Who's on Second?

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 13, 2015 -> 03:06 PM)
To look at how those are impacting in balance, Alexei has -0.3 fWAR while Semien has 1.2 fWAR.

Small picture. Great. Big picture, his hitting isn't sustainable, but his bad defense is. He is about at bad at SS as he was at 3B last season.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 13, 2015 -> 04:30 PM)
Small picture. Great. Big picture, his hitting isn't sustainable, but his bad defense is. He is about at bad at SS as he was at 3B last season.

Out of qualified 2b, Micah Johnson has the worst overall fielding out of any 2b, worse than Robinson Cano. Given what you just said, you'd apply that same standard and say that Micah needs replaced and is a major issue with this team right?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 13, 2015 -> 02:30 PM)

Right but he would have been our 2B, and if he's been worse than Micah, it sure can't be by much.

I'm not suggesting renegging the trade or anything, I was just shocked at how well he's hitting.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 14, 2015 -> 11:24 AM)
Which is the exact opposite of how they are with them in the minor leagues.

Eh, sort of.

They are aggressive with placement, but patient with how long they give them to work on problems. Perfect example was Hawkins playing through his disaster year.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 13, 2015 -> 09:48 PM)
Right but he would have been our 2B, and if he's been worse than Micah, it sure can't be by much.

I'm not suggesting renegging the trade or anything, I was just shocked at how well he's hitting.

nice post, i was not a fan of this trade, then, but i can understand the reasoning. it just didn't panned out as hoped.

I'm still not a fan of trading Semien for what could be one year of Samardzijia (much less THIS version of him), but I feel his numbers are misleading. His walk rate is the lowest of his career (6.6%), he's still striking out 20% of the time, and his BABIP is like 30 points higher than his previous full-season high (.359 vs .323). I'd bet he's due for a regression soon, and I don't think that version of Semien makes up for his defense.