Predict The Next Move

Dunt

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 08:49 AM)
I agree, trading Alexi would make sense depending on the package of prospects the Sox got back. Remember the team does have options that can fill in at short till a guy like Tim Anderson is ready. Alexi trade could bring in ML ready prospects that fill positions of need for Sox.

unless we as fans are expectint too much of a rtn than what will happen in realty. on the

other hand maybe the other teams are not budging from their stand and are offering less,

forcing Hahn to maybe accept less.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 06:38 AM)
I think another possibility for the Sox next move could Edinson Volquez. He's right handed, can slot in as a #3, looking for a 2-3 year deal at around 9-10M annually. Would leave the Sox with money to spend elsewhere.

If somehow Hahn was able to deal Danks, were looking at a rotation of Sale, Q, Volquez, Rodon and Noesi with Bassitt as the #6 long man in the pen. Not too shabby.

that will be a great investment for the money. the only other way without sacrificing too

much would be venture into the FA market and pick up a pitcher regardless of LH or RH.

~cough~ Lester.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 12:38 AM)
I think another possibility for the Sox next move could Edinson Volquez. He's right handed, can slot in as a #3, looking for a 2-3 year deal at around 9-10M annually. Would leave the Sox with money to spend elsewhere.

If somehow Hahn was able to deal Danks, were looking at a rotation of Sale, Q, Volquez, Rodon and Noesi with Bassitt as the #6 long man in the pen. Not too shabby.

I think there are a lot of warning signs with him Until last year he was dreadful for about 5 years. Last year, he had his best career WHIP/ERA by far, yet his K rate was down.

Not convinced he repeats 2014.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 07:17 AM)
that will be a great investment for the money. the only other way without sacrificing too

much would be venture into the FA market and pick up a pitcher regardless of LH or RH.

~cough~ Lester.

Funny you mention Lester. I was thinking earlier about the Q + for Bruce rumor. It could make some sense if the Sox got Bruce and Latos in a trade and then sign Lester to replace Q. A scenario like this makes some sense of the "+" part of the trade. Then were looking at Sale, Lester, Latos, Rodon, Noesi/Bassitt. I'm not advocating trading Q, just trying to understand the rumor and its potential moving parts.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 09:13 AM)
I think there are a lot of warning signs with him Until last year he was dreadful for about 5 years. Last year, he had his best career WHIP/ERA by far, yet his K rate was down.

Not convinced he repeats 2014.

I think your concerns are what hi8is was getting at when he said " gamble ". Completely understandable.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 10:35 PM)
This I agree with.

I'll go crazy and say the Sox trade for Kemp. Kenny always gets his guy.

I think it's going to be Kemp as well. He is an elite bat that would look superb in the number five slot in the lineup. And although he still has five years left to go on his contract, that only takes him to the end of his age 34 year. We are already heavily linked to acquiring one of the Dodger's outfielders, and acquiring Kemp would help make sense of the LaRoche signing. With Kemp's so-so defense these days, he makes perfect sense then as the DH against left handed pitching the next two years while LaRoche is still around, and then maybe he takes on that role full time for the last three years of his contract.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 03:59 PM)
Justin Masterson

not a bad option, I was thinking of him before the season was over. but the outlook

and the direction got chg there.

I don't know if he will be that option now.

same cost I might as well go with Edinson Volquez and with this ballclub there are

sooo many positive players to surround him.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 09:24 PM)
Hahn still hasn't acquired the player they were close to getting at the trade deadline. With that said, I'm going to predict the Chicago duo of Gregorson and Gorzelanny are next.

I also think another reliever is next. Kemp is overkill in the lineup when we still need pitching in the rotation and the pen. Dodgers will try like hell to move Ethier and Crawford before Kemp . They want to keep Kemp. Might take awhile for Dodger to work a deal to get rid of who they want , fielding offers and paying as little of their salary's as they can.

