Who's on Second?

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am also team Micah, I like the speed he would bring to the bottom of the line up. I think he can hold his own in the MLB, he doesn't need to be a savior or turn into an all-star in order for this team to succeed. He just needs to fit in and be an average 2B fielding and hitting wise. I think putting him on the team with a lot of good players and some veterans will help him a lot with knowing he doesn't have to "carry" the team. Which is one reason why I thought Beckham never succeeded after his first 2 years

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 03:35 PM)
#1, I don't know how you can figure that Micah is a -20 at 2B while Sanchez is a +10. That's a 3 WAR difference. That's the difference between the Pedroia (20.3) and Jose Altuve (-10). Those are first and last on the list. That's absurdly large.

#2, I don't understand why you feel that Johnson is THAT poor of a defender. His hands aren't soft and the arm isn't great, but he's got a good deal of range.

#3, I don't think there's a rush. I think if he impresses the coaches enough and they feel he's the guy for the job, they'll go with him. I don't think anything's guaranteed.

FWIW---- Johnson has a career .959 fielding average in the minors. Sanchez is .973

Johnson needs more time in AAA.

The White Sox were one of the worst fielding teams in baseball last season. Johnson would make them a little worse ( compared to Beckham )since only LF will have a new face and Alexei is a year older.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 09:48 PM)
Ya, I'm not one of Micah's biggest fan but it's obvious that the organization does love him.

while you may be right, i don't know if it is love, but more like he is still considered a prospect with potential. man this systems needs more prospects. plain and simple.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 01:40 PM)
Haha. We'll all crash the Team Beckham victory party, which is just elrockin sitting by himself at the Big Hurt brewpub.

Don't forget Dick Allen. And Marty. So there's at least 3.

One of the recent scouting comments was basically his biggest concern being turning the double play/pivot/transition...and that if he couldn't master that skill, he would have to play LF (which isn't going to work for the Sox, he would he be minor league depth for injury or trade bait).

Edited by caulfield12

I think right now it's hard to pick. While I love Johnson's speed we need a good glove. I think Johnson will hit better also but I'd have to wait till after spring training to choose. I'd like to see how well Johnsons glove plays. If I had to pick right now though I'd have to go with Sanchez. The other 2 or 3 would really have to impress me.

100% hoping that Micah wins the 2B job. I really like Carlos, but he projects much better as a reserve infielder. If I'm going to give everyday at-bats to a prospect in a season I'm serious about winning, then I definitely want it to be a guy who can possibly be the long-term answer at the position. Unfortunately, Sanchez's upside is pretty limited offensively IMO.

I actually think a lot of people are sleeping on Micah. He might of had some struggles along the way, but the Sox pushed him through four levels over the past two years. And yes, I know he was a college draftee, but he missed half of his junior season due to an elbow injury. The fact is the Sox have been fairly aggressive with him and despite that he's had a couple stretches of dominance. His AA performance in particular was quite impressive and sold me on him as legit prospect. If healthy, and that's the biggest concern IMO, he can be a dynamic offensive player. Defensively he needs some work, but playing everyday with Alexei and working with the major league coaching staff might be good for his development.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 09:39 PM)
100% hoping that Micah wins the 2B job. I really like Carlos, but he projects much better as a reserve infielder. If I'm going to give everyday at-bats to a prospect in a season I'm serious about winning, then I definitely want it to be a guy who can possibly be the long-term answer at the position. Unfortunately, Sanchez's upside is pretty limited offensively IMO.

I actually think a lot of people are sleeping on Micah. He might of had some struggles along the way, but the Sox pushed him through four levels over the past two years. And yes, I know he was a college draftee, but he missed half of his junior season due to an elbow injury. The fact is the Sox have been fairly aggressive with him and despite that he's had a couple stretches of dominance. His AA performance in particular was quite impressive and sold me on him as legit prospect. If healthy, and that's the biggest concern IMO, he can be a dynamic offensive player. Defensively he needs some work, but playing everyday with Alexei and working with the major league coaching staff might be good for his development.

Agreed.

Johnson might bust, and players drafted in his round aren't normally expected to make the majors, let alone morph into an All-Star, but he has the most potential and projects to make quite an impact with his speed and athleticism.

You can't have dynamic players at every position on the field, obviously, but Sanchez would be hard-pressed to ever get much above 650ish in terms of OPS. Most would guess he'd end up between 575 and 650 if they had to bet their house on it.

In other words, he won't kill you, but he's also not the type of player who will make a huge difference in making a playoff run either (the definition of a complementary/team chemistry player)...the only reason to start him is if his defense is 5X better than Johnson's, or Micah doesn't have his legs/hamstrings 100% healthy.

