Predict The Next Move

Dunt

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 07:56 PM)
Could be a big name pitcher . The lineup already is better with a full year of Avi and LaRoche so it's not like a huge name is necessary at the remaining positions, just a nice little upgrade would do just fine. A more talented roster , if you will, rather than the stars with the stiffs.

It's the starting rotation that could have the biggest impact name added to it. Besides KW likes being interviewed and coming up with quotable stuff. The Sox really have nothing to trade with unless Hahn dips into the minors and that would be counter-productive to his original plan.

To futhur illustrate my point about more talent in the position players , the Sox hitters had a cumulative 15.5 WAR. Our top players were:

Abreu 5.5

Eaton 5.2

Alexei 3.0

Flowers 2.3

Gillaspie 1.5

Beckham 0.6

Semien 0.5

Sierra 0.5

Others below 0.5 but still in positive territoy were Dunn, DeAza and Phegley.

The Sox had 8 players either mostly in bench roles or injured for most of the season (Garcia) who either didn't provide enough hitting to offset their bad fielding or enough good fielding to offset their bad hitting or were bad at both.

You'll also notice 4 players in postive WAR are no longer with the team (Beckham, DeAza, Dunn and Sierra ).

Melky Cabrera had a 3.1 ,Brock Holt a 2.1, Michael Saunders 2.4 playing half a season . Rasmus had a 0.9 despite a bad season of hitting but enough defense to somewhat overcome it.

I hold out hope that Avi Garcia has a positive WAR in him when he becomes the hitter he should be and improves enough defensively.

Adam LaRoche had a 2.2 which will be hard to duplicate being another year older past his prime and mostly DH'ing but it's a start towards adding more talent to the roster.

I'd feel much more comfortable with the Sox having a 20 WAR amongst the position players which means better defense and better offense.

The Tigers, Royals and Giants all had 20.2- 20.5. A 4 WAR guy who plays good D and hits well would be wonderful but a 3.0 would still be a huge boost to this lineup.

Melky has ranged from 3.1 to 4.7 in 3 of the last 4 years. Saunders best was his 2.4 in his limited playing time last year but is entering his prime. Rasmus had a 4.6 as recently as 2013 and generaly has ranged from 1.5 -3.6 in 4 other years is also entering his prime but we are aware of his problems.

The Sox were outscored by 100 runs last year and only have a "Big Two" in Sale and Quintana. A serious contender needs a "Big 3" at the very least. Rodon could be that player but chances are it won't be 2015.

Another quality SP and closer will have the biggest influence on wether the Sox contend in 2015. Right now the next move(s) need to be high quality pitching.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 05:15 AM)
Boston had a worse record than the Sox did this year so that's not necessarily true. Still, Francisco wouldn't

add a lot to the Sox. He's a left handed hitter who's bad defensively. He's also struck out at a 34.4% clip for

his career, has only a 7.4% walk rate, and he can't hit lefties. He'd have virtually no spot on the Sox roster

and if both Gillaspie and Semien were to get hurt - your #1 and #2 on the 3B depth chart as of this

moment - I'd rather throw Davidson into the fire as there's limited data on him as opposed to Francisco

where we basically know what we have already.

I totally forgot that Semien can play 3b.

here is why I was wondering about J Francisco is in 120+ less at bats, then DV against RHP, he out hit

DV, more 2b and belted 15 hrs. he is also 3+ mil cheaper. now I do not know if his contract stated a

ARB or not. not enuf info.

DV hit RHP not LHP, someone mention that he can platoon with Adam, but Adam also hits RHP

and not too good against LHP but still is way better than DV.

Conor hits RHP but not too good with LHP. so in this stats, it appears that J. Francisco(27) will be the

better backup than DV(25). granted there is always that elusive hope that DV can get better. but

in less than 120 ab's Francisco out produce the hitting and power stats of DV.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 07:21 AM)

here is why I was wondering about J Francisco is in 120+ less at bats, then DV against RHP, he out hit

DV, more 2b and belted 15 hrs. he is also 3+ mil cheaper. now I do not know if his contract stated a

DV hit RHP not LHP, someone mention that he can platoon with Adam, but Adam also hits RHP

Conor hits RHP but not too good with LHP. so in this stats, it appears that J. Francisco(27) will be the

better backup than DV(25). granted there is always that elusive hope that DV can get better. but

Yeah I did a brief look at tanks career splits and post he could platoon. I then backtracked after looking at his ssplits each year and noticed early he tore up lefties but ever since has sucked sadly.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 11:24 PM)
Noesi's too valuable to the Sox because he's insurance to at least hold down the fort at the back end of the rotation while waiting for reinforcements and/or Bassit/Beck to have an impact before Rodon comes up for good.

Boston wouldn't gamble with Noesi as their 5, and it's sort of like the Phil Humber or McHugh situations, where players that have been waived by other teams still aren't deemed trustworthy in terms of giving up much talent.

