Viciedo to Blue Jays

flavum

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 09:57 AM)
enough time and money has been wasted on Viciedo

Does not hurt to sign him to a minor league deal with a team that he is already comfortable with.

Plus, I bet he would mash at that park.

Edited by SoxPride18

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 09:59 AM)
Honestly, I can't help but think maybe a trip to Charlotte would change his mind on the adjustments the team has been trying to get him to make for years.

Are there crazy pills being handed out that i missed? The guy has never made adjustments necessary at the major league level, he spent plenty of time in the minors. He has been sent packing TWICE in this calendar year. That isnt someone who i see as someone that the Sox need to waste more money on.

If they do, I will be very disappointed.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 10:30 AM)
Are there crazy pills being handed out that i missed? The guy has never made adjustments necessary at the major league level, he spent plenty of time in the minors. He has been sent packing TWICE in this calendar year. That isnt someone who i see as someone that the Sox need to waste more money on.

Why? If Something were to happened to LaRoche or Abreu, not saying Viciedo would be my #1 go to, but sure as hell better than Neftali Soto. He has at least proven he can hit 20+ home runs in the MLB.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 10:30 AM)

I think you have Beckham Syndrome. If Viciedo were just the Blue Jay's failed prospect, no one would have a problem with bringing him in on a minor league deal. But because he is our failed prospect, somehow he is a complete lost cause.

All you have to do is look at the reaction to bringing Kyle Drabek to see the difference. Drabek was a very highly rated prospect who has busted, hardcore. He has a major hole in his game, namely control, not to mention two major arm surgeries. But there was basically no opposition to the Sox claiming him on waivers.

Sox fans have to take off those Sox colored glasses sometimes.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 03:59 PM)
Honestly, I can't help but think maybe a trip to Charlotte would change his mind on the adjustments the team has been trying to get him to make for years.

it is a waste..... the first yrs he listen to the coaches.... then he stop. why??? does he knows more than the coaches....

time to cut and run. i really hoped he saved his money.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 04:33 PM)
Why? If Something were to happened to LaRoche or Abreu, not saying Viciedo would be my #1 go to, but sure as hell better than Neftali Soto. He has at least proven he can hit 20+ home runs in the MLB.

a pitch hitter, is a special kind of talent. they will need to put their aggressive hitting approach aside and try to hit for special situations.

question, has DV proven to be that kind of hitter???

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 04:38 PM)
I think you have Beckham Syndrome. If Viciedo were just the Blue Jay's failed prospect, no one would have a problem with bringing him in on a minor league deal. But because he is our failed prospect, somehow he is a complete lost cause.

All you have to do is look at the reaction to bringing Kyle Drabek to see the difference. Drabek was a very highly rated prospect who has busted, hardcore. He has a major hole in his game, namely control, not to mention two major arm surgeries. But there was basically no opposition to the Sox claiming him on waivers.

you know, you may be right, but maybe he does not want a minor league contract.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 10:53 AM)
it is a waste..... the first yrs he listen to the coaches.... then he stop. why??? does he knows more than the coaches....

time to cut and run. i really hoped he saved his money.

We bring in these types of guys all of the time. It isn't a waste, it is looking to exploit a market inefficiency. That is exactly why we claimed Kyle Drabek. What do you think Hector Noesi was? Zach Putnam? Javy Guerra? Dayan Viciedo has a higher ceiling then all of those guys. On a minor league deal, it hurts no one.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 10:58 AM)
you know, you may be right, but maybe he does not want a minor league contract.

He just got let go from a minor league deal with TOR. No team was willing to offer him a major league deal. That won't change with less than a week until opening day.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 10:38 AM)

Drabek had two tommy john surgeries, they arent even close to the same thing. This isnt Drabek having 4 years in the majors and failing by doing the exact same thing over and over. Viciedo cant play defense, he cant draw walks, he cant hit for average. So he can hit 20 homeruns....maybe. This isnt sox colored glasses, this is a reality. Im done with him, im glad they let him go

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 10:35 AM)
Kyle mad.

But I agree, very little to gain here. I prefer we cut the cord with the long time failures.

Im not mad, I just think it is a waste of time. To be honest I would rather they hung on to Sierra in the offseason

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 11:02 AM)
Drabek had two tommy john surgeries, they arent even close to the same thing. This isnt Drabek having 4 years in the majors and failing by doing the exact same thing over and over. Viciedo cant play defense, he cant draw walks, he cant hit for average. So he can hit 20 homeruns....maybe. This isnt sox colored glasses, this is a reality. Im done with him, im glad they let him go

I think Drabek with two major arm surgeries has a bigger red flag then a guy who has simply failed at the major league level.

Drabek can't stay healthy, and when he is, he can't find the strike zone. When he does find the strike zone, he can't get major league hitters out. The difference is that Kyle Drabek is going to be on our major league roster come April 6.

