James Shields

SJB23

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 5, 2015 -> 12:50 PM)
Between Cueto, Porcello, Greinke (most likely), Zimmermann, Fister, Price, Latos and Samardzija I feel there are too many arms available and not enough teams willing to throw huge bucks around now. i feel like Samardzija (knowing who else is out there next winter) may be wise to take a good extension from us now.

A couple of those guys will probably be off the market before reaching it.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Stev-o @ Feb 5, 2015 -> 10:33 AM)
There is WAY too much Cubs love on this site. Book this...they will NOT win 75 games this season. Too many question marks.

No, its people giving some credit where its due. The Cubs DO have plenty of young talent and they have Lester/ Arrieta at the front of their rotation which, for the cubs, is a good place to start considering where they are coming from. I dislike the cubs as much as anyone but a front three of Lester, Shields and Arrieta is pretty formidable and especially in the NL.

I agree they have question marks but to proclaim "book this...they will NOT win 75 games this season" is juuuust a bit premature since the off season is not over and their young talent has yet to show what they can do in 2015. All youre doing is displaying your blind hatered and, should the cubs perform better than you expect, setting yourself up for backlash with your proclamation should the cubs win more than 75 games.

Personally, I can give a toss what the cubs do but since this thread is about Shields and the cubs are supposedly in on him, expect some comments about the possibility.

Were all here to discuss some baseball.

i can always say this, b/c it is the truth. i hate, i despise that pos team in the northside, but even i can admit, that this is the 2 time in 20 yrs that they have a great minor system that i am envious of.

the problem with i am saying is, it is the truth.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 5, 2015 -> 06:50 PM)
Between Cueto, Porcello, Greinke (most likely), Zimmermann, Fister, Price, Latos and Samardzija I feel there are too many arms available and not enough teams willing to throw huge bucks around now. i feel like Samardzija (knowing who else is out there next winter) may be wise to take a good extension from us now.

my major biitch is next winter is too late.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 5, 2015 -> 10:49 AM)
I'll take that bet. They won 73 last year and will add Jon Lester, Jason Hammel, Miguel Montero, Dexter Fowler, and Kris Bryant (nevermind full seasons from Javier Baez and Jorge Soler too). I have them pegged as about a .500 team, but could definitely see them in the same 85 range as I currently have the Sox.

I'm thinking .500 is a pretty good guesstimate as well. Their improvements should be good enough to net them more than a win or two over last season.

The Sox fan in me wants to see the cubs lose as many games as possible but, putting my dislike of the cubs aside, I must admit they likely improve upon last season.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 5, 2015 -> 11:03 AM)
I treat the Cubs like any other team: if they have prospects/players I like, why can't I like them? Because they're with the Cubs? To me, liking certain players on the cubs is like saying I like certain players on say the Rays or some random team. I don't hate everything they do just because they're the cubs. They only factor into 6 games of our season (actually more if you factor in playing other AL central reams this year). I want them to lose 6 games to us and win every other game against the AL central. Cubs win 60 games? Great. Who cares. Cubs wins 90 games? Again. Great. Who cares.

This is 'Merica and you are free to like whatever players you want, even if they play on the north side. ;)

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 5, 2015 -> 11:50 AM)

I agree with you in one sense because as well as Samardjiza has pitched, he was the "Ace" of a bad staff and a bad team for the majority of it and he has had a couple of rough 2nd halves aside from last year so in one sense it would be wise to sign an extension that will guarantee him around $100 mil (he turned down 5/$85 mil from the Cubs). But on the other hand baseball is the one sport without a salary cap and most good players take advantage of that. Samardjiza has been pretty adamant for a while now about testing the market. I think if the offers are all similar and the Sox can come close to matching then he'll stay but all it takes is one team to take that bidding to another level.

All that being said I trust Rick Hahn will find a suitable replacement for Shark if the Sox can't resign him after this year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 5, 2015 -> 10:49 AM)
I'll take that bet. They won 73 last year and will add Jon Lester, Jason Hammel, Miguel Montero, Dexter Fowler, and Kris Bryant (nevermind full seasons from Javier Baez and Jorge Soler too). I have them pegged as about a .500 team, but could definitely see them in the same 85 range as I currently have the Sox.

That is one of my pet peeves this offseason when I see anyone make a list of all the things the Cubs added that will make them better in 2015, and I see Jason Hammel included.

