Who's on Second?

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 12:33 PM)
If Johnson wins the job, what happens to Sanchez? Do they keep him or try and move him?

Almost assuredly keep him, at least for this year. I think the org has him above Saladino on the depth chart, and possibly (hopefully) Beckham too. Its a good problem to have.

That said I think Sanchez probably makes the MLB bench of Johnson wins the 2B job.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 01:41 PM)
Almost assuredly keep him, at least for this year. I think the org has him above Saladino on the depth chart, and possibly (hopefully) Beckham too. Its a good problem to have.

That said I think Sanchez probably makes the MLB bench of Johnson wins the 2B job.

Sanchez is still extremely young - dude turns 23 in June. He could bounce back and forth between the bigs and the minors for 3 years and still be a guy you say "he's young enough that his best years are still ahead of him".

Plus, I typically think guys like him, players who are versatile, put teh bat on the ball, but aren't flashy and don't have any big tools, are often undervalued in trades.

I wouldn't be suprised to see Beckham be the starting 2B, but I'd like to see Sanchez. He did a decent job there last year, and it would be nice to see how he can handle it full time. Besides, we can hear Hawk talk about how he LOOKS like Miguel Cabrera but doesn't HIT like him.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 02:18 PM)
I've seen "The Sox want Micah to win the job" an awful lot in the last few months and I'm curious what is making people say that so often. Is there something specific you can point to? Just that's he the better prospect and they want all the better prospects to do well? I think I have an idea but I want to hear what people say first.

No kidding. Repeat it enough and I guess it becomes a fact. I've seen NOTHING from the Sox that indicates they think Micah is anything other than a future utility guy.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 07:17 PM)
No kidding. Repeat it enough and I guess it becomes a fact. I've seen NOTHING from the Sox that indicates they think Micah is anything other than a future utility guy.

Hawk talked a lot about Johnson being a future star. When Beckham was traded last year, there was something on twitter I believe where he said Johnson was the 2B of the future. Also, I believe he had a great chance of being a September call-up last year and getting the ABs at 2nd if he didn't get hurt.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 01:17 PM)

First, you have seen zero people around the game say he's a future utility guy. To be a utility guy you need to be able to defend multiple positions competently - he is having a hard time with one and hasn't played any others in his pro career.

Second, if you listen to words from Rick Hahn himself, they hint strongly at him getting the starting gig. Also, read what the beat writers are saying - that isn't coming from nowhere, they are there on the ground getting a feel for things, and this is their impression too. Hawk too, and again, he has the pulse.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 01:35 PM)
I'm looking for the PRIMARY SOURCE on this Micah hype. Like, Rick Hahn saying "we think he's the 2B of the future".

FFS someone, post it please and I will shut up about it. I'm so sick of the Micah hype, it's like officially a thing and I'm not sure how the hell it ever got to be a thing.

Scott Merkin, the Sox MLB.com beat writer and a good barometer of how the team sees guys, wrote a full article in the fall predicated on the idea of him being the guy but Johnson not wanting to take if for granted.

Bruce Levine (whom I dislike as a writer but he's close to the teams) specifically said that management sees him as the guy.

Then there are the facts other have said - he was hinted as a September call-up last year, for example.

It's been pretty obvious for a while they see him as the guy, either now or very soon.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 01:17 PM)

You haven't been listening at all. Hawk has been bordering on sexual assault in some of his talks about Johnson.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 01:47 PM)
Scott Merkin, the Sox MLB.com beat writer and a good barometer of how the team sees guys, wrote a full article in the fall predicated on the idea of him being the guy but Johnson not wanting to take if for granted.

Bruce Levine (whom I dislike as a writer but he's close to the teams) specifically said that management sees him as the guy.

Then there are the facts other have said - he was hinted as a September call-up last year, for example.

It's been pretty obvious for a while they see him as the guy, either now or very soon.

Yes, and either Merkin, Hayes or Levine reported last September that the 2B job was Johnson's to lose.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 02:47 PM)

Thanks for this. If you ever read Larry on SSS I'm the exact same way on Micah. I don't see the hype and I guess I don't see why the hell the Sox do. I mean, WTF has he done other than put together 200 nice PA in high A ball? He hasn't even STAYED HEALTHY in for a full season yet.

FFS, back the hype train up on this guy.

The Sox can totally carry Sanchez' 240/280/330 if he's 10 runs above average at 2B, and I think he is. Micah won't hit much more than that and he might be -20 runs at 2B.

Put him AAA, wtf is the rush.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 02:05 PM)
Thanks for this. If you ever read Larry on SSS I'm the exact same way on Micah. I don't see the hype and I guess I don't see why the hell the Sox do. I mean, WTF has he done other than put together 200 nice PA in high A ball? He hasn't even STAYED HEALTHY in for a full season yet.

The Sox can totally carry Sanchez' 240/280/330 if he's 10 runs above average at 2B, and I think he is. Micah won't hit much more than that and he might be -20 runs at 2B.

The hype is not many guys have the 80 speed he has. Remember, he was the 2nd leading base stealer in all of the minors in 2013 behind only Billy Hamilton. You can't teach that. Speed like that changes games.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 03:07 PM)
The hype is not many guys have the 80 speed he has. Remember, he was the 2nd leading base stealer in all of the minors in 2013 behind only Billy Hamilton. You can't teach that. Speed like that changes games.

Too bad they aren't fielding a track team. Seriously though, he's gotta translate that speed to production. AAA is the place to start proving it. Hamilton also plays a a solid CF, something Micah hasn't proven he can do at 2B.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 02:13 PM)
Too bad they aren't fielding a track team. Seriously though, he's gotta translate that speed to production. AAA is the place to start proving it. Hamilton also plays a a solid CF, something Micah hasn't proven he can do at 2B.

As quick as he has gone through the minors, plus having a nagging hammy injury last year, there is nothing wrong with his "production".

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 02:15 PM)
As quick as he has gone through the minors, plus having a nagging hammy injury last year, there is nothing wrong with his "production".

Or let me put it this way.

Hamilton for a minor league career has put up a .716 OPS, while Johnson has put up a .790.

There were only 4 2B in all of baseball to be 10 runs above average last year and only one guy was worse than 6 runs below average (Altuve at -10). So you think Sanchez will be a top 4-5 fielding 2B straight out of the gate and that Johnson will be twice as bad as the current worst fielding 2B in the game. I doubt that.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 08:05 PM)

sorry but i am coming late to this party. i am a big fan of Micah.

so if a team who are making a living as scouts and judging talent see potential, they get excited about it. Micah may have all that kind of potential oozing out of him. Look at the hype on Rodon. he never played a full season in the minors and look the hype.

sometime people need to have faith on the people who does this. not to pick and choose which hype to believe in.

#1, I don't know how you can figure that Micah is a -20 at 2B while Sanchez is a +10. That's a 3 WAR difference. That's the difference between the Pedroia (20.3) and Jose Altuve (-10). Those are first and last on the list. That's absurdly large.

#2, I don't understand why you feel that Johnson is THAT poor of a defender. His hands aren't soft and the arm isn't great, but he's got a good deal of range.

#3, I don't think there's a rush. I think if he impresses the coaches enough and they feel he's the guy for the job, they'll go with him. I don't think anything's guaranteed.

He may be in AAA. And while Larry doesn't like Micah a lot, I'm sure he is well aware of the org's liking him for the job.