Could be Saunders from Seattle ,could be Melky , If Alexei is traded doubtful its for anything but pitching (Mets )unless Hahn waits it out to see how successful the Dodgers are at thinning their OF mess .

My long shot bet Francisco Rodriguez.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 05:11 AM)
I also think another reliever is next. Kemp is overkill in the lineup when we still need pitching in the rotation and the pen. Dodgers will try like hell to move Ethier and Crawford before Kemp . They want to keep Kemp. Might take awhile for Dodger to work a deal to get rid of who they want , fielding offers and paying as little of their salary's as they can.

Could be Saunders from Seattle ,could be Melky , If Alexei is traded doubtful its for anything but pitching (Mets )unless Hahn waits it out to see how successful the Dodgers are at thinning their OF mess .

I said this before, my long shot is Tim Stauffer rhp, he can spot start, long relief, short relief. if

asked, he prob cut the grass as well. he can do it all.

a great great clubhouse guy.

I was reading this and now i'm convinced that Cahill will be a White Sock in 2015.

If he's healthy, he is still a decent pitcher. Strong GB rate for his career, RH, won't take much to acquire.

It's a gamble, of course, but his 2016 and 2017 years are options that can be declined if he stinks.

QUOTE (daggins @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 04:08 PM)
I was reading this and now i'm convinced that Cahill will be a White Sock in 2015.

If he's healthy, he is still a decent pitcher. Strong GB rate for his career, RH, won't take much to acquire.

It's a gamble, of course, but his 2016 and 2017 years are options that can be declined if he stinks.

i look at this and for the salary ... no way. there are better options in the fa market.

Cahill's best pitch is his sinker, which features excellent downward movement and ranges from 88–92 mph. His sinker is his most frequent offering and is the main reason why he gets so many ground balls. Cahill also has a changeup in the 81–83 mph range, which like his fastball also features excellent downward movement. This is a pitch that he uses frequently against left-handers to get strikeouts. Starting in the 2010 season, Cahill began featuring a 12–6 curveball as well. His curve, which ranges in the 76–80 mph range, has become his main strikeout weapon, and he can get hitters to chase it out of the zone as well as freezing hitters with it in the zone. Cahill also features a rare mid-80s slider against righties, though it is a below average pitch.

In 2012, Cahill added a cutter to his repertoire. Since 2012, he has thrown less fastballs and gone with more of a sinker/cutter comb

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 11:11 PM)

You're probably right, Dodgers would prefer keeping Kemp vs Ethier or Crawford. That's why they are no doubt willing to give Ethier away for next to nothing. But Kemp is a stud. You can put him out in LF and be set for five years. He would hit a ton at the Cell. What I don't know is how important is the feud between Kemp and Puig. Kemp is my choice, even at the cost of giving up Alexei.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 10:01 AM)
You're probably right, Dodgers would prefer keeping Kemp vs Ethier or Crawford. That's why they are no doubt willing to give Ethier away for next to nothing. But Kemp is a stud. You can put him out in LF and be set for five years. He would hit a ton at the Cell. What I don't know is how important is the feud between Kemp and Puig. Kemp is my choice, even at the cost of giving up Alexei.

They may prefer to move Crawford or Ethier but their only chance of ridding some money like they want to do without doing a bad contract swap is hoping someone takes all of Kemp's contract as he is owed a lot still and actually enticing to teams.

All the reports I've read said they would prefer to trade Kemp simply because they should be able to get a good return vs what would most likely be a salary dump/bad contract for bad contract deal when it comes to trading Ethier/Crawford.

I think Kemp gets traded and it wouldn't shock me if it's to the White Sox....It also wouldn't shock me if some other team comes along and offers up better than the Lexi+ package we would have to offer.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 05:01 PM)

I was wanting pitchers from the dodgers and 1 of the 2 whom I thought the dodgers

would give in rtn, we got, Garcia. he is being added to the Cuban factor that the sox

already has.

now, if the dodger still will give the sox more, esp in a trade for Alexei, they really

need to sweeten that deal.

