Final Four

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 6, 2015 -> 10:19 PM)
1) Winslow should have been called for a charge, initiating contact

2) Winslow was out of bounds before he threw it into Okafor for 3 point play in paint

3) Ball off Duke player's fingertips (Jefferson or Winslow)

Allen and Jones clearly won this game for Duke.

Wisky panicked down the stretch.

It had a lot to do with them ending up winning but Wisconsin also choked a bit. That plus Jones.

Welcome to the hall of "almost" since 2000 Wisconsin.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 6, 2015 -> 09:23 PM)
Wisconsin could have played better, they didnt. Tough game to lose but they didnt play that well on offense.

Dekker and Gasser didn't do anything from outside.

Both were battling some physical problems as well, but great teams get it done.

You sure thought WI had a good chance at that game up 9.

Not sure how long before they'll have enough talent to get to the championship game again, Kaminsky and likely Dekker will both be gone, along with Gasser, Jackson and Dukan.

Coach K now 5-6 in championship games.

Would have liked to see the outcome if they called Winslow out of bounds and also the ball NOT off Koenig there at the end. Two simply huge calls.

Again, though, Grayson Allen and Tyus Jones carried Duke and couldn't be denied....especially Allen scoring those 8 points in a row when the lead had stretched out to 9.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Apr 7, 2015 -> 04:34 AM)
Just about killed any enjoyment left with college basketball. Winslow standing on the line, Winslow plows over defender, Winslow tips ball out of bounds. Just disgusting when only one team has a chance.

Been saying it all year, the college refs were awful. Quite a fitting end to the season.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 6, 2015 -> 09:28 PM)
The reality is Wisconsin may never have that good of a chance again. They werent a fluke, they could be the best team in basketball on any night.

Unfortunately tonight they had to play good, they played okay. That just wasnt enough.

They played very well (other than Dekker/Gasser shooting from outside) until they let Allen loose and couldn't find a single player to stop his drives to the basket.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 6, 2015 -> 10:28 PM)
The reality is Wisconsin may never have that good of a chance again. They werent a fluke, they could be the best team in basketball on any night.

Unfortunately tonight they had to play good, they played okay. That just wasnt enough.

Yeah, as long as Bo is still coaching you will be solid but this was pretty much the perfect storm with Kaminsky developing more than anyone could have ever dreamed. I'm sure there is someone on the bench who will surprise next year but it felt like this team had less depth than most Wisconsin teams and unlike most guys who don't get a lot of run early on but are still productive when they do (like Kaminsky), I don't see that guy this year. Vitto Brown has looked horrible whenever I've seen him play and there doesn't really appear to be a wing scorer ready to step up. They will need to get more production out of freshmen than usual but as long as Hayes doesn't go pro they will still be good with him and Koening (plus Bo).

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Apr 6, 2015 -> 10:34 PM)
Just about killed any enjoyment left with college basketball. Winslow standing on the line, Winslow plows over defender, Winslow tips ball out of bounds. Just disgusting when only one team has a chance.

Reminds me of Sean May against Illinois.

Edited by Soxfest

This was the most one sided officiated championship I can recall. Just brutal watching the last 15 minutes of this game. Wisconsin goes on their run and gets up 8 or 9 and then bam. Foul, foul, foul, foul, foul on Wisconsin.

1) Winslow plows through a guy on an obvious charge - block call

2) Winslow bowls over a player after a pass - no call

3) Tyus Jones throws his shoulder into Koenig's jaw - Wisconsin foul

4) Duke flop on the block - Offensive foul Wisconsin

5) Winslow steps on the line right in front of the official - play on

6) To everyone in the world outside of Duke Nation, the ball goes off Winslow - Duke ball

I feel bad for Wisconsin in this one. Impossible to win playing 5v8 like they did that second half. This is right up there with the Lakers-Kings Game 6 fiasco in my opinion

f*** duke, enjoy your tainted title. I'm not even a badgers fan but that game was really f***ing good until the refs decided to ruin it. If Duke was so good, they would have been able to come back without the help of the refs. They were sunk so the refs decided to help them.

Illinois fans out in full force with the officiating complaints! Nice to see. The most egregious to me was the out of bounds call. The video clearly confirmed the ball was out on Duke, but they decided there was indisputable evidence? That's when I think the replay system should be handled by some group sitting behind a bunch of monitors outside of the stadium. The refs are under a lot of pressure to get that call right and they make mistakes. Get someone else to make that call, someone that can spend 45 seconds looking at monitors. I don't see why that can't happen at some stage of the tournament. Maybe starting with weekend #2.

Wisconsin got screwed, but it didn't help that they also choked the last few minutes. That's what really did them in.

Next year should be interesting in the Big Ten. I think Maryland is easily the team to beat. If everyone for Indiana comes back they might be 2. OSU should be up there if the recruits gel. Wisconsin and MSU will hang around. Purdue, Illinois and Iowa are your bubble teams....again.

Why weren't there this many complaints about the missed shot clock violation late against Kentucky?

The refs weren't the best, but Duke played better down the stretch and earned the victory. Dekker was 0-6 from behind the arc, WI needed a couple of those to win, it didn't happen. If they played again today, might be a different story.