I wouldn't mind the trade itself, if I knew we were going to have replacements for Noesi, but the trade in and of itself doesn't make sense strategically for where we are at this point in the off-season. If we had Brett Anderson and Hochevar on the roster, it would be more comfortable to deal Noesi, but he still needs another 1/2 year of consistency to build up a bit more value IMO.

No doubt about Noesi's value, especially his six innings he averages in his starts. I'm just trying to think of what the Sox have that Boston might be interested in. With the current shape of the Sox starting rotation, I'd rather have Noesi in the rotation than Holt on the playing field.

Anderson has a nice arm but he hasn't pitched over 100 innings since 2010 so how much can he be counted on? Would definitely take Hochaver though.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 06:21 AM)

Juan Francisco's career average against left handed pitching is .159. I don't even need to look at anythign else. He's not a better option than Viciedo and he doesn't play LF.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 04:50 PM)
Juan Francisco's career average against left handed pitching is .159. I don't even need to look at anythign else. He's not a better option than Viciedo and he doesn't play LF.

taking a look at the big picture, neither does DV.

joking aside, i can see your point.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 04:04 PM)
Sox need a RH starter, or at least would like one.

Phillies GM just came out and said he had a good offer for Cole Hamels in hand, but it was from a team not yet mentioned in the media about him.

I'll go out on a limb and say the Sox may be taking a shot at Hamels.

head-explode.jpg

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 04:04 PM)
Sox need a RH starter, or at least would like one.

Phillies GM just came out and said he had a good offer for Cole Hamels in hand, but it was from a team not yet mentioned in the media about him.

I'll go out on a limb and say the Sox may be taking a shot at Hamels.

Are you aware that Hamels is a lefty???

I have a hard time buying into the Sox making an offer for Hamels. His contract is not the kind the Sox would go after in a pitcher plus I don't see the Sox giving up two or three of their best prospects the Phillies are reportedly after. You're talking Rodon, Anderson and Montas if Amaro gets his way and I don't see the Sox giving up that kind of talent and rightfully so.

If I had to guess, I'd say the Cards land Hamels. They want another pitcher, have plenty of young talent to trade, payroll space and might prefer Hamels' salary over what Lester is going to get. Lester could cost 3-5M more per year.

Boston signs Lester, Cards trade for Hamels.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 11:02 PM)
I have a hard time buying into the Sox making an offer for Hamels. His contract is not the kind the Sox would go after in a pitcher plus I don't see the Sox giving up two or three of their best prospects the Phillies are reportedly after. You're talking Rodon, Anderson and Montas if Amaro gets his way and I don't see the Sox giving up that kind of talent and rightfully so.

If I had to guess, I'd say the Cards land Hamels. They want another pitcher, have plenty of young talent to trade, payroll space and might prefer Hamels' salary over what Lester is going to get. Lester could cost 3-5M more per year.

Boston signs Lester, Cards trade for Hamels.

good post.

QUOTE (Fantl916 @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 05:13 PM)
Super wild guest, one most won't like I'd assume, but here goes:

Boston gets Quintana, low minors prospect or two

Chicago gets Swihart, Owens, Renaudo, Nava

Quintana hold more value to teams like Royals, Marlins, or Padres than Red Sox. The Red Sox wants to land the big fish. Lester or Hamel. The only pitcher they will unload the farm for from us is Sale, who we shouldn't look to trade at this point.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 11:23 PM)
Quintana hold more value to teams like Royals, Marlins, or Padres than Red Sox. The Red Sox wants to land the big fish. Lester or Hamel. The only pitcher they will unload the farm for from us is Sale, who we shouldn't look to trade at this point.

and that brings me up to something I wasn't even thinking about. could all those extra

players Bos been acquiring is to replenish what they will need to make a trade for

Hamels??

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 05:30 PM)
Who knows. But they are far from done. They have plenty of assets in their farm, loaded in outfield, but no real starting pitching. We should expect a blockbuster or two from them at the winter meeting.

Just a guess but I think Boston signs Lester and uses their surplus talent trading for a right handed pitcher to compliment Lester in the rotation. I would say Boston trades for Hamels as well but I think the Cards pull a fast one and land Hamels instead.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 05:49 PM)
Any chance we can get the Red Sox to take Danks? They currently have exactly zero starting pitchers. They have a guy named Rubby in their rotation. Rubby.

Probably not. And Rubby de la Rosa averages 94 with his fastball. He's a talented kid.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 05:49 PM)
Any chance we can get the Red Sox to take Danks? They currently have exactly zero starting pitchers. They have a guy named Rubby in their rotation. Rubby.

Ya never know. Boston's pitching staff is very thin for a team trying to win next year. Even if they signed Lester and traded for Hamels, they would still need pitching badly. IMO, they need to sign/trade for at least three good starters if that staff is going to help Boston become a winner.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 27, 2014 -> 12:45 AM)
Ya never know. Boston's pitching staff is very thin for a team trying to win next year. Even if they signed Lester and traded for Hamels, they would still need pitching badly. IMO, they need to sign/trade for at least three good starters if that staff is going to help Boston become a winner.

not unless we really entice them as the dodgers are trying to entice the sox

to take 1 of their outfielders.