In reality, bringing Drabek isn't any different then bringing in Viciedo on a minor league deal.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 03:59 PM)
We bring in these types of guys all of the time. It isn't a waste, it is looking to exploit a market inefficiency. That is exactly why we claimed Kyle Drabek. What do you think Hector Noesi was? Zach Putnam? Javy Guerra? Dayan Viciedo has a higher ceiling then all of those guys. On a minor league deal, it hurts no one.

pls don't get me wrong, its like finding a diamond in the ruff so to speak.

but the sox has a history with DV.... here is a perfect example. runners on 1 and 2, DV is up, all he needed to do was move them over. a simple hit to the first base side, sacrifice your at bat.... did he, no he hit it to LF.

2 yrs ago, now for the disclaimer, was it the coaches fault or DV..... did DV blew off the coaches.

the sox have a history with him, plus, would he accept a minor league deal??

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 04:02 PM)

Im not mad, I just think it is a waste of time. To be honest I would rather they hung on to Sierra in the offseason

i totally agree, for DV it is a hr or nothing, a team can not carry a hr kind of guy anymore. times have change.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 04:06 PM)
I think Drabek with two major arm surgeries has a bigger red flag then a guy who has simply failed at the major league level.

Drabek can't stay healthy, and when he is, he can't find the strike zone. When he does find the strike zone, he can't get major league hitters out. The difference is that Kyle Drabek is going to be on our major league roster come April 6.

In reality, bringing Drabek isn't any different then bringing in Viciedo on a minor league deal.

well this is another subject, but i wasn't too keen on getting Drabek. i think this is a owners looking out for others in the family kind of deal.

there has to be better options that are being release now. it is an understanding

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 12:13 PM)
well this is another subject, but i wasn't too keen on getting Drabek. i think this is a owners looking out for others in the family kind of deal.

there has to be better options that are being release now. it is an understanding

I disagree. That just seems like a guy the White Sox have had whispers around for years, ever since his first TJS or so, as a guy that maybe we could do something with his mechanics. We've got a history of doing that successfully.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 05:36 PM)
I disagree. That just seems like a guy the White Sox have had whispers around for years, ever since his first TJS or so, as a guy that maybe we could do something with his mechanics. We've got a history of doing that successfully.

well i can accept that you disagree and per your opinions are valid ones.

but this is a sop for the org, to get these players and hope to get them where they become a viable option for the club.

i will hate to add this but.... but it all comes back to the money. trying to save money by not addressing the total need of the club.

now, the rhetorical question.... how many times has the club done this?? how many times were the club close to be a major players in the playoff?? just b/c they didn't want to spend for that last player.

in the last yr or 2 the answer is 2..... Hector.

now it is simple.... keep dumpster diving and there are other players being release who HAS to be a better option than Penny.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 11:59 AM)
well i can accept that you disagree and per your opinions are valid ones.

but this is a sop for the org, to get these players and hope to get them where they become a viable option for the club.

i will hate to add this but.... but it all comes back to the money. trying to save money by not addressing the total need of the club.

now, the rhetorical question.... how many times has the club done this?? how many times were the club close to be a major players in the playoff?? just b/c they didn't want to spend for that last player.

in the last yr or 2 the answer is 2..... Hector.

now it is simple.... keep dumpster diving and there are other players being release who HAS to be a better option than Penny.

Would you give this a rest? JR has always spent money when it makes sense. They aren't picking up guys like Noesi and Drabek to come in and be saviors. They pick them up because they see some potential and there is basically zero risk involved. They scooped Quintana up off the scrap heap after 2011 and look at what he's become. They could have gone out and spent 8 figures on CJ Wilson or Edwin Jackson that winter but they're smarter than that. Apparently you want them to spend money just to spend money. You buy enough lottery tickets and eventually you're going to win.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 06:10 PM)
Would you give this a rest? JR has always spent money when it makes sense. They aren't picking up guys like Noesi and Drabek to come in and be saviors. They pick them up because they see some potential and there is basically zero risk involved. They scooped Quintana up off the scrap heap after 2011 and look at what he's become. They could have gone out and spent 8 figures on CJ Wilson or Edwin Jackson that winter but they're smarter than that. Apparently you want them to spend money just to spend money. You buy enough lottery tickets and eventually you're going to win.

you are looking at one point to find an argument. i am not and that is why i paraphase my sentence the way i did, to acknowledge their is 1 important part of my statement that i did not want to dwell on. but it has to be said.

zero risk involvement, and that is why the sox has 1 WS win when they could have had more. Zero risk involvement maybe to the undoing of this great team assembled this yr. Zero risk involvement is what the owners want the fans to think about and accept, with blinders on.

so pls keep on looking at it with zero risk involvement not to have any voice.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 12:18 PM)
you are looking at one point to find an argument. i am not and that is why i paraphase my sentence the way i did, to acknowledge their is 1 important part of my statement that i did not want to dwell on. but it has to be said.

zero risk involvement, and that is why the sox has 1 WS win when they could have had more. Zero risk involvement maybe to the undoing of this great team assembled this yr. Zero risk involvement is what the owners want the fans to think about and accept, with blinders on.

so pls keep on looking at it with zero risk involvement not to have any voice.

I haven't the slightest clue what you are trying to say here. Are you saying the Sox don't take any risks? They just spent $61 million on relievers this offseason and last offseason they gave $68 million to a player who had never played in the Majors. Those are about as big of risks as you can take, but you've been harping in every single thread about how they won't spend any money.