Predict The Next Move

Dunt

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 08:31 PM)
1) Sit on their asses

2) Add middling bullpen piece

3) Sit on their asses

4) Offer Viciedo arbitration

5) Sit on their asses

6) Decide to trade Alexei after other teams no longer have a need for him

s***... You're such a f***ing clown.

Get off your pot, man.

poop.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say they'll sign a closer. I'm assuming some are out there. I haven't studied the FA lists. Sox want to contend, it's obvious, and nobody on the current roster classifies as a suitable closer.

I'm thinking they'll make a trade. I can't imagine them trading Alexei only because there's literally nobody to fill that spot if Sox hope to be a contender. Nobody. They can't trade with the Dodgers without trading Alexei, so I don't know what they're going to do.

Part of me says Hahn realizes he needs upgrade at 3B and upgrade in OF. You guys better than me can tell me how we get a new 3B and OFielder.

I wouldn't mind Hahn trying to make a Danks and Papelbon swap. Maybe throw in a prospect to coerce them. Have Rodon start the season in the rotation and use the rest of the money on a left fielder. Offseason finished.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 12:03 AM)
I wouldn't mind Hahn trying to make a Danks and Papelbon swap. Maybe throw in a prospect to coerce them. Have Rodon start the season in the rotation and use the rest of the money on a left fielder. Offseason finished.

Even with Rodon, we'll need another starter.

I think another possibility for the Sox next move could Edinson Volquez. He's right handed, can slot in as a #3, looking for a 2-3 year deal at around 9-10M annually. Would leave the Sox with money to spend elsewhere.

If somehow Hahn was able to deal Danks, were looking at a rotation of Sale, Q, Volquez, Rodon and Noesi with Bassitt as the #6 long man in the pen. Not too shabby.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 10:38 PM)
I think another possibility for the Sox next move could Edinson Volquez. He's right handed, can slot in as a #3, looking for a 2-3 year deal at around 9-10M annually. Would leave the Sox with money to spend elsewhere.

If somehow Hahn was able to deal Danks, were looking at a rotation of Sale, Q, Volquez, Rodon and Noesi with Bassitt as the #6 long man in the pen. Not too shabby.

That would be nice indeed.... But a gamble. There might be a better RHSP option for us in the cards.

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 01:43 AM)
The trade of Alexi, to either the Mets or Dodgers.

A trade of Alexei makes no sense after this LaRoche deal, unless Hahn is acquiring another SS from somewhere. The LaRoche deal is a "win now" move. Rebuilding teams shouldn't be signing 35-year-old DHs to $12.5M/year contracts.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 01:45 AM)
A trade of Alexei makes no sense after this LaRoche deal, unless Hahn is acquiring another SS from somewhere. The LaRoche deal is a "win now" move. Rebuilding teams shouldn't be signing 35-year-old DHs to $12.5M/year contracts.

I think it's more of a let's be competitive now move. From a different angle it actually allows the Sox to trade Alexei, keep building, while still fielding a decent team. As they know, this 63 and 73 win stuff is unacceptable to Sox fans, rebuilding or not.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 02:10 AM)
I think it's more of a let's be competitive now move. From a different angle it actually allows the Sox to trade Alexei, keep building, while still fielding a decent team. As they know, this 63 and 73 win stuff is unacceptable to Sox fans, rebuilding or not.

I agree, trading Alexi would make sense depending on the package of prospects the Sox got back. Remember the team does have options that can fill in at short till a guy like Tim Anderson is ready. Alexi trade could bring in ML ready prospects that fill positions of need for Sox.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 01:45 AM)

Honestly, it depends on what you can get back in return for Alexei. If it's a top prospect that is major league ready and fills one of our major holes, say Joc Pederson or Noah Snyndergaard, then I think it still makes sense to deal Alexei and attempt to compete in 2015.

Not saying I think Alexei has that much value, but I don't think the Sox will deal him unless they get that type of talent in return.

Alexei for Kemp and Arruebarrena.

They acquire the last piece of the heart of their lineup, which becomes very potent.

They get their outfielder

They also acquire Alexei's replacement at SS, a slick fielder with offensive upside.

They get a little younger. Kemp is 3 years younger, at a position where age is not as critical. I assume he plays a corner outfield.

They maintain the Cuban connection, to help replace Alexei and the soon to be traded Viciedo.

Edited by Lillian

I just read a few more scouting reports on Arruebarrena, and I'd like to retract my suggestion that he be included in the trade.

Although his defense is rated as a "Top 5 Major League type SS", his approach at the plate will obviously need more time in the Minors.

He sure isn't worth the $5 Million per year, that he costs.

Edited by Lillian