Baseball Commish Manfred open to discussing length of schedule

thegringokid

Would it be beneficial, negative for our pitchers/hitters? Thoughts?

Link: http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12370390...re-was-interest

In his first days as Major League Baseball commissioner, Rob Manfred has been open to considering making changes to help make the sport more marketable.

Commissioner Rob Manfred said he'd be willing to consider a shorter, 154-game season if there was enough interest for it.

Proving that nothing is off the table, Manfred said Monday that he would entertain shortening the regular season if there was interest in doing so.

"I don't think length of season is a topic that can't ever be discussed," Manfred told ESPN.com. "I don't think it would be impossible to go back to 154 [games]."

Manfred said discussion of season length is not at the top of his mind, adding that insiders he talks to don't think having a season of 162 games is something that needs to be dealt with anytime soon. Manfred said concerns over the pace of the game are taking the priority. Last week, MLB implemented new rules for the upcoming season that seek to reduce the average time of a game, which clocked in at 3 hours, 2 minutes in 2014.

The American League moved from a season of 154 games to 162 games in 1961; the National League followed a year later.

"We already have some of our record books which reflect a 154-game season and obviously some of it reflects a 162-game season," Manfred said. "So there's some natural flexibility there. But if anyone suggests to go to something like 110 games, then there's a real problem. That will throw all our numbers out of whack."

Last year, fewer than 9 percent of position players played in at least 150 games, the lowest percentage in major league history, according to research by Stats LLC and published Monday by the Wall Street Journal.

Any change to the length of the season would have to be collectively bargained with the Major League Baseball Players Association since it affects the working conditions of the players and could change the number of service days, currently 183, in a season.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 24, 2015 -> 11:39 AM)
Because of tradition, weather, length of the postseason. They should be able to finish a baseball season before the month of Thanksgiving and the first snow.

I don't understand why that's self-evidently good, though. Weather is about the only one that makes sense to me.

As the article states, most fulltime players averaged 150 games a year so there is that. And cutting the number of starts from an average of 32-33 to 30-31 might reduce the load on SP's? Dunno, just thinking of obvious benefits. But if the cut in games means a cut in regular season revenue then I see that as a non-starter, unless they expand playoffs by one round?? Think that make even less sense doesn't it?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 24, 2015 -> 08:30 AM)
I think the only way I could get behind a shorter season is if it also coincided with more playoff games. I don't want less baseball being played.

I think that is what I would propose, shortening the season but expanding the post-season. The problem with a long season is, that you lose a lot of relevance in numerous markets late in the year. Having more teams still in the thick of things makes the races much more interesting (and to a large extent, the additional wild card team has helped that...although I think the 1 game playoff probably should be expanded, although I understand the concept of making it a winner take all, I just don't love that format in baseball).

QUOTE (thegringokid @ Feb 24, 2015 -> 10:46 AM)
As the article states, most fulltime players averaged 150 games a year so there is that. And cutting the number of starts from an average of 32-33 to 30-31 might reduce the load on SP's? Dunno, just thinking of obvious benefits. But if the cut in games means a cut in regular season revenue then I see that as a non-starter, unless they expand playoffs by one round?? Think that make even less sense doesn't it?

They don't have to expand the number of playoff rounds, just the amount of games in each playoff series. Baseball playoffs are always going to be like a crapshoot, but this would make each round at least a little more representative and "fair." MLB could stand the reduced revenue of losing on week of the regular season if it meant more relevant games, healthier players and better playoffs. The sport becomes better overall in every way.

I'd start the season on a Thursday, and end the season on a Wednesday night with 15 games being played simultaneously.

Postseason:

Play-In Wildcard Game

Division Series and LCS both best-of-5, and World Series best-of-7

Game 7 of the World Series 28 days after the end of the season.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 24, 2015 -> 10:57 AM)
I think that is what I would propose, shortening the season but expanding the post-season. The problem with a long season is, that you lose a lot of relevance in numerous markets late in the year. Having more teams still in the thick of things makes the races much more interesting (and to a large extent, the additional wild card team has helped that...although I think the 1 game playoff probably should be expanded, although I understand the concept of making it a winner take all, I just don't love that format in baseball).

I was going to suggest making the wild card play-in a 3 game series, given the sample size nerd in me, but there is something almost magical about those play-in games. I have fallen in love with them.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 24, 2015 -> 11:02 AM)
I'd start the season on a Thursday, and end the season on a Wednesday night with 15 games being played simultaneously.

Postseason:

Play-In Wildcard Game

Division Series and LCS both best-of-5, and World Series best-of-7

Game 7 of the World Series 28 days after the end of the season.

Too short! What's the point of playing a marathon 162-game season if the far-more-prestigious playoff winner is only determined after 3 wins?

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Feb 24, 2015 -> 11:06 AM)
Too short! What's the point of playing a marathon 162-game season if the far-more-prestigious playoff winner is only determined after 3 wins?

It's a small sample no matter what. Making the World Series the only best-of-7 makes it more prestigious. And in my opinion, get winning, or go home.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 24, 2015 -> 11:09 AM)
It's a small sample no matter what. Making the World Series the only best-of-7 makes it more prestigious. And in my opinion, get winning, or go home.

I see your point (and I feel like we talked about this before!) but that just feels like too much of an F.U. to the regular season. 154 games and best-of-7 series wouldn't suddenly restore order to the world, but it's at least a little better.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Feb 24, 2015 -> 11:17 AM)
I see your point (and I feel like we talked about this before!) but that just feels like too much of an F.U. to the regular season. 154 games and best-of-7 series wouldn't suddenly restore order to the world, but it's at least a little better.

The schedule is definitely one of my baseball pet peeves.

Now if only they would eliminate divisions too, then we'd have something...

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 24, 2015 -> 12:27 PM)
I don't really see the point of shortening the season by one week. I can't see how that would make any sort of difference

I get the weather issues but have always thought there's a surprisingly simple solution - everyone in the northeast starts the season with a 6 game road trip unless they have a dome.

Gets a little cold in the November part too...but that's as much for TV scheduling as anything and I don't want to lose games because TV needs an offday.

My first instinct was to say no way, but as I think about it more I could see it being a decent idea. I'm probably in the minority, but I think spring training is too long. However, I couldn't very well argue to start the season early because of weather concerns...unless they somehow worked the schedule to where the first week+ is played in warm areas and/or domes. I also understand the reasoning for the long spring training.

Baseball being played until damn near November is a recipe for disaster, especially if the World Series ended up being the Sox vs. the Mets (or similar cold climate areas). That's certainly a pro for shortening the season by a week.

I also have an issue with the limited number of teams that make the playoffs. Along with the long season, some teams are essentially eliminated in July. I'd like to see a better playoff system, but to do that, you'd have to shorten the season (by more than 8 games). Adding the second WC team was a good start, though.

I like 154. It works better with the added wild card to the post season.

But how funny that he wants to speed up the game AND add more offense, which are opposites. The more offense you add by taking away the low strike, the longer the innings, the more frequent the pitching changes, the higher the pitch counts, etc. And no matter how effective the clock would be on pitchers and hitters, it won’t offset the added time for longer offensive innings.