Who's on Second?

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 11:11 AM)
Eaton said Micah Johnson approaches his craft "like a different Jose Abreu. Works hard, very professional, always bouncing ideas off guys.

https://twitter.com/CST_soxvan/status/577877964387328001

We can only hope he has his "head in it" as much as Jose seems to.

Jose has the student-of-hitting look that reminds of some of the greats from the past. He just might live up to that standard.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 02:22 PM)
When's the last time you guys can remember when the Sox seemingly went so far out of there way to promote one young player for a starting position in the face of other candidates?

Struggling to find a similar example.

To be fair, the other "candidates" we are talking about here are a bunch of no hit infielders. Johnson's speed at least has the chance to be a game changing skill. NONE of the other possess anything like that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 02:42 PM)
To be fair, the other "candidates" we are talking about here are a bunch of no hit infielders. Johnson's speed at least has the chance to be a game changing skill. NONE of the other possess anything like that.

He's also patient with the bat.

He's much more talented than the other guys. My only concern is with rushing him.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 02:22 PM)
When's the last time you guys can remember when the Sox seemingly went so far out of there way to promote one young player for a starting position in the face of other candidates?

Struggling to find a similar example.

I think Johnson's play is promoting Johnson.

Edited by asindc

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 09:08 AM)
Ken Rosenthal notes from around the league including micah johnson.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/new-yor...res-vibe-031715

I like reading this... This is fixable.

“It seems like with preventative measures, I could have done better,” said Johnson, who stole a combined 84 bases at three levels in 2013, but managed only 22 last season.

“Yoga was just one of those things I got into. I didn’t have anything else to do. I was doing heavy lifting in the offseason. And to counteract that heavy lifting, I tried to stay flexible, stay on the field.”

How did it go?

“The people in there are amazing -- 50-year-old ladies standing on their head and stuff,” Johnson said, smiling. “And I’m just trying to do the downward dog, a simple pose.”

Johnson also plays piano and guitar to help refine his concentration, and he took painting classes during the offseason as well.

“It just helps my focus,” Johnson said of his artistic endeavors. “A lot of my errors came on not focusing. A piano piece, for me I’m such a perfectionist, I have to finish that piece perfectly. If I don’t, I start again.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 07:44 AM)
We've seen these reports for a couple years now. His mistakes on defense were usually a lack of focus or trying to get to cute. Those are very much fixable.

What I like about Micah is not only does he have some nice tools, he seems to have a really solid head on his shoulders and in baseball, more than any other sport, I think that is critical. Failures mount up in baseball and it takes serious adversity and mental fortitude to make it through it (along with hard work, skills, ability to adjust, etc).

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 19, 2015 -> 03:01 AM)
Trailing the pack by 14 lengths Gordon Beckham starts making his move. Coming up on the outside now trailing by 7 lengths after a massive display of raw power today with 2 doubles and a HR , secure in the knowledge that front runners almost always fade and rarely win the race. :P

very creative. i like it.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 03:49 PM)
With all the Micah Johnson talk, I was surprised to see Carlos Sanchez rocking a .348/.400/.348 line into today.

Like others have said, i think its the "wow" factor and game changing ability that micah bring that makes him the easier choice.

Im glad Sanchez is having a great spring though, its good to have multiple options.

southsidesox.com brought up a good point; where do we stand with the 2B battle?

Micah Johnson and Carlos Sanchez's numbers up to this point:

Johnson- .333/.388/.467 1 HR, 6 RBI, 3/4 SB, 3 errors

Sanchez- .355/.429/.355 0 HR, 4 RBI, 1/1 SB, 1 error

One thing in Sanchez's favor is that he's already on the 40-man roster while room would have to be created for Johnson.

Johnson brings game changing speed and more of an impact with his bat, though his defense can be shaky at times. Sanchez provides good defense and is solid all-around, though he doesn't stand out in any area.

QUOTE (Señor Ding-Dong @ Mar 29, 2015 -> 01:41 PM)
southsidesox.com brought up a good point; where do we stand with the 2B battle?

Micah Johnson and Carlos Sanchez's numbers up to this point:

Johnson- .333/.388/.467 1 HR, 6 RBI, 3/4 SB, 3 errors

Sanchez- .355/.429/.355 0 HR, 4 RBI, 1/1 SB, 1 error

One thing in Sanchez's favor is that he's already on the 40-man roster while room would have to be created for Johnson.

Johnson brings game changing speed and more of an impact with his bat, though his defense can be shaky at times. Sanchez provides good defense and is solid all-around, though he doesn't stand out in any area.

wow, that is close. Sanchez is having a real nice, quiet spring. this is a choice that is hard for a coach to make, and i am glad i am not making it.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 29, 2015 -> 08:45 AM)
wow, that is close. Sanchez is having a real nice, quiet spring. this is a choice that is hard for a coach to make, and i am glad i am not making it.

Johnson turns 25 this year if that affects management thinking.