Sox agree with George Kottaras on a minor league deal

Heads22

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 03:03 PM)
I dont know why, but I like this move a lot. Hasn't had an OPS+ below 98 since 2010, high walk rate, good BB:K rate. Makes a lot of sense as a back, makes you kind of wonder why they even traded for Brantly as Kottaras seems like a much better backup option. Unless this is an indication that Flowers might be headed elsewhere?

I don't know enough about either. How does the defense compare? This is usually the role of a backup catcher.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 05:42 PM)
So the left handed version of Tyler Flowers huh?

More like if Adam Dunn were a catcher.

14% career walk rate is impressive. .762 OPS in 300 PAs the last 3 years.......but that's on 6 different teams. Why does no one seem to want to keep this guy who is productive?

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 03:54 PM)
More like if Adam Dunn were a catcher.

14% career walk rate is impressive. .762 OPS in 300 PAs the last 3 years.......but that's on 6 different teams. Why does no one seem to want to keep this guy who is productive?

Defense?

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 03:59 PM)
Defense?

Stat Corner has a list of catchers ranked according to their ability to frame pitches. In limited time last year, Kottaras was in the middle of the pack with respect to runs saved: -0.1 for his time in Toronto and -0.3 for his time in St. Louis.

When Kottaras was catching for the Brew crew, the principal catcher, Jonathan Lucroy was (and still is) consistently among the leaders in runs saved over the course of the season. During that same time, Kottaras was usually in the bottom of the list. Since Lucroy and Kottaras were catching the same staff, the discrepancy has to be in Kottaras' inability to stay still behind the dish.

Since Kottaras is signing a minor league deal, it doesn't cost anything to find out if he is a defensive liability going forward.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 06:22 PM)
This is a helluva f***ing move the more I look at it. Sox just got a .5 WAR backup catcher with the upside to be a 2 WAR starter for nothing. Hahn continues to impress. If he sucks are gets hurt screw it, you tried and paid nothing.

I 100% agree with this. If Flowers ever gets hurt, Kottaras is more than capable of being a starter. I love this signing. It's a low risk/high reward type of move.