James Shields

SJB23

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Feb 3, 2015 -> 05:29 PM)
2/40M sounds pretty juicy actually. Even less maybe?

Why would he take $40 million when he can get likely get $70 million over 4 years? He's risking a lot by taking a short term contract like that.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Feb 3, 2015 -> 05:32 PM)
He's also a fly ball pitcher. Not what the Sox look for.

44.7% groundball rate for his career and a career 1.25 GB/FB. He's not an extreme ground ball pitcher, but he's never had a season where he's thrown more flyballs than groundballs. He'd be OK at USCF. It's just not a move that makes fiscal sense.

QUOTE (AlSoxfan @ Feb 3, 2015 -> 11:26 AM)
I think for 3/50 I would too. Question is would Hahn or JR for that matter? To be honest for that kinda contract I think he'd have a line of GM's at his door.

The reality is this late in the game, teams don't have the room in their budgets than they did at the beginning of the off-season, which is why Shields might ultimately not have the suitors he once did. $ available today aren't the same so the market has likely shrunk for Shields vs. grow. It could open back up if he decides he is going to go more short-term in nature, etc.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 4, 2015 -> 01:12 AM)
The reality is this late in the game, teams don't have the room in their budgets than they did at the beginning of the off-season, which is why Shields might ultimately not have the suitors he once did. $ available today aren't the same so the market has likely shrunk for Shields vs. grow. It could open back up if he decides he is going to go more short-term in nature, etc.

if the sox enters a bid, no matter what the yrs or money is, i think several teams will enter a counter bid, esp det. they will not let the sox get him. not if they have playoff ambitions.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Feb 3, 2015 -> 05:40 PM)
Hahn: "We are still kicking the tires on a few smaller things ...

https://twitter.com/scottmerkin/status/562783494079004674

More Hahn: "... But I wouldn’t anticipate there being any alterations between now and the start of camp." Don't look for Shields/CWS

https://twitter.com/scottmerkin/status/562783602933764096

I seen to recall similar statements prior to signing Melky.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 3, 2015 -> 01:21 PM)
But so would the Yankees or Angels or Red Sox or Blue Jays or Tigers or Diamondbacks or any number of other teams. Are you willing to go 3/$60? Or 4/$72? I think someone is going to realize that he could add a lot to their team and give him that kind of contract.

I'm not saying he will sign for 3/$50M I was referring to the "reports" and rumors about $50M being a possible price tag. I wouldn't even sneeze at that offer, I would totally do that deal. 3 yrs/$60, maybe. 3 yrs/$70M, no. I think someone will give him a 4th though, and cinch the deal.

I'll predict 4 yrs/$80M to the Tigers.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Feb 4, 2015 -> 08:40 AM)
I'll guess Shields gets 3/54M with a 4th year option that vests based upon IP making it a potential 4/72M. I think the Yanks come in a sign Shields.

That contract would be a steal. I had been wonder if anyone might be tempted to do something like 3/66M — short years but high AAV — but I think he'll ultimately get that 4/80M from the Yanks, Cards or Tigers.

The Padres seem to want a frontline starter; they should give up trying to pry Hamels from crazy Amaro and just plunk down the bucks for Shields — he'd fit well in that stadium anyway.

QUOTE (asindc @ Feb 4, 2015 -> 09:29 AM)
I'm not as high on Shields as some others here seem to be. At his best he was a #2.5-#3 starter and is 33 years old. He wants solid #2-#1.5 starter money. I'll pass.

No, he is at least a 2-1.5 right now. He might not be come 2016 though.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Feb 4, 2015 -> 08:40 AM)
I'll guess Shields gets 3/54M with a 4th year option that vests based upon IP making it a potential 4/72M. I think the Yanks come in a sign Shields.

This, but it's said he has a strong preference for a west coast team, and I could see the Angels swooping in and making this deal.

With all of the other moves the Padres made this off-season, they should get involved to beef up that rotation, but who knows.

Then there's always the Dodgers.

QUOTE (asindc @ Feb 4, 2015 -> 10:29 AM)
I'm not as high on Shields as some others here seem to be. At his best he was a #2.5-#3 starter and is 33 years old. He wants solid #2-#1.5 starter money. I'll pass.

I'm with you, and have been for months.

That said, I'd take him in a heartbeat at $15m per for 3 years. The problem is that so would everyone else, and so he isn't going to sign that.

I still think he's got a shot at coming in at $90m+

QUOTE (PorkChopExpress @ Feb 4, 2015 -> 10:06 AM)
This, but it's said he has a strong preference for a west coast team, and I could see the Angels swooping in and making this deal.

With all of the other moves the Padres made this off-season, they should get involved to beef up that rotation, but who knows.

Then there's always the Dodgers.

I just read that on mlbtr about Shields west coast preference. If true, so much for my Yankees prediction. :P

If the Padres ante up the money, that spacious ballpark combined with all their off season moves could be very tantalizing to Shields.

The Dodgers could undoubtedly make sense too, I hadn't really considered them but they have the money for Shields and an open spot in the rotation.

This is going to be interesting to follow over the next few days.

I just read that on mlbtr about Shields west coast preference. If true, so much for my Yankees prediction. :P

If the Padres ante up the money, that spacious ballpark combined with all their off season moves could be very tantalizing to Shields.

The Dodgers could undoubtedly make sense too, I hadn't really considered them but they have the money for Shields and an open spot in the rotation.

This is going to be interesting to follow over the next few days.

Dodgers don't have an open spot. Kershaw, Greinke, Ryu, McCarthy, and Anderson 1/10 mill deal)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 4, 2015 -> 01:44 PM)
Comcast SportsNet ‏@CSNChicago 5h5 hours ago

James Shields to the #WhiteSox? Ain’t happening, explains @CSNHayesrl="http://bit.ly/1F3Yccw"]http://bit.ly/1F3Yccw[/url]

Can't really believe everything a Gm says. I still consider us a dark horse candidate. Maybe the smaller moves are Beachy and possibly guys like Joe Thatcher on minor league deals just to have stashed in the minors