Edited by caulfield12

I disagree with the idea that Micah has a high floor. He's a guy with a questionable bat, bad defense, and constant injury concerns. He isn't exactly stuffed to the gills with MLB skills, at least as far as we can tell. I think Sanchez is the higher floor player for sure, which may be why he wins the job.

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 27, 2015 -> 12:59 PM)
I disagree with the idea that Micah has a high floor. He's a guy with a questionable bat, bad defense, and constant injury concerns. He isn't exactly stuffed to the gills with MLB skills, at least as far as we can tell. I think Sanchez is the higher floor player for sure, which may be why he wins the job.

you may be right, but i am willing to give him, and all prospects a chance to show what they have. his past several yrs has been incomplete due to injuries.

my opinion.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 05:27 PM)
FWIW---- Johnson has a career .959 fielding average in the minors. Sanchez is .973

Johnson needs more time in AAA.

The White Sox were one of the worst fielding teams in baseball last season. Johnson would make them a little worse ( compared to Beckham )since only LF will have a new face and Alexei is a year older.

Fielding percentage is a pretty weak indicator of true defensive ability, and it's not as if making 96% of the plays that you get to is unacceptable. Sanchez makes 97.5%, so in theory, Sanchez makes one or two more outs per 100 plays than Johnson. That doesn't include the idea that Johnson may exhibit better range than Sanchez given his superior athleticism, but it's also not counting plays that Sanchez may make because of a stronger arm either. I haven't seen a ton of Johnson in the field but there's no reason to assume that he's bad.

Also, depending on what metric you use, the Sox were OK and nowhere near one of the worst fielding teams in the league last year. 3B, 1B, and RF were their primary weak spots. Probably average or so overall. And really, they haven't done much to change that in the starters - Cabrera is probably going to be similar to De Aza, Garcia has better instincts but is still awkward like Viciedo, and 2B should be about a wash overall.

Really, I don't care who starts, I just want whoever is the best player to start at 2B.

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 27, 2015 -> 02:05 PM)
Vince Coleman specifically mentioned Johnson (along with Adam Eaton) as a guy that he'd be working with this Spring. Coleman also said that he (Coleman) would be working out of Chicago all year after Spring Training, so... there's that.

at least he will be a hands on type of coach. no matter what, he can help the team.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 07:48 PM)
Don't forget Dick Allen. And Marty. So there's at least 3.

One of the recent scouting comments was basically his biggest concern being turning the double play/pivot/transition...and that if he couldn't master that skill, he would have to play LF (which isn't going to work for the Sox, he would he be minor league depth for injury or trade bait).

Sanchez looked good last year turning two in a limited sample size in Chicago.

Not to mention that most of the better candidates to work with for Coleman are already with the White Sox.

Other than a few guys, like Tim Anderson, Engel, Jacob May...we're not exactly swimming in speed-based players. Hawkins can run a bit, but his body is more like Avisail, where he needs more time to reach full acceleration.

At this point, they're not going to invest too much time in Mitchell or Thompson.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 27, 2015 -> 09:04 AM)
Fielding percentage is a pretty weak indicator of true defensive ability, and it's not as if making 96% of the plays that you get to is unacceptable. Sanchez makes 97.5%, so in theory, Sanchez makes one or two more outs per 100 plays than Johnson. That doesn't include the idea that Johnson may exhibit better range than Sanchez given his superior athleticism, but it's also not counting plays that Sanchez may make because of a stronger arm either. I haven't seen a ton of Johnson in the field but there's no reason to assume that he's bad.

Also, depending on what metric you use, the Sox were OK and nowhere near one of the worst fielding teams in the league last year. 3B, 1B, and RF were their primary weak spots. Probably average or so overall. And really, they haven't done much to change that in the starters - Cabrera is probably going to be similar to De Aza, Garcia has better instincts but is still awkward like Viciedo, and 2B should be about a wash overall.

Really, I don't care who starts, I just want whoever is the best player to start at 2B.

Fielding % and range factor combined are a pretty good indicator. Sanchez at second had better range as well. To put the fielding % in real numbers, they both played about 60 games at 2nd base. Sanchez got to more balls and made 4 errors and Johnson made 9 errors.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Feb 28, 2015 -> 06:33 AM)
Team Semien

:'(

*finally creeping out of the bush he's been weeping under since the Samardzija trade*

Don't cry Feeky -- Dayan Viciedo is on the Blue Jays now!

Edited by Eminor3rd

There it is! The usual ST article about Beckham's new approach to hitting, or how he's matured, or how this year he will figure it out etc etc.

I don't know which is more annoying, Beckham or Levine.

Maybe I should start a poll. :lol: