alexei if he is traded.

QUOTE (peavy44 @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 11:49 PM)
We wont get a top prospect for alexei the cubs will with Castro.

They have about equal value.

While Castro is signed for longer, it's not "team friendly" and that can swing both ways. Castro has a contract that has the risk of being a real albatross. Alexei's much older, but cozying up with Castro for 6 years at solid dollars isn't all that comfortable either.

Sox absolutely could get a top prospect for Alexei. Not an elite one, but a top one (30-70 range). Same with Castro.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 8, 2014 -> 01:07 AM)
They have about equal value.

While Castro is signed for longer, it's not "team friendly" and that can swing both ways. Castro has a contract that has the risk of being a real albatross. Alexei's much older, but cozying up with Castro for 6 years at solid dollars isn't all that comfortable either.

Sox absolutely could get a top prospect for Alexei. Not an elite one, but a top one (30-70 range). Same with Castro.

then no zack wheeler

QUOTE (peavy44 @ Nov 8, 2014 -> 01:18 AM)
then no zack wheeler

Not sure what you're getting at.

Wheeler isn't a prospect.

And based on results so far, he isn't elite either. That could change if he could fix his control. Could. If. Nice K numbers though.

But, yea, I don't think they get an elite prospect like Pederson for Alexei.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 8, 2014 -> 01:47 AM)
Not sure what you're getting at.

Wheeler isn't a prospect.

And based on results so far, he isn't elite either. That could change if he could fix his control. Could. If. Nice K numbers though.

But, yea, I don't think they get an elite prospect like Pederson for Alexei.

I take debrom or syndernard

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 11:56 PM)
Im not so sure a 33 year old Alexei with two years of control is worth a 24 year old Wheeler with 5 years of control. Alexei is passing his prime while Wheeler has his ahead of him still. I think Alexei is a bit over valued as fans sometimes do.

Remember how plenty of people were disappointed with the return on players like Rios, Santiago, Peavy etc? Wait until you guys see the return for Alexei if he is traded.

Avy Montas and Rondon wasn't good enough?

Edited by caulfield12

If the White Sox think they are going to compete in the AL Central next season, how do you trade your starting SS? I think he's more valuable to the White Sox IF they are serious about competing next season.

If they decide that they should continue down the road of finding MLB ready talent (Adam Eaton, etc.) like they focused on last season, even knowing that could delay competing for the division in the short-term, then it does make more sense to move him.

I just question a team that's telling me they are on the path to competing, having as many holes as they do.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Nov 8, 2014 -> 10:51 AM)
If the White Sox think they are going to compete in the AL Central next season, how do you trade your starting SS? I think he's more valuable to the White Sox IF they are serious about competing next season.

If they decide that they should continue down the road of finding MLB ready talent (Adam Eaton, etc.) like they focused on last season, even knowing that could delay competing for the division in the short-term, then it does make more sense to move him.

I just question a team that's telling me they are on the path to competing, having as many holes as they do.

The answer is unless they get an insane offer, they won't.