Predict The Next Move

Dunt

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 11:34 AM)
Yeah that deal would be an absolute no brainer for us. $6M is not a lot to take a chance on a bounce back scenario for a fairly young SP with a history of success.

Now if we could get AZ to go along with the proposed trade....

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 12:13 PM)
Do Joe Savery ,Logan Kensing and Juan Diaz count as our next move ? BTW Diaz is a SS http://m.indians.mlb.com/news/article/4194...spring-training from over a year ago but tells you some things about him. Big guy for a SS cannon arm. Precursor of an Alexei trade ? Spent last year in the PCL (AAA) http://mlb.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_...ameType=%27R%27

It really does look like the Sox are loading up at SS for some reason or another. Maybe the Sox have a few trade proposals for Alexei they feel will be difficult to turn away from. The Sox have about five options right now with L.Garcia, Semien, Sanchez, Saladino and Diaz.

Things are getting interesting.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 05:58 PM)
Sorry, but I can't make sense of any 2 dodgers pitchers being the return for Lexi. With the Sox seemingly being in win now mode it wouldn't even make much sense to trade for Urias who is still a few years away.

It would make sense to trade Lexi to fill another hole but Lexi for prospects, unless it's a guy like Joc who is ready to fill the LF hole, would make no sense at all.

you got a point but I was looking at lower prospects that can have high upside. there are

several more in the dodger system. for multi prospects in rtn, the dodgers will not trade

their A+ prospects. however they may willing be entice to go for a 2 for 1 as a package if

the prospect are not their top 7-10 prospects.

I didn't want to start a new thread, so I figured this might be the best one to post in.

The winter meetings are coming up quickly, and the Sox will surely be busy. They've already made a couple decent moves by filling two important holes. One could argue (rightfully so) that Duke and LaRoche don't completely fill those holes, though. Obviously the bullpen needs more, and we'd all like to see one more LH bat. I get concerned, though, when I see a team like the Red Sox make two huge moves in one day, signing two of the more coveted free agents...two free agents that the White Sox have been linked to in some fashion. Now, I think we can all agree that spending $100 million on Sandoval is an overpay, and we're glad our Sox didn't make that move. But, I'm still concerned because I just don't see the White Sox making that one BIG move that gets the attention of the baseball world. I don't care what ESPN thinks; they'll be wetting themselves over the BoSox's new acqusitions for quite a while. But what about getting the attention of other teams? Will the White Sox be making any moves between now and spring training that will make them true contenders for 2015?

I could possibly see the Sox signing Melky, but that seems a little less likely after the signing of LaRoche. There is still the possibility of Alexei being traded in a move that brings Kemp or Ethier to the Sox. That could be big, but it still lacks what the Sox will need to be truly considered contenders.

I guess what I'm getting at is, what moves will get the Sox over the hump for 2015? I'd love to see the Sox shock the baseball world and sign Scherzer. Then have them make a trade that sends Danks' bloated contract somewhere in return for an outfielder. There are a few free agents that could help the Sox right now, but with the Ramirez and Sandoval signings, there's no doubt that the quality free agents are going to cost a lot. There are trade opportunities that could help the Sox right now, but to get what we'd really want it would take Quintana.

Do the White Sox have a hope, a prayer, a chance to compete in 2015 without blowing up the budget and/or trading some young, cost-controlled talent? I want to say yes, but I get more concerned each day.

Edited by pittshoganerkoff

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 10:29 AM)
I didn't want to start a new thread, so I figured this might be the best one to post in.

The winter meetings are coming up quickly, and the Sox will surely be busy. They've already made a couple decent moves by filling two important holes. One could argue (rightfully so) that Duke and LaRoche don't completely fill those holes, though. Obviously the bullpen needs more, and we'd all like to see one more LH bat. I get concerned, though, when I see a team like the Red Sox make two huge moves in one day, signing two of the more coveted free agents...two free agents that the White Sox have been linked to in some fashion. Now, I think we can all agree that spending $100 million on Sandoval is an overpay, and we're glad our Sox didn't make that move. But, I'm still concerned because I just don't see the White Sox making that one BIG move that gets the attention of the baseball world. I don't care what ESPN thinks; they'll be wetting themselves over the BoSox's new acqusitions for quite a while. But what about getting the attention of other teams? Will the White Sox be making any moves between now and spring training that will make them true contenders for 2015?

