James Shields

SJB23

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 08:02 PM)
Because he's essentially Felipe paulino. Hasn't pitched since April of 2013. Had Tommy John and another surgery.

Um... he's immensely more talented than Paulino. He has a career 3.67 era or thereabouts.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 07:21 PM)
Um... he's immensely more talented than Paulino. He has a career 3.67 era or thereabouts.

Just because he was more talented before doesn't mean anything now. Hasn't pitched in the majors in 2 years and only has 7 minor league innings in that time span. Probably going to be a while before you see any resemblance of that talent if it's all still there

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 30, 2015 -> 12:32 AM)
You're seriously equating 1.5MM with 20MM?

huh.

then you tell me why they didn't do it, and if you know the answer then why ask the question.

anyway, it was the FO that said, that the sox don't have the money and are on a budget. they also said that they went over the budget...... so i was just simply replying with the same words the sox FO said.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 08:49 PM)
then you tell me why they didn't do it, and if you know the answer then why ask the question.

anyway, it was the FO that said, that the sox don't have the money and are on a budget. they also said that they went over the budget...... so i was just simply replying with the same words the sox FO said.

goodness.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 09:37 PM)
Is that good?

for 1.5MM? yeah it's f***ing good. and to compare Billingsley to Clayton Richard is laughable.

He had a 3.67 before pitching became as dominant as it is right now. He had WARs from 3-5 before he got hurt. We paid 2MM for Beckham. Enough said.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 09:05 PM)
for 1.5MM? yeah it's f***ing good. and to compare Billingsley to Clayton Richard is laughable.

He had a 3.67 before pitching became as dominant as it is right now. He had WARs from 3-5 before he got hurt. We paid 2MM for Beckham. Enough said.

12 innings in 2013, zero innings in 2014, two different surgeries. It's a great lottery ticket, but they may get nothing from him.

Reminds me a little of the Josh Johnson situation coming into 2014.

Or Beachy and Kris Medlen this year.

The problem is that the White Sox are in a vastly different position heading into Spring Training. They can't afford to "experiment" with rehabbing Billingsley in the major league rotation.

If it's a situation like last year with Tommie Hanson in Charlotte, sure, why not? Nothing to lose. But you wouldn't want him to be in the starting rotation pitching every 5 days in April and May. That wouldn't be fair to Billingsley, the fans or the team, to put him in that position.

FWIW, the Royals are HOPING that Medlen can make an impact in replacing Shields this season. Ken Rosenthal reports the Royals have signed right-handed pitcher Kris Medlen to a two-year deal worth $8.5 million with a $10 million mutual option for 2017. Of course, $8.5 million for a pitcher who won't come back until mid-season is a HUGE risk for KC. They already went 2 years and $20 million on Edinson Volquez, so basically they're betting those two COMBINED will outperform Shields in 2015.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-colum...cle8162523.html

Article on unlikelihood of Shields going back to KC, complete silence from his agent.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 30, 2015 -> 03:24 AM)
Reminds me a little of the Josh Johnson situation coming into 2014.

Or Beachy and Kris Medlen this year.

The problem is that the White Sox are in a vastly different position heading into Spring Training. They can't afford to "experiment" with rehabbing Billingsley in the major league rotation.

If it's a situation like last year with Tommie Hanson in Charlotte, sure, why not? Nothing to lose. But you wouldn't want him to be in the starting rotation pitching every 5 days in April and May. That wouldn't be fair to Billingsley, the fans or the team, to put him in that position.

FWIW, the Royals are HOPING that Medlen can make an impact in replacing Shields this season. Ken Rosenthal reports the Royals have signed right-handed pitcher Kris Medlen to a two-year deal worth $8.5 million with a $10 million mutual option for 2017. Of course, $8.5 million for a pitcher who won't come back until mid-season is a HUGE risk for KC. They already went 2 years and $20 million on Edinson Volquez, so basically they're betting those two COMBINED will outperform Shields in 2015.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-colum...cle8162523.html

Article on unlikelihood of Shields going back to KC, complete silence from his agent.

extremely good logic.... but a question

why could they start him in the minors to stretch the arm out and get some innings in.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 06:16 PM)
Ok not "heavily" overrated, but he's overrated in the same way Shark is. They're very, very similar pitchers. You're right though, that Shields has been better than I remembered. I missed a lot of last season being away on a ship :P

EDIT: In what world is he a 4 WAR pitcher? BP never has him above 3.0 and that was his sophomore season

FanGraphs. I don't know how BP calculates their WAR off hand but Shields has been 4.5, 3.9, 4.5, and 3.7 the last 4 seasons. That works out to over 4 per season, but a drop off last year is concerning. Also dropping off to 1.6 seems unrealistic to me. That's an incredibly steep drop off for a player who hasn't lost velocity and is coming off 4 really good seasons.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 30, 2015 -> 01:53 AM)
FanGraphs. I don't know how BP calculates their WAR off hand but Shields has been 4.5, 3.9, 4.5, and 3.7 the last 4 seasons. That works out to over 4 per season, but a drop off last year is concerning. Also dropping off to 1.6 seems unrealistic to me. That's an incredibly steep drop off for a player who hasn't lost velocity and is coming off 4 really good seasons.

Fangraphs WARs are usually higher than BP or Baseball Reference, which had Shields at mid to high 2s the last few years. I... tend... to go with the more conservative ones, but it's personal preference. I'm sure Shields' projections on FG are better than 1.6. We'll see though.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 09:05 PM)

Well I asked because James Shields' career ERA is 3.72 and you said he is a bad pitcher.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jan 30, 2015 -> 07:34 AM)
Well I asked because James Shields' career ERA is 3.72 and you said he is a bad pitcher.

ahhh you got to take what he said with a grain of salt and a little tequila .... he likes to piss in

people cheerios.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jan 30, 2015 -> 10:24 AM)
Shields has pitched, Chad has not.

Shields costs the same as 40 minimum-salaried players. Billingsley costs the same as 3.

There's literally no reason to compare the two, and definitely no reason to draw any meaningful conclusion from doing so.

Oh, and Chad is three years younger.

Edited by Reddy

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 30, 2015 -> 09:27 AM)
Shields costs the same as 40 minimum-salaried players. Billingsley costs the same as 3.

There's literally no reason to compare the two, and definitely no reason to draw any meaningful conclusion from doing so.

Bro, I was simply letting you know what he was trying to tell you.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 30, 2015 -> 09:27 AM)

You compared the salaries yourself. I am just comparing them because one of them will be guaranteed a spot in a MLB rotation in 2015 and one might start the year in the minors. You are the one acting like the Phillies are guaranteed 2008-2012 Billingsley for $1.5 million.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 30, 2015 -> 10:43 AM)
You compared the salaries yourself. I am just comparing them because one of them will be guaranteed a spot in a MLB rotation in 2015 and one might start the year in the minors. You are the one acting like the Phillies are guaranteed 2008-2012 Billingsley for $1.5 million.

Never did I say that. I'm simply saying that it's a great risk to take. Even with a 4 era he's insanely valuable at that price. Much better than Danks or Noesi, and if he misses, he misses, and you haven't paid much. Plus we have Herm and Coop, the best in the biz.