He was ON the Cubs last season. He pitched 108 innings for them. He already contributed, and quite highly, to their 73 wins. I don't really considering that as a reason why they will be better in 2015 because it was an asset that already figured in to 2014. It's just one of the things that bugs me when I see "Their rotation is much improved, they added Lester and Hammel to go along with Arrieta!", ehhh, not really.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Feb 5, 2015 -> 02:39 PM)
That is one of my pet peeves this offseason when I see anyone make a list of all the things the Cubs added that will make them better in 2015, and I see Jason Hammel included.

He was ON the Cubs last season. He pitched 108 innings for them. He already contributed, and quite highly, to their 73 wins. I don't really considering that as a reason why they will be better in 2015 because it was an asset that already figured in to 2014. It's just one of the things that bugs me when I see "Their rotation is much improved, they added Lester and Hammel to go along with Arrieta!", ehhh, not really.

And yet he still wasn't on the team at the end of last year. If they get him for a full season - and given the multi-year nature of his contract, he will be - then they have added him to a team that didn't have him.

Despite the fact that Gordon Beckham was on the Sox team for almost the entirety of the season last year, I consider him an addition to the Sox club.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Feb 5, 2015 -> 02:39 PM)

I agree with you 100%.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Feb 5, 2015 -> 12:03 PM)
No, its people giving some credit where its due. The Cubs DO have plenty of young talent and they have Lester/ Arrieta at the front of their rotation which, for the cubs, is a good place to start considering where they are coming from. I dislike the cubs as much as anyone but a front three of Lester, Shields and Arrieta is pretty formidable and especially in the NL.

I agree they have question marks but to proclaim "book this...they will NOT win 75 games this season" is juuuust a bit premature since the off season is not over and their young talent has yet to show what they can do in 2015. All youre doing is displaying your blind hatered and, should the cubs perform better than you expect, setting yourself up for backlash with your proclamation should the cubs win more than 75 games.

Personally, I can give a toss what the cubs do but since this thread is about Shields and the cubs are supposedly in on him, expect some comments about the possibility.

Were all here to discuss some baseball.

The Cubs will lead MLB in striking out next year. They have a lot of "free swingers" on that team. IMO, teams that don't make a lot of contact, don't win consistently.

BTW, I also think that their bullpen is WAYYY overrated.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Feb 5, 2015 -> 04:38 PM)
Shields is a poor investment based off his recent performance and age.

Fixed that for you.

Over his career, save one year, James Shields has been a very good starter. He is not a good investment because he is 33 years old and solely for that reason.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 5, 2015 -> 05:41 PM)
Lol that was my reaction. I haven't seen one "expert" rave about their pen yet.

Neither have I.

I find it comical how he hates the cubs, complains about how there's cub love on this board, only to carry on a conversation about the cubs. :lol:

Okay, back to Shields. The Dodgers are stacked, it would seem the Giants are set, latest reports say the Marlins aren't very likely (surprise), the Padres do not seem all that interested and the same for the Sox and Cards. So who's left?

Yankees, Tigers, Cubs, ? .

I'll stick with the Yankees I guess but at this point, who knows?

I'm sure the Cubs have a lot of young talent and will be good shortly but one thing to remember is that they had a number of career years last year, and not just from young players. The career years would include Jason Hammel and some journeyman outfielder who had never done much of anything sported a 800 OPS. They got career best production from the 3B they sent to Houston and from several bullpen pitchers as well.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Feb 5, 2015 -> 06:27 PM)
He wasn't exactly a stud in this last postseason.

If I beat him up all throughout little leauge and high school -- he's not that good.

Or I shouldn't have given up baseball.

Thanks, hi8is.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 6, 2015 -> 03:53 AM)
Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale 2m2 minutes ago

The #Padres, where James Shields makes his home, have to be considered favorites for his services. We will soon find out if they get him.

Makes too much sense. If that's his home why wouldn't he sign there? He's got all the money he'll ever need. Sign his 4 year 60 million dollar deal and be done with it.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 6, 2015 -> 01:16 AM)
Makes too much sense. If that's his home why wouldn't he sign there? He's got all the money he'll ever need. Sign his 4 year 60 million dollar deal and be done with it.

While I don't blame any player for taking the biggest offer. I am with you. Unless there is a significant difference with contracts, this is pretty much a no brainer.

People gave ARod grief for taking the highest offer when he was a free agent. But when it's $100 million higher, I don't see how you criticize a guy from walking away from that.