I could possibly see the Sox signing Melky, but that seems a little less likely after the signing of LaRoche. There is still the possibility of Alexei being traded in a move that brings Kemp or Ethier to the Sox. That could be big, but it still lacks what the Sox will need to be truly considered contenders.

I guess what I'm getting at is, what moves will get the Sox over the hump for 2015? I'd love to see the Sox shock the baseball world and sign Scherzer. Then have them make a trade that sends Danks' bloated contract somewhere in return for an outfielder. There are a few free agents that could help the Sox right now, but with the Ramirez and Sandoval signings, there's no doubt that the quality free agents are going to cost a lot. There are trade opportunities that could help the Sox right now, but to get what we'd really want it would take Quintana.

Do the White Sox have a hope, a prayer, a chance to compete in 2015 without blowing up the budget and/or trading some young, cost-controlled talent? I want to say yes, but I get more concerned each day.

The "biggest" remaining acquisition has to come via trade now, IMO.

The problem with free agency is that you, by definition, pay market rate for your improvements. You cannot afford market rate for 5 or 6 improvements, unfortunately. Think about it this way: we pretty much all like the Duke and LaRoche signings individually, or at least we agree that the Sox got "good value," even if some of us don't like the players. Despite that, those two guys add up to about $18m in new payroll next year. Most of us around here agree that the most the Sox will add is $30-40m. Nearly HALF of that is gone, addressing just two needs.

I've liked the idea of Melky at ~$12m per year, but if you do that now, you're suddenly at $30m and you haven't addressed the rotation at all, and still need AT LEAST on RH reliever. And Tyler Flowers is still your catcher and Phegley is his backup.

It's trade time. Free agency is like sugar in your diet -- must be used sparingly.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 09:49 AM)
The "biggest" remaining acquisition has to come via trade now, IMO.

The problem with free agency is that you, by definition, pay market rate for your improvements. You cannot afford market rate for 5 or 6 improvements, unfortunately. Think about it this way: we pretty much all like the Duke and LaRoche signings individually, or at least we agree that the Sox got "good value," even if some of us don't like the players. Despite that, those two guys add up to about $18m in new payroll next year. Most of us around here agree that the most the Sox will add is $30-40m. Nearly HALF of that is gone, addressing just two needs.

I've liked the idea of Melky at ~$12m per year, but if you do that now, you're suddenly at $30m and you haven't addressed the rotation at all, and still need AT LEAST on RH reliever. And Tyler Flowers is still your catcher and Phegley is his backup.

It's trade time. Free agency is like sugar in your diet -- must be used sparingly.

If I'm the White Sox, my plan for the rest of the offseason is:

1.) Trade Danks for Papelbon - the money lines up pretty well and the Phillies are in a full rebuild, they have no reason to be paying Papelbon when Giles is there. In addition, this also allows them to part with Hamels for prospects to get the rebuild started quickly.

2.) Sign Melky - He is a perfect fit for the 2 hole.

3.) Get Rodon ready to take over 4th spot in rotation by June at the latest.

Would someone please provide a list of the good Left Handed starters in our Division?

Without compiling such a list, my impression is that most of the good southpaws are on the Sox. Therefore, I still think we could use one more middle of the order type left handed bat.

Ethier is still my favorite candidate, as he absolutely rakes vs RHP. I'd love to see him sit on days that a southpaw is starting for the other team, and have him available to pinch hit against

a tough RH reliever, in the late innings.

At any rate, if someone can provide that information, I'd be grateful. While you're at it, if you can list how many good LH relief pitchers there are, that would be interesting as well.

Off hand, I would guess that the number of both LH starters and relievers, is very small.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 11:00 AM)
Would someone please provide a list of the good Left Handed starters in our Division?

