James Shields

SJB23

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 05:37 PM)
but none ready to carry a heavy workload let alone pitch extremely well in a playoff hunt.

Shields is heavily overrated and not WORTH the money. Why do you want us to take on another bad contract? We've already got Danks.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 11:40 PM)
Shields is heavily overrated and not WORTH the money. Why do you want us to take on another bad contract? We've already got Danks.

i agree with you, but considering he is the last somewhat good sp, he is the only option..... but not more than 3 yrs.

can you envision, come wild card series, Sale has pitched 200 innings as well as Q and Jeff S. you going to need to run out a pitcher for a tie game. Rodon has pitched 150 + innings.... up next, Beck, Erik Johnson, Hector.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 05:43 PM)
i agree with you, but considering he is the last somewhat good sp, he is the only option..... but not more than 3 yrs.

can you envision, come wild card series, Sale has pitched 200 innings as well as Q and Jeff S. you going to need to run out a pitcher for a tie game. Rodon has pitched 150 + innings.... up next, Beck, Erik Johnson, Hector.

Um... the wild card series is 1 game. And the Giants just won the WS with 3 pitchers

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 04:40 PM)

Yup, this right here. ^^

If the Sox did not have the contract of Danks, I can see a much more realistic case to be made for Shields but even then I would not go beyond 3 years guaranteed and MAYBE a fourth year team option. Too many if's and the Sox still have Danks so Shields is just not realistic, at all.

No chance JR goes after a 33 year starting pitcher that's looking for 4-5 years guaranteed. Accept it Sox fans.

Edited by StRoostifer

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 10:45 PM)
Um... the wild card series is 1 game. And the Giants just won the WS with 3 pitchers

ok you got me, i was typing to fast, i meant the sox made it in as a wild card. during a playoff series.

btw, last yr is one thing, we are talking about a all different situation.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 04:43 PM)

So Hahn is going to pay a guy like Shields 100 mil going under the assumed hypothetical situation that none of our top 3 will be able to pitch in a deciding WC game?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 06:13 PM)
I can think of about one hundred million hang ups personally.

exactly. Shields wants a long term contract of at least $100M. He is up their in age. Make it like 3 or 4 years max at about $14M and it's more realistic. Not sure we have that extra money anyway and we are sitting pretty darn good pitching wise right now

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 11:15 PM)
So Hahn is going to pay a guy like Shields 100 mil going under the assumed hypothetical situation that none of our top 3 will be able to pitch in a deciding WC game?

i never said 100 for 4 or more yrs, and i am not a fan of shields. but with nothing out there, and again not for 4 or more yrs, yes. the sox screw this up when they had a chance to do more, in the beginning of the fa season.

Some of the stuff in here is crazy

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 04:40 PM)

Heavily overrated? The guy's been a 4 WAR pitcher each of the last 4 years and I don't see him suddenly falling off a cliff at this point. I imagine he'll be a good starter each of the next 2 years and a league average starter the 2 years after that. The 5th year could get ugly. If we're using projections to determine win totals, we have to use projections to figure that James Shields isn't going to turn into junk because he's 33.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 05:16 PM)
exactly. Shields wants a long term contract of at least $100M. He is up their in age. Make it like 3 or 4 years max at about $14M and it's more realistic. Not sure we have that extra money anyway and we are sitting pretty darn good pitching wise right now

Ervin Santana signed a 4 year contract worth $14 million. James Shields is a much better pitcher than Ervin Santana.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 05:27 PM)
i never said 100 for 4 or more yrs, and i am not a fan of shields. but with nothing out there, and again not for 4 or more yrs, yes. the sox screw this up when they had a chance to do more, in the beginning of the fa season.

Again, you just presented a scenario where Shields is needed in a 5 game series presuming that the top 3 pitchers can't pitch. You really think this hypothetical is worth throwing a terrible contract at Shields?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 11:31 PM)
Again, you just presented a scenario where Shields is needed in a 5 game series presuming that the top 3 pitchers can't pitch. You really think this hypothetical is worth throwing a terrible contract at Shields?

a very good point, but let think of it this way. his value is to help get the team there, give ample rest to the 3 top sp's bridge the season while helping prepare the team for the playoff. this team as built, can do alot of special things come playoff. but the team needs to get there and healthy.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 05:33 PM)
a very good point, but let think of it this way. his value is to help get the team there, give ample rest to the 3 top sp's bridge the season while helping prepare the team for the playoff. this team as built, can do alot of special things come playoff. but the team needs to get there and healthy.

The money needed for this insurance policy is just not worth it. I would rather the insurance policy be Rodon or Montas if Noesi/Danks fail

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 11:38 PM)
The money needed for this insurance policy is just not worth it. I would rather the insurance policy be Rodon or Montas if Noesi/Danks fail

let me ask you, are we still talking about shields??? i am kind of lose here.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 05:53 PM)
let me ask you, are we still talking about shields??? i am kind of lose here.

Yes. You are presenting Shields as a insurance policy in case the top three need a breather. Shields paycheck (theoretical paycheck) is probably going to be somewhere between 14 and 20 mil. No I don't think he will get 20 mil per, but you never know.

Why would you want to pay someone that kind of money just to give your top three a breather late in the season? That just doesn't make sense

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 11:59 PM)
Yes. You are presenting Shields as a insurance policy in case the top three need a breather. Shields paycheck (theoretical paycheck) is probably going to be somewhere between 14 and 20 mil. No I don't think he will get 20 mil per, but you never know.

Why would you want to pay someone that kind of money just to give your top three a breather late in the season? That just doesn't make sense

thanks for correcting my confusion. shield paycheck is the unknown. i will admit that. but i think without giving up prospects. so let me ask this, if shields can bridge as the example i stated, what would you be willing to pay to get to that position where we are in the playoff with a chance to go further.

remember 1 thing, they had shields pitching in what part of the rotation??? can you imagine pitching him #4 or 5 and have better coaching control of the situation???

Who would you want pitching on the White Sox, Shields, Danks or Noesi? If the White Sox are serious about contending in 2015 Shields is a no brainer. The White Sox will not make the 2015 Playoffs with a bottom of the rotation of Noesi and Danks.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Jan 30, 2015 -> 12:09 AM)
Who would you want pitching on the White Sox, Shields, Danks or Noesi? If the White Sox are serious about contending in 2015 Shields is a no brainer. The White Sox will not make the 2015 Playoffs with a bottom of the rotation of Noesi and Danks.

the sox needs pitching, we can't be choosy in pitching. but this whole thing is moot. remember... the sox do not have the money nor have the budget for this.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 06:28 PM)
Some of the stuff in here is crazy

Heavily overrated? The guy's been a 4 WAR pitcher each of the last 4 years and I don't see him suddenly falling off a cliff at this point. I imagine he'll be a good starter each of the next 2 years and a league average starter the 2 years after that. The 5th year could get ugly. If we're using projections to determine win totals, we have to use projections to figure that James Shields isn't going to turn into junk because he's 33.

Ervin Santana signed a 4 year contract worth $14 million. James Shields is a much better pitcher than Ervin Santana.

Ok not "heavily" overrated, but he's overrated in the same way Shark is. They're very, very similar pitchers. You're right though, that Shields has been better than I remembered. I missed a lot of last season being away on a ship :P

EDIT: In what world is he a 4 WAR pitcher? BP never has him above 3.0 and that was his sophomore season

Edited by Reddy