(dang after I finally learned to spell his name)

side note. I am still stunned at their TV deal.

QUOTE (daggins @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 09:08 AM)

The trouble with cahill is that, except or one year, he's been average to poor as a starting pitcher. (one year reputations live on). Now the article that i read said he was good coming out of the pen (I didn't verify the numbers). He + a lot of cash, could probably be had for a C prospect (certainly wouldn't pay any more than that) so it may be worth the risk.

Re his option, there is not a reasonable scenario under which that that option would be exercised. Even if he's a stud reliever next year, 13 million is way too high.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 11:33 AM)
I was wanting pitchers from the dodgers and 1 of the 2 whom I thought the dodgers

would give in rtn, we got, Garcia. he is being added to the Cuban factor that the sox

already has.

now, if the dodger still will give the sox more, esp in a trade for Alexei, they really

Sorry, but I can't make sense of any 2 dodgers pitchers being the return for Lexi. With the Sox seemingly being in win now mode it wouldn't even make much sense to trade for Urias who is still a few years away.

It would make sense to trade Lexi to fill another hole but Lexi for prospects, unless it's a guy like Joc who is ready to fill the LF hole, would make no sense at all.

QUOTE (daggins @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 09:08 AM)

I'm not against the proposed trade. Cahill + 6M for Snoddy? Sign me up. Cahill would only cost the Sox 6M and if the Sox do not like what they get, they buy out Cahill for a mere 300k in 2016. Not that big of a risk and I like the idea much more than Masterson.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 12:27 PM)
I'm not against the proposed trade. Cahill + 6M for Snoddy? Sign me up. Cahill would only cost the Sox 6M and if the Sox do not like what they get, they buy out Cahill for a mere 300k in 2016. Not that big of a risk and I like the idea much more than Masterson.

Yeah that deal would be an absolute no brainer for us. $6M is not a lot to take a chance on a bounce back scenario for a fairly young SP with a history of success.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 08:28 AM)
All the reports I've read said they would prefer to trade Kemp simply because they should be able to get a good return vs what would most likely be a salary dump/bad contract for bad contract deal when it comes to trading Ethier/Crawford.

I think Kemp gets traded and it wouldn't shock me if it's to the White Sox....It also wouldn't shock me if some other team comes along and offers up better than the Lexi+ package we would have to offer.

I don't know man. Losing Hanley and Kemp would really zap their RH power and would (temporarily) leave them with the all LH OF of Pederson, Crawford and Ethier .Van Slyke is RH. Pretty much only Puig and ancient Uribe would have any RH pop.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 10:33 AM)

already has.

I am absolutely okay with moving Alexei for an outfielder with some upside plus a couple of good pitching prospects. Sox want to compete this year, but it's not an "all in" year. The Sox have MI depth; they have absolutely 0 in the outfield. Young pitching should be stockpiled. Through it all, Alexei was only a 3.3 WAR player. My preference (as I've said a few times) would be Van Slyke from the Dodgers. It would have to be a lot of plus in the prospect side to take Crawford and even more for Ethier. Maybe the Mets, but they have nothing in the outfield to send. Or maybe a 3-way with an assortment of teams (Dodgers get Alexei; Mariners get Kemp; Sox get Saunders plus 2 pitching prospects from Mariners).

Edited by GreenSox

Do Joe Savery ,Logan Kensing and Juan Diaz count as our next move ? BTW Diaz is a SS http://m.indians.mlb.com/news/article/4194...spring-training from over a year ago but tells you some things about him. Big guy for a SS cannon arm. Precursor of an Alexei trade ? Spent last year in the PCL (AAA) http://mlb.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_...ameType=%27R%27

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 12:13 PM)
Do Joe Savery ,Logan Kensing and Juan Diaz count as our next move ?

That's a "We apologize, Charlotte, for giving you a woefully awful team last year; we will do better" move.

Juan Diaz might portend a future major league move, as Charlotte has its shortstop and, thus, won't need Sanchez.