Without compiling such a list, my impression is that most of the good southpaws are on the Sox. Therefore, I still think we could use one more middle of the order type left handed bat.

Ethier is still my favorite candidate, as he absolutely rakes vs RHP. I'd love to see him sit on days that a southpaw is starting for the other team, and have him available to pinch hit against

At any rate, if someone can provide that information, I'd be grateful. While you're at it, if you can list how many good LH relief pitchers there are, that would be interesting as well.

Off hand, I would guess that the number of both LH starters and relievers, is very small.

Do you really want Ethier now, after we just added a left handed hitter who rakes against RH pitching but who can't hit lefties?

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 11:13 AM)
Do you really want Ethier now, after we just added a left handed hitter who rakes against RH pitching but who can't hit lefties?

Depends on if we had a right handed backup OF to go with him. If the backup OF is Jordan Danks, there's no solid way to make that work. If we're talking about a Moises Sierra or better, then ok, that could actually work.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 11:00 AM)

I think you've made that list for us several times.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 05:40 PM)
Depends on if we had a right handed backup OF to go with him. If the backup OF is Jordan Danks, there's no solid way to make that work. If we're talking about a Moises Sierra or better, then ok, that could actually work.

if the sox obtain the necessary pieces and if they still want to move

Alexei to the dodgers, ok getting 1 of their outfielders then they

might as well start improving the minor league team. get prospects

who the sox can start to stock up the systems.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 11:13 AM)

The short answer is YES. Look, it’s common wisdom that most hitters hit pitchers from the other side better. Since most of the good pitchers, and in fact, most pitchers, are right handed,

there is an inherent advantage to a lineup consisting of several good left handed hitters.

Therefore, yes, I'd love the Sox to be able to put a lineup on the field, on those typical days when they are facing a RH pitcher, that had Abreu, LaRoche, Garcia and Ethier hitting in the middle of the order.

It's the same reason that I'm a little intrigued by the potential of Juan Diaz, who also seems to hit RHP pretty well, for a good defensive SS. If Alexei is traded, it will be interesting to see

if he figures into the mix, for the SS competition.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 05:13 PM)

this is the main problem with advance stats. one can not manage

a team with advance stats as the main source of scouting rpts. yes

those advance stats do help, esp in identifying weakness or strong

points. but one can not really manage a team that way. anyway, the

team does not enuf room to acquire all the players needed for the

different situations.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 01:39 PM)
I wasn't being sarcastic, I feel like I've read posts from you where you illustrate that there aren't any strong left-handed starters in the Central, except for ours.

No, but you're right about my having commented a few times that most of the good southpaws are on the Sox. Of course, it's a little "tongue-in-cheek".

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 01:58 PM)
No, but you're right about my having commented a few times that most of the good southpaws are on the Sox. Of course, it's a little "tongue-in-cheek".

If there was any "tongue in cheek" to it, it was just because you asked someone to compile a list that I thought you had literally already compiled, haha. I'm sorry.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)
If there was any "tongue in cheek" to it, it was just because you asked someone to compile a list that I thought you had literally already compiled, haha. I'm sorry.

No, you misunderstood me. Tongue-in-cheek, refers to my comment; "we have most of the good lefties". It's obviously not true that we actually have most of them.

It just seems that way. That's what I meant by "tongue-in-cheek".

So, now that we have clarified our intentions with these comments, what would be the best way to statistically examine my hypothesis?

The hypothesis is; There are significantly more right handed pitchers, and they represent the vast majority of the pitches thrown in games.

Therefore, employing hitters who are productive vs right handed pitchers, provides a generally more effective offense.

The practical application of this principle is that, although a hitters composite stats may not be that impressive, if he is very good vs. RH pitching, he is going to be good

in many more at bats, because he naturally doesn't face LH pitchers nearly as often.

Of course, the ideal hitter is one who is good vs. all pitching. However, short of obtaining that ideal, I would prefer hitters who are good vs. RH pitching, over those who are relatively

better vs. LH pitching.

I'd appreciate all constructive comments, as this is a simple, but very important concept. A team is going to lose a lot of games, no matter how good they are.

The objective is to be as effective as possible, for as much of the time as possible. Since RH pitching is by far the most common, it only makes sense that it is advantageous to have a

lineup that is effective vs. that RHP.

This is what has bothered me so much about the Sox having been so conspicuously void of any left handed offensive force in their lineup. Oh sure, we have Eaton and Gillaspie, but I'm

talking about middle of the order hitters. Adam Dunn was a failure, and he was the only viable LH option, for the entire time he was in Chicago.

Perhaps now some of you can understand why I want a player like Ethier to join LaRoche, in the heart of the order.

Even if the team doesn't do that well vs. LHP, it's worth it to have a better chance to win in those majority of at bats and games, when facing RHP.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 02:57 PM)
No, you misunderstood me. Tongue-in-cheek, refers to my comment; "we have most of the good lefties". It's obviously not true that we actually have most of them.

So, now that we have clarified our intentions with these comments, what would be the best way to statistically examine my hypothesis?

The hypothesis is; There are significantly more right handed pitchers, and they represent the vast majority of the pitches thrown in games.

Therefore, employing hitters who are productive vs right handed pitchers, provides a generally more effective offense.

The practical application of this principle is that, although a hitters composite stats may not be that impressive, if he is very good vs. RH pitching, he is going to be good

in many more at bats, because he naturally doesn't face LH pitchers nearly as often.

Of course, the ideal hitter is one who is good vs. all pitching. However, short of obtaining that ideal, I would prefer hitters who are good vs. RH pitching, over those who are relatively

better vs. LH pitching.

I'd appreciate all constructive comments, as this is a simple, but very important concept. A team is going to lose a lot of games, no matter how good they are.

The objective is to be as effective as possible, for as much of the time as possible. Since RH pitching is by far the most common, it only makes sense that it is advantageous to have a

This is what has bothered me so much about the Sox having been so conspicuously void of any left handed offensive force in their lineup. Oh sure, we have Eaton and Gillaspie, but I'm

talking about middle of the order hitters. Adam Dunn was a failure, and he was the only viable LH option, for the entire time he was in Chicago.

Perhaps now some of you can understand why I want a player like Ethier to join LaRoche, in the heart of the order.

Even if the team doesn't do that well vs. LHP, it's worth it to have a better chance to win in those majority of at bats and games, when facing RHP.

I think that you have certainly established the argument that we need left-handed hitters. I think we all agree. I like that LaRoche addressed that, and I think we're fortunate that we're actually in a market where left-handed power is less expensive than right-handed power.

As for Ethier: the idea of him makes sense, but his cost is truly prohibitive. I think he's popular on here for people who assume he'll come with salary relief, but we need to remember that if he does, he'll cost us talent. The only way we get him "free" is if we take the money. To me, there was room for one high-money, one dimensional acquisition for left-handed power, and that went to LaRoche. I think if we eat another $10-15m on Ethier, we're going to find ourselves hard-pressed to make the pitching upgrades we need to make for the team to have a fighting chance at a WC berth in 2015.

All of that said, the next biggest priority behind pitching has GOT to be a left-handed LF, IMO. I just don't know that Ethier is the answer.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 01:57 PM)

better vs. LH pitching.

I think that's how everyone already feels and has always felt though. People look at Eithier and have their worries because of many flags in many areas of his game.

I think baseball teams in general have operated under the principle of "get guys who can mash RHP" forever. Maybe I don't understand your hypothesis.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 03:32 PM)
I think that's how everyone already feels and has always felt though. People look at Eithier and have their worries because of many flags in many areas of his game.

I think baseball teams in general have operated under the principle of "get guys who can mash RHP" forever. Maybe I don't understand your hypothesis.

Yes, you would certainly think that would be the case. However, apparently our organization has not shared our embracement of this principle. We haven't had much left handed,

potent hitting, in quite a while.

I often think that this team was constructed upside down, with almost all Left handed pitchers, and almost all right handed hitters. It has always seemed very perplexing to me.